E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Low Speed Squeaks

12-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: recklessly

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Low Speed Squeaks

Yes, I have searched for hours looking for a solution but nothing I have found is altogether helpful.

I really love my car but Jesus, if it isn't one squeak it's another.

As you can hear from the video below, my 06 330i squeaks at low speeds. It immediately stops when I touch the brakes, even lightly. I have no idea where to attack this. I just replaced the brake pads but not the rotors and they really need to be replaced but I don't know if it's related to the brakes or not since it only happens when I'm going slowly but not braking. I made sure to lube the caliper mounting mounts and used a liberal amount of NoiseFree on the back of every pad.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Siriously??

If I see one more of these posts again I quit this forum....

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo
Siriously??

If I see one more of these posts again I quit this forum....

Instead of being rude, would you mind not posting at all? I already said I have searched and not found anything helpful. If you cannot understand that, I'm not the one you should be mad at.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
Instead of being rude, would you mind not posting at all? I already said I have searched and not found anything helpful. If you cannot understand that, I'm not the one you should be mad at.
dude was a joke... I am not mad..

but on a sirious note you did not search well. Almost everyone here have had this issue. Keep searching...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
dude was a joke... I am not mad..

but on a sirious note you did not search well. Almost everyone here have had this issue. Keep searching...
I have searched for hours. It's irrelevant whether everyone has had the problem; only a few have found solutions. Somebody suggested it is the ebrake which I am going to try but it doesn't seem likely to me given the severity of the noise. I am just looking for help and to see if anyone has made any progress.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I have searched for hours looking for a solution but nothing I have found is altogether helpful.

As you can hear from the video below, my 06 330i squeaks at low speeds. It immediately stops when I touch the brakes, even lightly. I have no idea where to attack this. I just replaced the brake pads but not the rotors and they really need to be replaced but I don't know if it's related to the brakes or not since it only happens when I'm going slowly but not braking. I made sure to lube the caliper mounting mounts and used a liberal amount of NoiseFree on the back of every pad.

Wow. I feel for you bro. If my car had that high pitch squeak I would want to drive off the highway into a tree. I have some rattle on my passenger headrest and sometimes my rear shock/spring mount rattles (which my mechanic buddy fixes with some type of lube) and that makes me nuts. Your squeak would drive me bananas. I could just hear my wife complaining about the sound on a road trip and me having an atomic rage outburst at her.

It sounds like brake sensor warnings. Or the hub.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi
Quote:

Wow. I feel for you bro. If my car had that high pitch squeak I would want to drive off the highway into a tree. I have some rattle on my passenger headrest and sometimes my rear shock/spring mount rattles (which my mechanic buddy fixes with some type of lube) and that makes me nuts. Your squeak would drive me bananas. I could just hear my wife complaining about the sound on a road trip and me having an atomic rage outburst at her.

It sounds like brake sensor warnings. Or the hub.
Lol. Thank you for your empathy. It is indeed extremely frustrating and embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

its the handbrake pad seating thats squeaking

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697365
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Hi Judge Dredd,

Don't worry, you are not alone with this issue - this was the first thing that I encountered with my car literally within the first week that I owned it!

It does seem to have to do with the handbrake (ebrake), but have not tried the DIY mentioned in that link about if it is the one I am thinking of. The noise comes and goes and while it is annoying, my pinging problem and noise it actually more irritating and worrying, so this squealing is the least of my concerns.

This is what mine sounds like at times, at 1:25...

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
LuxeFilms
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Had the same noise for while, fought it for a few months, and no remedy seemed to work. I eventually figured out it was the 2 threaded caliper pins that hold the caliper together. I removed the pins, greased generously, and reinstalled. No squeaks ever since! That was 6 months ago!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxeFilms
Had the same noise for while, fought it for a few months, and no remedy seemed to work. I eventually figured out it was the 2 threaded caliper pins that hold the caliper together. I removed the pins, greased generously, and reinstalled. No squeaks ever since! That was 6 months ago!
Thank you for the suggestion but mine are well greased with brake lube.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxeFilms View Post
Didn't help in my case. This time last year I was aware of my brakes squealing when they were getting hotter from the hot summer days and decided to inspect the brakes by pulling them apart to see if the dealer workshop had properly cleaned and applied anti-squeal paste - they hadn't!

