E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > OT: Leopard

10-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
OT: Leopard

For all the MAC fans out there

Arrived this afternoon and the upgrade went very smoothly - put the DVD in, clicked install, machine reboots and installs, keeping all settings such as email, bookmarks, files, preferences etc. Takes about 50 mins. Does a final reboot then take you to the login prompt. First login is slightly slower as it needs to recreate the spotlight database, but all my user settings were preserved. So far, I'm very impressed. Some applications seem to launch amazingly fast.

Only issue I have is that the Cisco VPN client I use for secure communications to work isn't working... so that means no working from home this weekend.
Attached Images

10-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

I had heard there were VPN issues .....

I also need to run iGate VPX tunnels which 10.4 didn't do either.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Should be able to get hold of version 4.9.01 (0080) on Monday which I understand works under 10.5
      10-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

Nice nice, I was supposed to get my copy today also but damn it I forgot it was coming out and went on a shopping spree like a fool.

F80 M3 Euro Delivered = Gone too Soon

e90 335i debadged = Gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
For all the MAC fans out there

Arrived this afternoon and the upgrade went very smoothly - put the DVD in, clicked install, machine reboots and installs, keeping all settings such as email, bookmarks, files, preferences etc. Takes about 50 mins. Does a final reboot then take you to the login prompt. First login is slightly slower as it needs to recreate the spotlight database, but all my user settings were preserved. So far, I'm very impressed. Some applications seem to launch amazingly fast.

Only issue I have is that the Cisco VPN client I use for secure communications to work isn't working... so that means no working from home this weekend.
Nice work Gordon!

Hope you enjoy using it.

I'll wait a little while before getting the iMac, I think.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Thanks Viv. No need to rush into getting an iMac - Apple is years ahead of MS in terms of product design and quality and I can't see MS catching up with Vista in the near future

To be honest, I'm guessing that underneath, 10.5 is basically just a bit of an evolution of 10.4, which for me was very stable and reliable.

Looking at the 3D reflective dock with the icons sitting on it, its like they are sitting on a tray right in front of me for real, and you now get a subtle dot of light underneath them to show the currently running applications. The whole thing is bloody marvellous
Attached Images

10-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Can you run streaming video from msnbc or windows media player files?
      10-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Bravecat
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport, Titainium Silver

Upgraded my mac today... took about an hour, when very smooth. Very impressed so far...
Current BMW: E90 330d M Sport, Titainium Silver, 18" M star spoke 193, Black Dakota Leather, Automatic Gearbox, Sliding Front Armrest, Electric Glass Sunroof, Rear-seats Folding Headrests , Professional Navigation System with iDrive, BMW Assist, Bluetooth Preparation with Telematics.

Previous BMW's: 2004 E60 530d SE Auto, 2001 E46 325i M Sport manual
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post
Can you run streaming video from msnbc or windows media player files?
Yes.
      10-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
steph.uk
325D E92
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport

Hey Mac users

I updated my MacBook and Imac yesterday and it all went fine.

No tantrum.

Even Vista i got on the MacBook still run fine. (got to have it to run a piece of specific software for uni)

It seems that both computer are now running a bit faster than before.

I truly think that Leopard is an evolution more of what is happening on the background of the Mac rather than bringing any fantastic new features.

That said, tiger was already so far in advance compare to MS that Apple did not have a lot to worry about on the graphic design of Leopard.

I switch 2 years ago and would never go back to MS

Can not wait for the Iphone next week, but still wonder if I should get one now or wait a couple of months..........what do you think guys?

Steph
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph.uk View Post
Hey Mac users

I updated my MacBook and Imac yesterday and it all went fine.

No tantrum.

Even Vista i got on the MacBook still run fine. (got to have it to run a piece of specific software for uni)

It seems that both computer are now running a bit faster than before.

I truly think that Leopard is an evolution more of what is happening on the background of the Mac rather than bringing any fantastic new features.

That said, tiger was already so far in advance compare to MS that Apple did not have a lot to worry about on the graphic design of Leopard.

I switch 2 years ago and would never go back to MS

Can not wait for the Iphone next week, but still wonder if I should get one now or wait a couple of months..........what do you think guys?

Steph
Even being an ardent Mac fan, I still have to say that I think the iPhone is overpriced for what it offers, even though it is a lovely device to own & use.

The factor 'banging the nail in the coffin', in my own personal view, is the poor tariffs offered by O2 to use the iPhone.

I think there are, & will be, better phones available, with better tariffs, way before the 'tie-in' period runs out for those taking out the O2/iPhone package.

Perhaps Apple/O2 will drop the £269 asking-price for the iPhone, to boost Christmas UK sales, but I think they are more likely to keep it the same & bundle something 'extra'.

That's just my view, even though I'm irritated to say so.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Even being an ardent Mac fan, I still have to say that I think the iPhone is overpriced for what it offers, even though it is a lovely device to own & use.

The factor 'banging the nail in the coffin', in my own personal view, is the poor tariffs offered by O2 to use the iPhone.

I think there are, & will be, better phones available, with better tariffs, way before the 'tie-in' period runs out for those taking out the O2/iPhone package.

That's just my view, even though I'm irritated to say so.

