F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d Xdrive burning smell, down on power ?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
Gizzard
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Awesome 335d xdrive

335d Xdrive burning smell, down on power ?

Hi Guys.
I've only done approx 800 miles in my new car, the 335d xdrive and just beginning to give it some welly.
Last night on run home from work (30mins), I thought I smelled a burning smell from the drivers side of the engine bay.
I did smell similar when I picked it up from the dealer 3 weeks ago but I put that down to the car being new.
I lifted the bonnet and couldn't see anything wrong. Coolent levels OK, Oil levels OK.
This morning on run into work, I felt the car was maybe down on power.
Maybe my imagination after the burning smell etc., but I thought that the big push in the back you get when you floor it and the second turbo comes in just wasn't as spectacular as normal. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it ?
I'm going to see what its like over the weekend as I'm just not sure.
Anyone else experienced anything similar ?
Regards
Giz.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzard View Post
Hi Guys.
I've only done approx 800 miles in my new car, the 335d xdrive and just beginning to give it some welly.
Last night on run home from work (30mins), I thought I smelled a burning smell from the drivers side of the engine bay.
I did smell similar when I picked it up from the dealer 3 weeks ago but I put that down to the car being new.
I lifted the bonnet and couldn't see anything wrong. Coolent levels OK, Oil levels OK.
This morning on run into work, I felt the car was maybe down on power.
Maybe my imagination after the burning smell etc., but I thought that the big push in the back you get when you floor it and the second turbo comes in just wasn't as spectacular as normal. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it ?
I'm going to see what its like over the weekend as I'm just not sure.
Anyone else experienced anything similar ?
Regards
Giz.
If it was like a very hot exhaust, it could simply have been a DPF regeneration.

Not been a bit wary today of something being wrong, causing the brain to play ticks, have you? You wouldn't be the first one. I'd be observant of any changes, just to be sure it isn't more than a DPF burn off.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Gizzard
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If it was like a very hot exhaust, it could simply have been a DPF regeneration.

Not been a bit wary today of something being wrong, causing the brain to play ticks, have you? You wouldn't be the first one. I'd be observant of any changes, just to be sure it isn't more than a DPF burn off.

HighlandPete
You may be right Pete.
I'm going to see how it gets on over the weekend.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Gizzard
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

HighlandPete
Thanks Pete.
And on DPF generation....
Any idea in what area the smell would be if it was the DPF generation ?
I seemed to get the smell on the drivers side of the engine bay.
And might you know how often will it do this ?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzard View Post
Thanks Pete.
And on DPF generation....
Any idea in what area the smell would be if it was the DPF generation ?
I seemed to get the smell on the drivers side of the engine bay.
And might you know how often will it do this ?
Cheers
Yes, driver's side, exhaust manifold - turbo - Cat/DPF.

If this was the first time it had been worked a bit harder, it may have been the first regen'. Normally with decent hot runs it will be a passive regen', but if slower speeds or short trips, will instigate an active regen' when the parameters are met. Active regenerations can be between 300 - 600 miles according to use.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0