E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Dealer charging $168 to "update software" so the service light goes off/mileage reset

12-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Dealer charging $168 to "update software" so the service light goes off/mileage reset

My car was giving me the red "car on a lift" symbol indicating it was due for service, but didn't say exactly what. I brought it in and the adviser tells me it's due for cabin filters ($132) and brake fluid ($148). Fine. But in addition it needs a "software reset" to reset the service indicator light and reset the mileage counter until service due. I questioned this immediately because I was never charged this on my E46 and E36 - service was done and part of that was resetting the light. He said that the system changed in 06/07 and all the new models require this (it's my first timing having service done out of warranty). He said it doesn't have to be done but I'll still be getting the service light on my dash. I said that's ridiculous to charge $168 for what should be included as part of the other service, and then he added that it's more than just resetting the light, it's updating software to make sure it's ready for emissions testing and they check all the computer systems too. I didn't have time to pursue it or get the legitimacy of it, so I said fine. Picked the car up and paid the bill, but I can't shake the feeling that this is a BS charge.

FYI, on the bill it states "Performed standard scope and vehicle check, inspected all systems, scanned for codes, no codes, updated maint. readings, road test." Has anyone else been charged for this? They (BMW Seattle) used to do a 27 point inspection free with each service, it seems like maybe now they're charging $168 for it? Input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
AlanH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
Sounds like complete BS to me...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

No intent to flame you here, but you should read the owners manual and E90 Post to get familiar with your car. The CBS will tell you exactly what service is due and when it is due, so you can go into to the dealer and tell them what needs to be done. The reset of the CBS should be included in the price of the maintenance and not an extra charge. The CBS service intervals can all be reset using the turn signal stalk. Next time if they try to BS you on resetting the service indicators just say "okay, I'll do it myself with the turn signal stalk."

An educated owner is a dealer's worst nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

OP, if your car has a multiple of 30,000 miles, that is probably the "Inspection" (AKA "Roadworthiness") service described in your Warranty/Service manual. In addition to the scope, it includes a complete visual and mechanical check as well as a test drive, and the dash indicator reset. Since it involves one to two hours of labor, the $168 charge is in the ballpark - but you should have been provided a standard checklist of all the inspection items.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

He did not update the software on the bill ...... $168 just for cbs reset is bs.....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Tom, I think you're correct that it's the inspection (what they used to call Inspection I and Inspection II back in the E36 days) that I was charged for. There was a check list of items they went over such as tires, check all mechanical systems for leaks, lighting systems, brakes, etc. I don't mind paying for this because yes it's time and labor, but the service adviser didn't describe the service charge that way at all. Like I mentioned, he said "we don't have to do this but you'll still have a service light on your dash." He made it sound like it wasn't much more than a software reset, until I questioned it, and then he explained it was a bit more, but never called it a full vehicle inspection. I think he's just terrible at his job. Thanks for feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Paying way too much for the maintenance. Oh yeah they tried the same on my dads x5 it was 150.00 they said after discount to reset oil light and service. I went inside the car and did it tons of YouTube videos and I showed him look I just did it what will you do different. He was so shocked he brought the tech. I'm out of warranty and the techs like don't waste your money I do the same thing lol. Google it my friend to reset the lights. Cabin filters like 20-30 bucks and I did it on a cig break.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Also I brought my e36 m3 and said I needed 3k worth of work done. Funny thing is I did exactly what they told me I should prior. I always tell them to go over the car at every oil change and etc and they do and I found out one rear coil had a hairline crack but not enough to worry. The tech even told me get some kw3s
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Ouch. Just watched a how to on replacing the cabin filter. That's my F up for now realizing how easy it is (and I've taken that panel off a dozen times for Procede removal). So yeah, I cost myself $100 on that one. I can't believe the dealer charges $132 for that. Even if the part is like $60 (twice as much as aftermarket) that's $70 for 10 minutes of labor. Live and learn.
Appreciate 0