E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about CPO

12-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Question about CPO

Hello all,

My car is about to run out of CPO warranty in a month. I am going to take it to the dealership on January 3rd to replace an injector and will try to have a bit more work done under CPO. The car has a couple of issues that I'd like to have fixed now before CPO expires.

- I have a small oil leak on the valve cover gasket. Every once in a while, a drop of oil goes on the exhaust manifold and the fumes get sucked in through the air ducts and end up inside the cabin. I looked under the hood the other day and the oil is coming from the corner of the VC, on passenger side of the car, near the firewall.
- My idle is not smooth at times, it goes up and down between +/- 550rpm and 900rpm, and I am suspecting dirty intake valves are the culprit.

From your experience here on this forum, are these two fixes above usually covered by the CPO warranty?

I called my dealer yesterday and they gave me a half assed answer. The person I talked to on the phone said "when you bring the car in, our tech will have to determine if the oil leak is really coming from the valve cover gasket, and they will also have to determine if the erratic idle comes from the dirty intake valves before we can tell you if these will be covered under CPO"...

If not, it's not a big deal, and not very costly. I can do it myself. The gasket is $40 and a few cans of carb cleaner will set me back maybe another $30. It's just time consuming and I'd rather have someone else do it for me for $50 if I can.

Thanks,
      12-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I think the misconception about CPO lies in the fact that it is not at all like the bumper to bumper warranty. There are TONS of things that are not covered. Say your radiator hose bursts, the motor overheats, and the head is damaged. That's not covered with a CPO.

So when you go in for something and you have a CPO, they have to determine if what you are reporting is in fact defective, and is in fact covered by a CPO. If both of the above are true, then you pay $50 plus tax and it's fixed. If either of the above are not true, then you pay them the hourly rate for diagnosing your car. I get the feeling that many don't know that and believe that CPO is "almost" the same as the original bumper to bumper....
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I think the misconception about CPO lies in the fact that it is not at all like the bumper to bumper warranty. There are TONS of things that are not covered. Say your radiator hose bursts, the motor overheats, and the head is damaged. That's not covered with a CPO.

So when you go in for something and you have a CPO, they have to determine if what you are reporting is in fact defective, and is in fact covered by a CPO. If both of the above are true, then you pay $50 plus tax and it's fixed. If either of the above are not true, then you pay them the hourly rate for diagnosing your car. I get the feeling that many don't know that and believe that CPO is "almost" the same as the original bumper to bumper....
Yeah I do know that not everything is covered by CPO.

My question is, if they do diagnose that the oil leak is coming from the VCG, will the replacement be covered under CPO? and if they do diagnose that the erratic idle comes from the carbon buildup on the intake valves, will the walnut blasting be covered under CPO? Because if I know in advance that they won't be covered under CPO, I won't even ask them to look at it. I'll just do it myself, and save $ on the diagnosis.
      12-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Can anyone provide any input?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
VCG should be under CPO.
Highly doubt walnut blast would be under CPO, but I've seen some have had it apparently done. Depends on the dealer in the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

One of my telescopic rods for my headlight washer is sticking. The other one was replaced shortly after I bought car under the original warranty. I'm now on the CPO warranty. Other than the $50 fee, I think it should be covered. Gotta call the dealer today
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT81 View Post
One of my telescopic rods for my headlight washer is sticking. The other one was replaced shortly after I bought car under the original warranty. I'm now on the CPO warranty. Other than the $50 fee, I think it should be covered. Gotta call the dealer today
I may be wrong about this, but I don't think CPO covers these kinds of issues...
      12-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
I may be wrong about this, but I don't think CPO covers these kinds of issues...
you are right. It doesnt.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Roberto Cervezas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i M Sport 6MT

What is Not Covered?

The following items are not covered under the Certified Pre-owned program for enrolled vehicles
retailed prior to 1/1/2014.

Vehicle Maintenance and Upkeep

Adjustments; balancing or rotation (tires); batteries (as a stand alone repair); brake pads and
rotors (discs), brake shoes and drums; engine drive belts; exhaust systems (including the catalytic
converters); filters; fluid replacement of a component by itself; fuses; maintenance services;
manual and SMG transmission clutch assemblies; oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolant
(except as required in the course of performing a covered repair); rubber hoses and clamps (except
for air conditioning and power steering); spark plugs; strut
elements/shock absorbers (dampers); tires; wheel alignment; wiper blade inserts.

Wear and Tear Only

Ball joints; bushings; center tie rod; control arms and brackets; driveshaft flex disc (guibo
coupling); flywheel, ring gear and clutch disc contact area; idler and pitman arms; springs
(sagging); stabilizer bar links and supports; suspension bushings; tie rod ends and adjusting
sleeves; trailing arms, wishbones and thrust struts.
Note: The components listed above in the “Wear and Tear Only” section are covered for
defects in materials or workmanship.

Body and Interior

Air or water leaks; body and chassis (all, including gas pressurized springs/struts, latches, locks
and windscreens); body seals and gaskets; bulbs including Xenon and LEDs (instrumentation bulbs
are covered); carpeting; cupholders; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination; door brakes
and checks; floor and trunk mats; headlamp and headlamp assemblies (including electrical/electronic
components); headliner; lenses and lens assemblies (excluding electrical/electronic components);
mirrors and mirror assemblies (including electrical/electronic components); mouldings and
fasteners; paint; trim - interior and exterior (all, including the seatbelt extender arm and
assembly, sunblinds including the drive motors and sun visors); wheels; wind or body noises.