Viv
I agree with you Viv. I'm very tempted to buy an Ipod touch which really is an amazing bit of technology, but will stay clear of the Iphone for it bit.. or until my current O2 contract is near the end.
      10-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #13
steph.uk
325D E92
Scotland
Rep

Hi Viv

I know it is too expensive and the contract with O2 is not very flexible:sad0147:

Have heard that in France they will have to release an unlock version (to respect the law), so might be tempted to get one then next time I go home. Only problem is that on some mac forum they do mentioned that it will be sold at a premium price and that update would not work well with it

So really the best advice would be to wait for a couple of month and see what is coming up....... that said the Iphone is very very very tempting.............grrrrrrrr

Steph
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with you Viv. I'm very tempted to buy an Ipod touch which really is an amazing bit of technology, but will stay clear of the Iphone for it bit.. or until my current O2 contract is near the end.
Gordon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph.uk View Post
Hi Viv

I know it is too expensive and the contract with O2 is not very flexible:sad0147:

Have heard that in France they will have to release an unlock version (to respect the law), so might be tempted to get one then next time I go home. Only problem is that on some mac forum they do mentioned that it will be sold at a premium price and that update would not work well with it

So really the best advice would be to wait for a couple of month and see what is coming up....... that said the Iphone is very very very tempting.............grrrrrrrr

Steph
I think the iPhone is a beautiful piece of technology, at a 'price' which really is not 'justified'.

Let's look at it from a cost perspective:

Cost of iPhone = £269 on O2
Lowest annual tariff price = 12 x £35 = £420
Total 1st year cost = £689 (200 included minutes & texts & unlimited data & appropriate WiFi connectivity with fair usage, using EDGE for data transfer, which currently only covers 30% of the UK)

That must be over an 18-month contract, but I'm not sure.

In my own personal view, this really is ridiculous, even though I'm in tears saying it. :sad0147:

I feel better now, because I'm only paying £10 a month on Virgin with 300 minutes + texts included.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
using EDGE for data transfer, which currently only covers 30% of the UK)

Viv
When I'm at work I'm on the o2 EDGE network - everywhere else its on to GPRS
      10-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #16
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I'm at work I'm on the o2 EDGE network - everywhere else its on to GPRS
Gordon, I really do think the lack of 3G or HSCD is going to be a problem for the iPhone.

Apple have been bragging about it being 'everything you'll ever want out of a mobile', even though it doesn't have GSM & can't actually tell you where to go, even though you can go to Google Maps to find a location, albeit 'slowly'!

There will be mobiles released over the next 18 months which will transfer data a lot faster than the iPhone can manage when it's released here.

To think buyers will possibly change their network provider, move to an 'older' generation of mobile data transfer & pay for the privilege of doing so- crazy :sad0147:!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 04:09 AM   #17
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Gordon, I really do think the lack of 3G or HSCD is going to be a problem for the iPhone.

Apple have been bragging about it being 'everything you'll ever want out of a mobile', even though it doesn't have GSM & can't actually tell you where to go, even though you can go to Google Maps to find a location, albeit 'slowly'!

There will be mobiles released over the next 18 months which will transfer data a lot faster than the iPhone can manage when it's released here.

To think buyers will possibly change their network provider, move to an 'older' generation of mobile data transfer & pay for the privilege of doing so- crazy :sad0147:!

Viv
Totaly right Viv IMHO. It's just a 'pretty' phone and doesn't move the game on in any significant respect (for me anyway). I'll be getting a SE P1i or 850i when my contract runs out. Not tempted by the iPhone whatsoever and I'm both an O2 user and Apple fan. Just think it's a bit of a gimmick. Imagine how trashed it's going to look after a bit of use too. That huge screen all greasy and paw marked and the whole thing will probably scratch badly too. So on top of your £700 ish you'll have to get a bulky protective case!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #18
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 320d MSport

Did anyone catch the review of the iphone vs nokia n95 on gadget show? saw first test but did not watch the rest? I too am waiting (and I can get a small discount as wife works at 02)
      10-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #19
scotw
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D SG

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
Did anyone catch the review of the iphone vs nokia n95 on gadget show? saw first test but did not watch the rest? I too am waiting (and I can get a small discount as wife works at 02)
yeah, they weren't that impressed. Basically "totally cool, not a great phone". I think they missed the point a bit though, they banged on about the camera, which I wouldn't care about - I have a camera for that. They barely mentioned the ipod functionality, which is great.

Horses for courses I think, N95/iPhone depends on what you want from your phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #20
steph.uk
325D E92
Scotland
Rep

Found a unlocked Iphone in France for 999 euros (about £700).......

Think I'll stay away from it for a while

Steph
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #21
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible

Quote:
To be honest, I'm guessing that underneath, 10.5 is basically just a bit of an evolution of 10.4, which for me was very stable and reliable.
Hi All, not wanting to sound like too much of a geek (Alhough I will!) but Leopard is a major upgrade from tiger which is a very stable system.

It includes a lot of new features within the Kernal, which is that actual structure that the OS runs. 64 bit running has been improved vastly, Cocoa , Core Animation and a lot more has been changed.

Its and awesome operating system, and I totally agree that Microsoft is so way behind in stability!!!

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #22
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger2007 View Post
Hi All, not wanting to sound like too much of a geek (Alhough I will!) but Leopard is a major upgrade from tiger which is a very stable system.

It includes a lot of new features within the Kernal, which is that actual structure that the OS runs. 64 bit running has been improved vastly, Cocoa , Core Animation and a lot more has been changed.

Its and awesome operating system, and I totally agree that Microsoft is so way behind in stability!!!
Yes, you wouldn't see any error messages like this in Vista
Attached Images