E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > grease on ball joint area

12-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
sibhusky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

grease on ball joint area

Have a e91 AWD. I noticed grease on the inner side of the caliper, on top of the ball joint and under the strut housing. I checked and double checked the outer cv boot but i cant see any grease leaking from the boot itself and it is also dry, i sifted through all the ridges of the cv boot and nothing. So im a little stumped where the grease could have came from?

Any ideas? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
Have a e91 AWD. I noticed grease on the inner side of the caliper, on top of the ball joint and under the strut housing. I checked and double checked the outer cv boot but i cant see any grease leaking from the boot itself and it is also dry, i sifted through all the ridges of the cv boot and nothing. So im a little stumped where the grease could have came from?

Any ideas? Thanks
Check that the boot is tight on the shaft to the inside and also on the larger bearing side......over time, the clamps can work a little loose and when you are full turn the boot needs to stretch....it may be popping off the shaft momentarily spraying the grease, then popping back on when the wheel is straight.

Its not the ball joint, right?

There is really nothing else in there....I think you are on the right track with the CV boot.....

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

also just noticed that you have an e91...me too...great cars!

JP
Appreciate 0