The following is not covered except as noted below:

Convertible top (except for its electrical/electronic components); door handles and carriers
(except for the Comfort Access electrical/electronic components); glass (except for the front rain
sensor, the grid for the rear defroster/defogger and the remote; control transmitter antenna - door
lock function); upholstery (except for the seat heating elements and seat occupancy sensor mat).

Accessories (Standard and Optional)

DVD players; navigation system; radio/CD/Multimedia/Cassette Player or Multi-CD changer; telephones
and systems; any components of the systems noted above; all non-original equipment parts,
components and accessories.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
DouggyB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
Hello all,

My car is about to run out of CPO warranty in a month. I am going to take it to the dealership on January 3rd to replace an injector and will try to have a bit more work done under CPO. The car has a couple of issues that I'd like to have fixed now before CPO expires.

- I have a small oil leak on the valve cover gasket. Every once in a while, a drop of oil goes on the exhaust manifold and the fumes get sucked in through the air ducts and end up inside the cabin. I looked under the hood the other day and the oil is coming from the corner of the VC, on passenger side of the car, near the firewall.
- My idle is not smooth at times, it goes up and down between +/- 550rpm and 900rpm, and I am suspecting dirty intake valves are the culprit.

From your experience here on this forum, are these two fixes above usually covered by the CPO warranty?

I called my dealer yesterday and they gave me a half assed answer. The person I talked to on the phone said "when you bring the car in, our tech will have to determine if the oil leak is really coming from the valve cover gasket, and they will also have to determine if the erratic idle comes from the dirty intake valves before we can tell you if these will be covered under CPO"...

If not, it's not a big deal, and not very costly. I can do it myself. The gasket is $40 and a few cans of carb cleaner will set me back maybe another $30. It's just time consuming and I'd rather have someone else do it for me for $50 if I can.

Thanks,
Gizmo,

I understand your frustration, but unfortunately this is what type of answer has to be given over the phone. Most likely, your issues are due to normal circumstances, but every once in a while there is a cause or something that is straight up bizarre & thus not covered by warranty (either New Vehicle or CPO). It’s basically a safe, CYA answer. I wish it could be easier than this, but this world is sue happy so we have to CYA. It sucks, but it’s the truth & the same answer I give to people is “I have to look at it first.”
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Cervezas View Post
What is Not Covered?

The following items are not covered under the Certified Pre-owned program for enrolled vehicles
retailed prior to 1/1/2014.

Vehicle Maintenance and Upkeep

Adjustments; balancing or rotation (tires); batteries (as a stand alone repair); brake pads and
rotors (discs), brake shoes and drums; engine drive belts; exhaust systems (including the catalytic
converters); filters; fluid replacement of a component by itself; fuses; maintenance services;
manual and SMG transmission clutch assemblies; oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolant
(except as required in the course of performing a covered repair); rubber hoses and clamps (except
for air conditioning and power steering); spark plugs; strut
elements/shock absorbers (dampers); tires; wheel alignment; wiper blade inserts.

Wear and Tear Only

Ball joints; bushings; center tie rod; control arms and brackets; driveshaft flex disc (guibo
coupling); flywheel, ring gear and clutch disc contact area; idler and pitman arms; springs
(sagging); stabilizer bar links and supports; suspension bushings; tie rod ends and adjusting
sleeves; trailing arms, wishbones and thrust struts.
Note: The components listed above in the “Wear and Tear Only” section are covered for
defects in materials or workmanship.

Body and Interior

Air or water leaks; body and chassis (all, including gas pressurized springs/struts, latches, locks
and windscreens); body seals and gaskets; bulbs including Xenon and LEDs (instrumentation bulbs
are covered); carpeting; cupholders; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination; door brakes
and checks; floor and trunk mats; headlamp and headlamp assemblies (including electrical/electronic
components); headliner; lenses and lens assemblies (excluding electrical/electronic components);
mirrors and mirror assemblies (including electrical/electronic components); mouldings and
fasteners; paint; trim - interior and exterior (all, including the seatbelt extender arm and
assembly, sunblinds including the drive motors and sun visors); wheels; wind or body noises.

The following is not covered except as noted below:

Convertible top (except for its electrical/electronic components); door handles and carriers
(except for the Comfort Access electrical/electronic components); glass (except for the front rain
sensor, the grid for the rear defroster/defogger and the remote; control transmitter antenna - door
lock function); upholstery (except for the seat heating elements and seat occupancy sensor mat).

Accessories (Standard and Optional)

DVD players; navigation system; radio/CD/Multimedia/Cassette Player or Multi-CD changer; telephones
and systems; any components of the systems noted above; all non-original equipment parts,
components and accessories.
Probably the best info on CPO right here.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
jeffro535
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2019 X3M40

Mine's had rough idle, misfires and really annoying hesitation issues and a ac leak that we're all fixed under CPO to include two walnut blasts.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I just had my car in the shop under CPO with 72K miles on it. They replaced the valve cover and the valve cover gasket as well as the gasket for the oil filter housing. Stick your hand under the oil filter housing and make sure that there is no oil coming from there. The walnut blasting I asked about and they said mine werent so bad, but not sure if it would have been covered under the CPO.
Appreciate 0