E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thinking of going from 335i to Mini Cooper GP

12-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Thinking of going from 335i to Mini Cooper GP

Well my 335 just ran out of CPO. Went to the BMW dealer and like usual they don't want to help me look at cars and totally blow me off like usual. I walk around the back and see two of M-sport 335s I'm looking for that the salesman told me they had NONE of. So I wander across the street to Mini and start looking around until i see this 1 of 2000 Mini Cooper S GP edition. Car is totally tricked out, adjustable coil overs, huge brembo brakes, no backseat for weight reduction,recaro racing seats . Only issue i have is its kind of slower compared to my 335, they say 0-60 in 5.9 but it handles incredible. Have my car for sale locally seeing the offered me an insulting number for my car on trade. Anyone have a GP or know anything about them or if I'm crazy.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
MaineBMW335ie92
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i e92

One problem...G-G-G-GAYYYYY

Still a Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Stick with a bmw.
      12-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBMW335ie92 View Post

Still a Mini Cooper
I'm not usually so confrontational online, but this makes no sense to me. Get off your high horse. Minis have a long history of being nimble and fun-to-drive machines. The newer ones are no exception.

Mini Coopers, not necessarily their more bloated models (Countryman or even the Clubman), are legitimate handling machines even though they're FWD. They punch way above their weight when it comes to handling. They've gotten bigger in recent years, but many people I've talked to and online reviewers say they still have their go-kart like handling and charm. FWD is going to be the hard selling point for the BMW crowd though, which is understandable.

OP: 0-60 in ~6s will be noticably slower than your 335i, but the car's handling will surprise you, especially since this car is modified. This specific Mini you're looking at is going to have a noticeably different personality and presence on the road. I've seen some JCW Minis on the street, parked and driving around, and they have a certain look to them (and sound) that gives off a different vibe.

If you're the type of person who values handling in the twisties more vs. straight line speed, then this car will not disappoint. You will have to ask yourself though if you're willing to adjust or put up with the handling characteristics of FWD. I'm personally not sure if I could go back to FWD as it would be very difficult for me. I like having at least rear-biased AWD. If there was ever a car that would lure me away from RWD/AWD though, it would be the Mini Cooper S.

It's really a matter of personal preference and what you want. Just ask yourself what you really want out of a car and what you're really looking for. Don't get the car if ultimately what you're looking for is just something new or different. Make sure you really want it and that you're not compromising. If you just want another 335, go to another dealership and find one as it sounds like the one you were working with doesn't care enough to want your money.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by norsairius; 12-29-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

isn't mini owned by BMW? But, I wouldn't let branding non-sense make the descision. If you want a more nimble car i'd go for the mini.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
dozer008
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335i

what does your gf or wife think?
      12-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
Get the new M235i!! Perfect happy medium between your 3 and the Mini.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
I'm not usually so confrontational online, but this makes no sense to me. Get off your high horse. Minis have a long history of being nimble and fun-to-drive machines. The newer ones are no exception.

Mini Coopers, not necessarily their more bloated models (Countryman or even the Clubman), are legitimate handling machines even though they're FWD. They punch way above their weight when it comes to handling. They've gotten bigger in recent years, but many people I've talked to and online reviewers say they still have their go-kart like handling and charm. FWD is going to be the hard selling point for the BMW crowd though, which is understandable.

OP: 0-60 in ~6s will be noticably slower than your 335i, but the car's handling will surprise you, especially since this car is modified. This specific Mini you're looking at is going to have a noticeably different personality and presence on the road. I've seen some JCW Minis on the street, parked and driving around, and they have a certain look to them (and sound) that gives off a different vibe.

If you're the type of person who values handling in the twisties more vs. straight line speed, then this car will not disappoint. You will have to ask yourself though if you're willing to adjust or put up with the handling characteristics of FWD. I'm personally not sure if I could go back to FWD as it would be very difficult for me. I like having at least rear-biased AWD. If there was ever a car that would lure me away from RWD/AWD though, it would be the Mini Cooper S.

It's really a matter of personal preference and what you want. Just ask yourself what you really want out of a car and what you're really looking for. Don't get the car if ultimately what you're looking for is just something new or different. Make sure you really want it and that you're not compromising. If you just want another 335, go to another dealership and find one as it sounds like the one you were working with doesn't care enough to want your money.

