E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bms ww methanol kit leaking . Seeking advice

12-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Excorcist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Bms ww methanol kit leaking . Seeking advice

Hi, so I have the bms ww methanol injection installed, the system leaks right at the solenoid, I was wondering what my options are, I have a summit racing right next door so I can get all sorts of compression fittings right away however I am not sure what kind I need? I wanted to avoid paying 190$ for the devils own kit. Summit also carries stainless an line but what size would I need for this system if I were to just replace with all stainless lines? And they also carry compression fittings that look just like the ones that comes stock with the bms kit but on their website they are called "air line fittings" not sure if they are the same here is a link:
http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts...54000/overview

I have searched and come up with little info one guy used some sort of compression fitting that had a sort of rivet on the so ethanol line that comes in the kit and it looked secure but he didn't mention what size and specs the fitting was

Any help is greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Swap to full SS with AN fittings. Compression and push in fittings aren't useful IMO.

It's easy, you just need however many fittings for your setup, and a 90 degree end tapped into the tank. It's no different than compression fittings from a strategic standpoint, obviously just a different locking mechanism and line material.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Also please get rid of that WW setup and get a trunk mount. Don't need any more guys going up in flames, literally.

The BMS, devils own, and coolingmist all use same size fittings in the majority of areas. It's been a while since I dabbled with one so I really don't know in detail but that info is out there for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Excorcist
Private
Rep

Size

Ok so what size an line and fittings any details on that? I can't seem to turn anything up with my searches,
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Also please get rid of that WW setup and get a trunk mount. Don't need any more guys going up in flames, literally.

The BMS, devils own, and coolingmist all use same size fittings in the majority of areas. It's been a while since I dabbled with one so I really don't know in detail but that info is out there for sure.
THIS! If it's leaking, stop filling it and set up a trunk mounted solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorcist View Post
Ok so what size an line and fittings any details on that? I can't seem to turn anything up with my searches,
4AN is the fitting size you should use IMO, that is irrelevant of what meth brand you are running. So for instance i'm running DO stainless lines on an aquamist setup. So long as the fittings are all the same, the line brand doesn't really matter whether you are using CM, BMS, AM..whatever.

Lines are just that, lines. Not brand specific. a 4AN stainless line purchased from Howerton or DO will work just as well on your BMS kit as my AM kit. Don't overthink that part of the equation.

But do think about ditching WW meth all together. It's not safe.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Excorcist
Private
Rep

Thanks

Thank you 135 pats that is what I was looking for, I wish there were more info on bms' website about fitting sizes for the pump and solenoid etc... But I guess to get exact sizes for the fittings I will have to measure them on my own,

Anyways I havnt been on the forum in a while apparently I missed this whole talk about the ww kit being more dangerous then it's worth... Apparently I'm on to find a trunk mount tank' havnt tried searching this one yet but as long as we're on the subject anyone have some suggestions. ? Of course the obvious just buying the tank from bms, I would imagine there are some cost effective alternatives maybe using a used ww tank from a junkyard (obviously would need to find one with a decent square shape unlike the 335s) and prettying it up with some trunk fabric possibly to make It blend in better?

Thanks for the info really missing the extra pull with the methanol
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

You can't just swap a BMW WW kit's pump over to AN AFAIK. The pump top is either designed for push fittings or pipe threaded. You need a new pump to go AN so you're probably better off selling the kit and getting a new one designed for AN and trunk mount etc.

Have you tried removing the hose from the solenoid, slicing off the end (nice and flat, with a razor) and reinserting it again? The line should also go in nice and straight- if its turning/bending right before entering the fitting, it could be leaking because of that. Try rerouting the line so it feed into the fitting more straight and see if that helps.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
zeel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i

Garage List
If you can't source 4AN fittings, the aquamist compression fittings are very good. I haven't had any problems with them so far.
      12-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just want to make sure you have this part straightened out before you spend money.

4AN is a type of fitting. There is no change in size, If something is tapped for female 4AN, there is only one male fitting that will work-and that is 4AN. So when you talk about “fitting sizes”, it’s redundant. The fitting is 4AN, or that is what I would recommend. Once you decide on that, you can get any combination of lines and tank you would like. You could run a BMS trunk setup with DO or AM Stainless lines and 4AN fittings all around. The only thing to measure would be how long to cut the pieces of line, the actual fittings don’t need to be measured as 4AN is a single size.

I’m too lazy to explain in detail but just think about the mechanics of WW meth. You are storing a liquid that has an extremely low flash point in a container hovering a few inches above the exhaust side of the motor. If/when it leaks…..your car could catch on fire. Straight up.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeel View Post
If you can't source 4AN fittings, the aquamist compression fittings are very good. I haven't had any problems with them so far.
True. AM is the only kit I’d run with compression fittings. Well TBH, Aquamist is the only kit anyone should run on this platform. Just sayin….

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0