E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > HELP brake fluid in my power steering reservoir

12-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
khoda355
Captain
Rep
Drives: EG hatch/ E90

HELP brake fluid in my power steering reservoir

Okay please help..

Came home after working eight hours today... Felt my pedle being weird so thought I should check to see if I needed to add fluid. Long story short I added 3 ounces to 4 to my power steering pump reservoir.. The car was warm, but off and I never turned it on. I sucked out all the fluid with a starw and then I out a rag in it and cleaned it out... My question is am I safe? Or should I flush my power steering??

Please help! It was not more then 10 min until I cleaned it out... Do you think it went in the lines? Even with the car off and not touched?

Thanks!!!

And yes I know I am stupid in advance... Installed my bbk but just tired from the day...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay, I'm not going to ask how you used a straw to suck the oil out of the PS reservoir; I hope it's not how I think you did it... I think you did the right thing by getting the old fluid out right away.

But, if the car was not running then the brake fluid just was mixed into the CF-11 power steering fluid and didn't contaminate the rest of the system. If it were my car, I'd not drive it until I flush system with a 1/2 quart or so of clean CF-11 fluid. I'd do that by opening up both banjo bolts on the power steering rack hoses at the rack and pour in the CF-11 and let it drain out to flush it a few times.

The brake fluid reservoir is under a cover on the drivers side of the engine bay right in front of the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
I would do as above too!! Best is to flush everything out to play safe!

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
khoda355
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Okay, I'm not going to ask how you used a straw to suck the oil out of the PS reservoir; I hope it's not how I think you did it... I think you did the right thing by getting the old fluid out right away.

But, if the car was not running then the brake fluid just was mixed into the CF-11 power steering fluid and didn't contaminate the rest of the system. If it were my car, I'd not drive it until I flush system with a 1/2 quart or so of clean CF-11 fluid. I'd do that by opening up both banjo bolts on the power steering rack hoses at the rack and pour in the CF-11 and let it drain out to flush it a few times.

The brake fluid reservoir is under a cover on the drivers side of the engine bay right in front of the windshield.
The car was not turned on. I was thinking of just in hooking the feed line and cleaning that out just to be safe and then adding the new fluid in and calling it a day. 3-4 ounces had to be sitting on top since I never turned it on...? Also do you know what's heavier? Or would the brake fluid just mix right away?

I know where the brake master cylinder is. I just was not thinking.... Stupid but at least I caught it right away.

Thanks for you help guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Do the power steering flush about twice or more from the Reservoir. Since the engine was not running and steering hasn't been turned the fluid didn't penetrate your system.

Do the flush with the CHF 11s fluid as recommended above. You do know how to get the flush done right?
      12-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoda355 View Post
The car was not turned on. I was thinking of just in hooking the feed line and cleaning that out just to be safe and then adding the new fluid in and calling it a day. 3-4 ounces had to be sitting on top since I never turned it on...? Also do you know what's heavier? Or would the brake fluid just mix right away?

I know where the brake master cylinder is. I just was not thinking.... Stupid but at least I caught it right away.

Thanks for you help guys.
Cool. Wasn't trying to flame. The brake reservoir is quite well hidden on these cars and the owner's manual is now just "take it to the dealer" for maintenance, so it doesn't explain it well. Hope every thing works out okay. I doubt brake fluid would really hurt the seals in the rack anyway, especially considering the limited time of exposure and the possible small amount that may have gotten in the rack in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
stiggie
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 330D

Garage List
2007 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay please help..

Came home after working eight hours today... Felt my pedle being weird so thought I should check to see if I needed to add fluid. Long story short I added 3 ounces to 4 to my power steering pump reservoir.. The car was warm, but off and I never turned it on. I sucked out all the fluid with a starw and then I out a rag in it and cleaned it out... My question is am I safe? Or should I flush my power steering??

Please help! It was not more then 10 min until I cleaned it out... Do you think it went in the lines? Even with the car off and not touched?

Thanks!!!

And yes I know I am stupid in advance... Installed my bbk but just tired from the day...
I was in a rush and wanted to fill my windscreen washer bottle. and checked my powersteering oil level at the same time. Ended up throwing water in the powersteering bottle. Was only about 2 teaspoons of water. Didn't think it would cause damage. I drove 50 km then changed the oil but was to late, my steering pump was gone
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
khoda355
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggie
Quote:
Okay please help..

Thanks!!!

I was in a rush and wanted to fill my windscreen washer bottle. and checked my powersteering oil level at the same time. Ended up throwing water in the powersteering bottle. Was only about 2 teaspoons of water. Didn't think it would cause damage. I drove 50 km then changed the oil but was to late, my steering pump was gone
Wow, that really sucks! I cleaned mine out and got the right fluid and filled it up. No problems at all.

Sorry to hear about that.... Rushing some things that are so small mess up things that are so big.
Appreciate 0