Just my $0.02.
Wow, Minis are gay now. what my gf thinks common. These people are idiots.

I drove the car, finally got a day above 35 so they let me take it out (still has the race tires). When in sport mode with the traction control in "GP" mode the car was incredible. Could hear the turbo blow off, exhausted gurgles and pops when downshifting and coming up to lights. And the handling was insane and boy did those brembos bite and slow that car down in no time flat. I want to get out of my 335 at the moment, waiting for the new M3. Don't want to get caught in a lease for a new 3 series (personally I didn't like my 335, it felt cheap compared to my 5 series)

I was really impressed with the handling and the power is ok for now. Im trying to see if renntech makes a tune for it at the moment. Took my dad on the test drive and he's willing to take it over once the M3 comes out. Just looking for someone with some non its fucking gay opinions.

Every car I've owned so far is a RWD BMW so it would be a change for me now, but my car driving situation has change. I no longer DD my 335i it sits in the garage, I have a work Tundra and a E39 530 I drive after work.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Not crazy about the styling, to each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
rdub315
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
This car has gotten good reviews from Top Gear, Top Speed, etc. From a fun-to-drive standpoint, I'd be very tempted. Depends on the sticker price though. I'd love to know what they'd try to gouge you for.
- VTT Stage 2 turbos, VTT inlets, Cobb Pro Tune (E30 and 93 octane tunes), MFactory LSD, 335is clutch, CSF radiator, slim fans, Walbro 255, AE exhaust, AA downpipes, ETS FMIC, Vishnu DCI, ETS charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS OCC
- H&R Touring Cup Kit, Apex Arc8, M3 style front bumper, MTech style rear bumper and diffuser
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub315 View Post
This car has gotten good reviews from Top Gear, Top Speed, etc. From a fun-to-drive standpoint, I'd be very tempted. Depends on the sticker price though. I'd love to know what they'd try to gouge you for.
Oh they are being jackass, sticker is 39k they want 37 find them new all over the country for under 35.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

My ex had a MINI Cooper - you want to talk about cheap interior feel?
Anyway, hopefully the particular trimline you're considering getting is superior in some ways...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92oholic View Post
Oh they are being jackass, sticker is 39k they want 37 find them new all over the country for under 35.
GTFO lol sorry, 35-7k can get you a better car then a new MC-GP.

Might as well buy a MC-JCW or a Cooper S and mod the hell out of it for much cheaper. They got juiceboxes for those new coopers.

Not saying the mini is a gay or ugly car, but defiantly not for everyone. If you like it, then buy it. No one needs to understand why you traded a 335 for a mini. If you regret it then go back to a 335i, if not then its meant to be.

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Anyway, hopefully the particular trimline you're considering getting is superior in some ways...
Its alcantra recaro racing seats, leather trimmed dash, and door panels. Its actually really nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92oholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Its alcantra recaro racing seats, leather trimmed dash, and door panels. Its actually really nice.
Ah ok. I know the baseline one I wasn't too keen on... sounds pretty good brotha!
Just sucks on how MINI tries to gouge you for every little thing... but not unlike BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

You can buy a C6Z06 for that kind of money.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335 View Post
You can buy a C6Z06 for that kind of money.
God no. No american cars
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Parth317
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 09 E92 335i(SOLD)

I really like Minis. They're really nimble, and handle really well! Definitely not as fast as a 335i, but they are fun around the corners. I drove my friend's old Mini Cooper and I felt like I was driving a go kart lol. You could always consider a 1 Series if you want more power + rwd.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Handling is good but you feel everything on the road and it's just so small. Wouldn't be my choice. Why do you seem afraid to use and want to get rid of your 335 just because your CPO is up?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
MaineBMW335ie92
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBMW335ie92 View Post

Still a Mini Cooper

Just my $0.02.
Just stating what the young adult community thinks of mini's in general.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
Handling is good but you feel everything on the road and it's just so small. Wouldn't be my choice. Why do you seem afraid to use and want to get rid of your 335 just because your CPO is up?
Im not afraid but normally i get rid of cars in 2 years. The clutch has seen better days and I'm just bored with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
F-16 CHIEF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92oholic View Post
God no. No american cars
That's the greatest deal on the planet for what you get.