E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bmw 328xi problems

12-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
dkwazhere
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328xi

Bmw 328xi problems

I have recently had a break down in my 2007 328xi. The car went into limp mode fan up high and no heat which made it none drivable. Would the assumption that it needs a water pump be correct
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

possibly....it sounds more like low coolant, which could certainly be related.

when cool, check the coolant level, if air got into the system, it will need to be purged or the symptoms may continue...but if the water pump is on its way out...and you let it go, it will leave you stranded. (they are electronic units and are known to go as early as 50,000 and should definitely be changed by 100,000 miles...mine was at 110,000 so I was overdue.....)

When mine went, I got no orange coolant temp light to tell me things were going wrong, no low coolant messages....it went straight to RED and limp mode which means shut it down withing 100yrds or you could warp the head. I dont even want to think what that would have cost!

I was lucky in that I had done a lot of prior research on this forum and knew what was happening so shut my car off right away. I was UNlucky in that I was over 150 miles from home so had to have a mechanic (Indy) in the area who specialized in BMWs do the repair. He was fair and did a great job, but it cost me over 1000.00.....of course he did a coolant and oil change replaced the oil filter housing gasket at my request and gave the car the once over...He said my little Xwagon was in great shape otherwise and found nothing else wrong.

If you have a mechanic, or are still under CPO warranty take it right in and have it checked out.. IMHO.....

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
dkwazhere
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
possibly....it sounds more like low coolant, which could certainly be related.

when cool, check the coolant level, if air got into the system, it will need to be purged or the symptoms may continue...but if the water pump is on its way out...and you let it go, it will leave you stranded. (they are electronic units and are known to go as early as 50,000 and should definitely be changed by 100,000 miles...mine was at 110,000 so I was overdue.....)

When mine went, I got no orange coolant temp light to tell me things were going wrong, no low coolant messages....it went straight to RED and limp mode which means shut it down withing 100yrds or you could warp the head. I dont even want to think what that would have cost!

I was lucky in that I had done a lot of prior research on this forum and knew what was happening so shut my car off right away. I was UNlucky in that I was over 150 miles from home so had to have a mechanic (Indy) in the area who specialized in BMWs do the repair. He was fair and did a great job, but it cost me over 1000.00.....of course he did a coolant and oil change replaced the oil filter housing gasket at my request and gave the car the once over...He said my little Xwagon was in great shape otherwise and found nothing else wrong.

If you have a mechanic, or are still under CPO warranty take it right in and have it checked out.. IMHO.....

JP
Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0