E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

12-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

Which one do you Mobil 1 guys use in your cars? I am picking up a 335 tomorrow (my first BMW) and the last oil change was 5k mi. ago. The dealer won't change it (for free) saying it doesn't need it for another 5k or more, but I want to change it. I don't know what's in there now.

I keep reading about Mobil 1 "Euro". I don't know what that is. Walmart only carries the regular Mobil 1 oil and Extended performance. I would like a full synthetic oil (Group IV), and I think that's the Extended Performance. I think the regular Mobil 1 is Group III which is a blend. I have been using Mobil 1 in my cars for over 20 years and really like it.

Does anyone use the MB 1 Extended Perf. 5W-30 on their turbo motors?
WM does not carry the 0W-40 in the MB1 EP. I want the right oil and viscosity to get me through the New York winter but it has to be a full synthetic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
pk_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i X-Drive

Yeah I don't think Walmart carries it either. I picked up mine at a local Canadian Tire up here..

Not too familiar with what you guy's have down in the U.S, but I would assume either a Autozone or NAPA would carry it...

Now what I've seen very common is, that hard part is finding the oil in a 5L Jug. If you look at the 5L Jugs you wont find it, I had to buy (7) 1L Bottles. On the front it will say Mobil 1 European Car Formula/Blend, but most importantly on the back it will list that it is BMW LL01 Certified.

Don't forget to change the oil filter, you need to replace the 2 "o rings" in the filter and the 1 washer for the drain bolt.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1harry View Post

WM does not carry the 0W-40 in the MB1 EP. I want the right oil and viscosity to get me through the New York winter but it has to be a full synthetic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
Why are you bound to Walmart? My guess is Mobil 1 is not a 100% group IV base stock but my assumption is based purely on the fact that if it were somehow I doubt it would be such a mystery. That does not mean its not good or even 10% group III/90% group IV and 0w-40 meets BMW specs so I wouldn't have reservations using it but I damn sure am not going to use another weight/formula based on walmart stock. Got something against Amazon/eBay/zillion other local part stores and online resouces? BTW pretty sure Mobil 1 european formula and Mobil 1 0w-40 can be used interchangeably.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You are right, I can find it elsewhere, but are you recommending Mobil 1 0W-40? Is that what most people here use?
I just thought the recommended BMW/manufacturer viscosity was 5W-30? That's what the salesperson told me (remember I don't have the car yet), but I should not have presumed he was correct. I am mostly interested what people think of the Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and if it would provide better protection than the regular Mobil 1. It's only $2 more for the 5Qt jug, but I am not sure if they make it in 0W-40. Like I said I have been using the regular Mobil 1 with no issues for over 2 decades, but I never owned a turbo charged or a 300hp car before.

I was reading an article on the Amsoil web site that the MB1 Extended Performance is the only Group IV (100% synthetic) oil that Mobil makes, and Amsoil recommends using 100% synthetic on high performance engines or with forced induction. So that is the reason I am looking for a real/fully synthetic oil, but I can purchase the regular Mobil-1 0-40 and just change the oil every 5k mi. or so. I never let the Mobil 1 sit for more than 5k or 6 months in my other cars anyway. I thought maybe if I used a group IV 100% synthetic like the MB1 Ext. Perf. I might go to 8k or 9k mi. between oil changes.

Just curious if anyone uses the Mobil 1 Ext. Perf. oil, or if they prefer it over the regular Mobil 1 which is rated group III (I don't know the percentages of the group III and IV contents in regular MB1), or if there are any lab tests done, or independent testing that conclude the MB1 EP is better than or superior to the regular MB1.

Thanks!
Harry
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Walmart does carry 5-quart jugs of Mobil 1 0W-40 Advanced Synthetic Euro Formula in most stores, at least they do around here. I picked up two jugs last week for $24.97 each. That's the best price I've found anywhere ($5/quart). Between that and the Mann oil filter kit on Amazon, I can do a 7-quart oil change for less than $45 and in under 15 minutes.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W...Quart/23636902
      12-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
You are right, I can find it elsewhere, but are you recommending Mobil 1 0W-40? Is that what most people here use?
I just thought the recommended BMW/manufacturer viscosity was 5W-30?
Look at the product data sheet for Extended Performance 5W-30 - it's an ACEA A1 oil, not A3. It doesn't come close to meeting BMW's LL-01. Don't use it.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the most popular non-Castrol/OEM oil for BMWs. It meets LL-01 and is ACEA A3/b3-4 and can go to BMW's 18K (typical) extended drain intervals.

You're letting a "salesman" trump the manual and BMW's recommendations. Don't do that; if you do, you'd better learn more about oils and specifications than you currently know. Read bobistheoilguy.com, and SEARCH for oil threads here on E90POST and other sites. There are only several hundred. BTW, there is a very current oil thread here; that's why search is useful - it actually has a lot of this stuff in it.

BTW; why spend about the same on Extended Performance, when the OEM Castrol is probably the same price?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys! I ordered the Mobil 1 0w-40 European from Walmart and will be in stock for pick up in a couple of days.

Anyone have the Amazon link to the Mann oil filter kit? They have a bunch of kits listed, and I am not sure which one is right for my '11 335 N55. Is Mann OEM for BMW filters btw?

