E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Low coolant indicator won't turn off

12-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
2Hip
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sport AW

Low coolant indicator won't turn off

Got a red low coolant indicator and added distilled water to bring the float up to proper level. Replaced the cap but the red low coolant indicator still won't turn off. Worried about driving it this way. Any idea why it would do this? Is it possible I overfilled it?

One other question about loosing coolant. I changed my oil the other day and I can't say it looked milky which would be the worst case scenario. Is it possible that the cap is letting vapor leak?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
E36graduate
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

Did you over heat the car? Do you have any codes? Water pump replaced? Bleed your cooling line?

2008 335xi - 6MT - BMS JB4 G5i - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - BMS WW Meth - Spec Stage 2+ - Spec SMFW - 19" MVR Magnum's - KW V1's - TMS 12.5+20mm Spacers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
2Hip
Private
Rep

Didn't over heat or really see it heat up above normal. Pulled the codes with my AccessPort (H2FCA, H2FDA, and H3OF2). Looked up the code but couldn't find a clear answer to all of them. Seem to be more related to a possible bad coil. Haven't replaced the water pump yet and that's my biggest concern right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

You cannot drive the car with a red coolant issue. Too dangerous.

Are you sure it is low coolant, I kinda remember the dead water pump icon was the same as low coolant. A dead water pump will boil your fluid out from the cap.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
2Hip
Private
Rep

Probably should have looked through the manual. Looks like it is the low tire pressure alert. I just got new tires on Friday and I guess they didn't do the reset process. I just reset it but have to wait to drive as we have an ice storm here on the east coast today.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hip View Post
Probably should have looked through the manual. Looks like it is the low tire pressure alert. I just got new tires on Friday and I guess they didn't do the reset process. I just reset it but have to wait to drive as we have an ice storm here on the east coast today.

Thanks for the help.
I am confused that you say you had a red coolant icon though? Maybe was just a case of low coolant level at that moment. If the tyres were changed and the TPS not reset then this would protest!

I would run the coolant vent procedure as a dual purpose - to bleed the system, and to make sure that the water pump IS working.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
2Hip
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
I am confused that you say you had a red coolant icon though? Maybe was just a case of low coolant level at that moment. If the tyres were changed and the TPS not reset then this would protest!

I would run the coolant vent procedure as a dual purpose - to bleed the system, and to make sure that the water pump IS working.
I guess the tire pressure alert will turn red especially if you don't go through the reset process. Makes sinse that I never saw the gauge spike and there were no codes for a bad electric pump.

I think the fact that the tire pressure symbol as the sectioned profile of the tires where the tread looks like water and the ! mark looks like the bobber just through me off. Feel really stupid but much relieved.
Appreciate 0