F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Any reason to look beyond PSS for OE Runflat replacement?
proTUNING Freaks

12-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Any reason to look beyond PSS for OE Runflat replacement?

Looking at replacements for the OE run flats and everything I have read here and on Tirerack pretty much says Michelin PSS are the way to go. I have put the Conti DW's on a few cars, but feel the sidewall may be too soft for the Bimmer.

I have the Sport package with the 18 x 8 wheels, so looking at 245/45 size. Curious if anyone has gone this route and what they think.

Thanks,

Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Looking at this as well... Posted a separate thread on this and got no responses. I ordered my 320 with the all seasons and sport package w/18s but I'm betting that the factory A/S runflats are garbage. Looking at Bridgestone RE970 Pole Positions. Just have those installed the first week I have the car, sell the originals and call it a day. What kind of OE run flat's came on your car from factory?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

If $$$ is not an issue then yes, PSS is the way to go. There are other options out there that are decent performing. I am going to be running Hankook RS3 for track and most likely just their V12 for street. The RS3 are only costing me like $1k installed which is great for a track tire.
      12-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhart View Post
Looking at replacements for the OE run flats and everything I have read here and on Tirerack pretty much says Michelin PSS are the way to go. I have put the Conti DW's on a few cars, but feel the sidewall may be too soft for the Bimmer.

I have the Sport package with the 18 x 8 wheels, so looking at 245/45 size. Curious if anyone has gone this route and what they think.

Thanks,

Jimbo
I've used both and both are excellent. I think you really couldn't go wrong with either although I found the DWs tend to squeal more when pushed (I had them on my e46). This could be by design as the squeal is added to street tires to warn you that you are pushing the limits of grip. I haven't tested every tire there is but the PSS did deliver a noticeable difference. Worth extra cash? You'd have to decide but I did find them to be excellent in the rain. They almost fool you into thinking you're invincible in the wet.

I haven't driven my F30 in the summer yet but I hear people complain about lack of feedback from the steering. I bet it's the run-flats and not the car.
Appreciate 0