So gave the callipers and backs of the brake pads a clean to remove any dirt and grit, then applied some copper grease. Also cleaned and lubed the pins before putting everything back together again. Brakes still tend to squeal on occasions, but much much better than it was before this. This is of course when applying brakes unlike the problem above where you are simply driving at low speeds with your foot off the brake pedal, but that was unaffected by all of this, at least in my case...

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Considering my rotors have lips and I didn't replace them when I did the pads, and I didn't chamfer the pads, I'm going to conclude that the rotors are causing the noise issue. I'm going to replace both the brake pads and the rotors when I can round up the funds to do so. I can't honestly believe that it's the dust shield/parking brake assembly when I can hear it coming from the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Considering my rotors have lips and I didn't replace them when I did the pads, and I didn't chamfer the pads, I'm going to conclude that the rotors are causing the noise issue. I'm going to replace both the brake pads and the rotors when I can round up the funds to do so. I can't honestly believe that it's the dust shield/parking brake assembly when I can hear it coming from the front.
Does it squeal when applying the brakes or at low speeds when just driving? That is what mine tends to do after a decent amount of driving and everything is warm. Also tends to do this if I've pulled off or accelerated hard where the traction control may have feathered the rear brakes. Also it does not squeal for a while after I have washed the car and thoroughly sprayed all the brake dust out from the disks and callipers.

My front disks are probably half way or more through their lifespan so do of course have an outer ridge, but it really seems like the squealing is more from the rear than anything else and those disks were replaced beginning of last year and still don't have a ridge formed, so pretty much still fresh.

I reckon once I have been able to rid my car of the pinging noise I will pay more attention to this issue...

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I
Quote:
Does it squeal when applying the brakes or at low speeds when just driving? That is what mine tends to do after a decent amount of driving and everything is warm. Also tends to do this if I've pulled off or accelerated hard where the traction control may have feathered the rear brakes. Also it does not squeal for a while after I have washed the car and thoroughly sprayed all the brake dust out from the disks and callipers.

My front disks are probably half way or more through their lifespan so do of course have an outer ridge, but it really seems like the squealing is more from the rear than anything else and those disks were replaced beginning of last year and still don't have a ridge formed, so pretty much still fresh.

I reckon once I have been able to rid my car of the pinging noise I will pay more attention to this issue...
Just at low speeds without brakes. It also seems to only happen when warm for me. I heard it was the hill assist feathering the brakes below a certain speed. I like that explanation.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just at low speeds without brakes. It also seems to only happen when warm for me. I heard it was the hill assist feathering the brakes below a certain speed. I like that explanation.
I know that our cars also have a feature that wipes the disks to get rid of water when driving in the rain, so it could actually just be this feature too - never really thought about that... But yes, hill assist is another thing to consider! Either way, our cars have really strong brakes, so a little brake squeal as embarrassing and annoying as it is from time to time is not really such a bad thing I suppose.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't mind a little brake squeal....as long as I am braking.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

SQUEEK FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTek Will
SQUEEK FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I frankly don't believe that is what's causing such a loud and frequent noise, but I appreciate your suggestion. I will remember to perform that procedure when I go to replace the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Guys, clean, do a light sanding with a light sandpaper and lubricate ur caliper pins. If these pins get dirty and dry, they wont slide well enough to move pads well enough away from rotor and will cause squaking noises. I worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Guys, clean, do a light sanding with a light sandpaper and lubricate ur caliper pins. If these pins get dirty and dry, they wont slide well enough to move pads well enough away from rotor and will cause squaking noises. I worked for me.
I did clean them and lube them but I didn't do it thoroughly. I'll add it to the list when I go to do a brake job. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Confirmed it wasn't the wear sensor lol
Appreciate 0