BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions Titles for individual messages not visible

12-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Lightbulb Titles for individual messages not visible

This has been bothering me for some time: Each message posted to the forum carries a (optionally empty) title. The title of the first message posted to a thread becomes that thread's title. Subsequent reply messages posted to that thread have titles of their own, but they're not visible.

Looking at Bimmerfest, also running vBulletin, individual messages with non-empty titles get formatted with the title in bold, alongside the optional message icon, framed in a small horizontal bar above the message body text.

Would it be possible to make these message titles visible on E90Post? I usually come up with some pithy title for my messages, then discover with great disappointment that they're denied the fawning adulation they so very much deserve.

Last edited by seh; 12-14-2005 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Added hyperlink.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
coco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmmer

Eh, those are kind of useless.. just ends up cluttering up the threads with an icon sitting there above each post even if there's no title. I like the uncluttered look of the posts here.. there even very little spacing between each post, just a simple gray line to separate.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I have noticed this too, and I've always wondered why the Title of your post was never displayed, except for the case where you are starting a thread (which you already specified). Since e90post was the first, and basically still only, online forum I use, I never thought too much about this. But after having looked at other online forums, I agree that the standard seems to be to show the title of the message.

I've just gotten used to ignoring the "Title" section when posting. However, after looking at other forums that come in different formats, I can see how message titles can be important, particularly the ones that show posts as branches.

I think adding the title to display wouldn't be too intrusive to how we currently view this forum. Ideally, it could go in the shaded bar separating messages, the same line where it displays the date and time of the posted message (in fact, the date, time, and post # might go well in the left column, above the poster's name).

Sorry, your titles haven't been seen, I'm sure this community appreciates good wit and creativity. So even if we don't get the "Title" thing to display, put it in the first line of the message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seh
This has been bothering me for some time: Each message posted to the forum carries a (optionally empty) title. The title of the first message posted to a thread becomes that thread's title. Subsequent reply messages posted to that thread have titles of their own, but they're not visible.

Looking at Bimmerfest, also running vBulletin, individual messages with non-empty titles get formatted with the title in bold, alongside the optional message icon, framed in a small horizontal bar above the message body text.

Would it be possible to make these message titles visible on E90Post? I usually come up with some pithy title for my messages, then discover with great disappointment that they're denied the fawning adulation they so very much deserve.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Tittlelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by seh

I agree. Seeing the title would help me decide whether or not to pursue the thread, but yes, mostly I think titles can be entertaining.
Coco however clearly doesn't pity the fools who waste time thinking up titles.
Appreciate 0