Harry
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks guys! I ordered the Mobil 1 0w-40 European from Walmart and will be in stock for pick up in a couple of days.

Anyone have the Amazon link to the Mann oil filter kit? They have a bunch of kits listed, and I am not sure which one is right for my '11 335 N55. Is Mann OEM for BMW filters btw?

Harry
Mann-Filter HU 816 X Metal-Free Oil Filter

Make sure you also pick up an oil filter socket / wrench if you don't have one -- something similar to this: Assenmacher Specialty Tools V 410 Oil Filter Housing Wrench
      12-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Don't know what people are using (see join date, I'm a noob lol) but yes 5w-30 is the recommended weight HOWEVER for Mobil 1 0w-40 meets BMW requirements and is what they recommend
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-40.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Which one do you Mobil 1 guys use in your cars? I am picking up a 335 tomorrow (my first BMW) and the last oil change was 5k mi. ago. The dealer won't change it (for free) saying it doesn't need it for another 5k or more, but I want to change it. I don't know what's in there now.

I keep reading about Mobil 1 "Euro". I don't know what that is. Walmart only carries the regular Mobil 1 oil and Extended performance. I would like a full synthetic oil (Group IV), and I think that's the Extended Performance. I think the regular Mobil 1 is Group III which is a blend. I have been using Mobil 1 in my cars for over 20 years and really like it.

Thanks,
Harry
Why go through all that effort and risk your warrenty? Why not just increase your vehicle value by having dealer recorded services??

Just print out any local BMW dealership service coupon and have your dealership price match their offer:
http://jmkbmw.com/Specials-Service.aspx

There you go, a dealership oil change coupon for your car @ $65!!!! Plus you don't have to get your hands dirty either. Just make sure they don't reset the OBc so you can get your free oil change either every year or 15k miles (which ever comes first).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Why go through all that effort and risk your warrenty? Why not just increase your vehicle value by having dealer recorded services??

Just print out any local BMW dealership service coupon and have your dealership price match their offer:
http://jmkbmw.com/Specials-Service.aspx

There you go, a dealership oil change coupon for your car @ $65!!!! Plus you don't have to get your hands dirty either. Just make sure they don't reset the OBc so you can get your free oil change either every year or 15k miles (which ever comes first).
I wish that dealership operated down here in South Florida. I doubt the schmucks at Braman would match any of those service prices.
      12-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
I wish that dealership operated down here in South Florida. I doubt the schmucks at Braman would match any of those service prices.
If you bring in any coupon from a BMW dealership... Good chances they will price match. Call and ask you service advisor well in advance if the price match other bmw dealership service deals/coupons.

Make the effort to browse all your dealerships websites service specials section in a 100 radius from u. That is "local" enough!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
If you bring in any coupon from a BMW dealership... Good chances they will price match. Call and ask you service advisor well in advance if the price match other bmw dealership service deals/coupons.

Make the effort to browse all your dealerships websites service specials section in a 100 radius from u. That is "local" enough!
After my one and only experience with Braman BMW, I honestly wouldn't trust them to actually replace the oil. I'd rather take it to an independent BMW shop that I trust.
      12-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
After my one and only experience with Braman BMW, I honestly wouldn't trust them to actually replace the oil. I'd rather take it to an independent BMW shop that I trust.
Well with all dealerships... They are learning on your car until the tech gets enough experience to open his own shop.

I've seen dealerships send cars home after an oil change with no oil in it!!! Doesn't surprise me one bit. But we all need to be savvy enough to know when something isn't right and call it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think I will do that but I am still going to get a couple of the 5qt Mobil 1 to compare and see how the motor runs.

Thanks for the link! How far is Springfiled from Parsippany? I see it's the same area code. Maybe it's close? I go into Parsippany about every other week, but I will print these out and show them to my dealer. That's a great price.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think I will do that but I am still going to get a couple of the 5qt Mobil 1 to compare and see how the motor runs.

Thanks for the link! How far is Springfiled from Parsippany? I see it's the same area code. Maybe it's close? I go into Parsippany about every other week, but I will print these out and show them to my dealer. That's a great price.
Even if your closest dealer doesn't honor the coupon... Ask a few other dealerships near you to see if they do. Someone will.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
pk_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
Walmart does carry 5-quart jugs of Mobil 1 0W-40 Advanced Synthetic Euro Formula in most stores, at least they do around here. I picked up two jugs last week for $24.97 each. That's the best price I've found anywhere ($5/quart). Between that and the Mann oil filter kit on Amazon, I can do a 7-quart oil change for less than $45 and in under 15 minutes.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W...Quart/23636902
I'm mad.

25 bucks each? I couldn't get Joe Shmo's GTX 5w-30 ON CLEARENCE around here for 25 bucks. FUCK, if the border agents didn't sketch out and search me everytime I come back in Canada because they're stereotyping the fact I can own a bmw I would buy my oil in the US.

Thanks for letting me vent guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

5w30, 5w40 , 0w30, 0w40 are all recommended weights for your car.

M1 0W40 has some of the most important oil certs out there. (229.50)

I've read people running regular 5w30 M1 in their non-M BMW'S but not the N55/N54.

Don't get too worked up over base stocks. It's mostly marketing.
Appreciate 0