Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ford planning a flat plane crank (180deg) V8 for the next Mustang!?

Car & Driver has a interesting and informative piece on the New Mustang:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-details-news

To me the most interesting rumour is the flat plane crank V8 that Ford is preparing for the Mustang (the crank configuration the S65 should have had):

Quote:
The first is a twin-turbocharged V-8, code-named “Voodoo,” which displaces between 5.0 and 5.5 liters and, most intriguingly, has a “flat-plane” or 180-degree crankshaft, as Ferrari has used in its V-8s since 1973. This configuration, also found in the late Lotus Esprit V-8, is akin to connecting two four-cylinder banks to a common crankshaft. Flat cranks theoretically improve power, throttle response, and the soundtrack at the expense of greater vibration. This EcoBoost V-8 will produce between 550 and 600 horses. It will power a Shelby GT350–branded model that eventually will take over from the GT500, as Ford is desperate to discontinue that car’s costly and thirsty Trinity.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

That is interesting, although I'll be slightly disappointed if they don't offer a naturally aspirated version of the 5.0 with that crank. For that matter it is slightly disappointing to hear them talk of the new Shelby model with a non-naturally-aspirated engine assuming that turns out to be true. There had been rumors of 500hp+ N/A. Perhaps there will be a Boss or other model with such an engine.

By the way is there excitement from the folks in your neck of the woods about the car being available there?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I read that in last month's issue. The rumor is that Ford wants to develop an NA variant of the flat-plane cranked V8 for the new Boss 302 application, but that early indications are engineers are having problems with it.

I certainly hope they pull it off.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

anyone else think a Exotic V8 sound would be wired in a mustang ?

anyways i am really happy ford is bring so many engine options to the table. i do not like mustangs, but a nice GT500 is always somthing that crosses my mind when looking at cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
anyone else think a Exotic V8 sound would be wired in a mustang ?

anyways i am really happy ford is bring so many engine options to the table. i do not like mustangs, but a nice GT500 is always somthing that crosses my mind when looking at cars.
If BMW isn't going to develop them anymore, then I'm glad that someone else is.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

If Ford does this it's huge. The E9x V8 lacks only a FPC to be perfect; it is close.
Appreciate 0