E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Telematic Combox Retrofit Question

12-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
CapnCook
Gibbon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 320d Touring

Telematic Combox Retrofit Question

Hi Guys,

I have a 2009 LCI with CIC & Pro Nav with Bluetooth.

I am buying a Telematic Combox, it comes on it's own and is a used item.

Can someone please tell me:

1) Does this work alongside my current Bluetooth module, or does it replace it totally?

2) I have seen the "how to build a retrofit harness" but that looks way over my expertise level, can you buy these pre-built from anywhere in the UK?

3) I'm not massively fussed about the telemetry stuff, I'm only going for this telematic one because it's ultra-cheap, but if I did want the telemetry do I need to run wires from the boot up behind the dash or will some wiring already be there? (That might be a silly question)

4) Will the combox allow me to retrofit a USB/AUX input in my centre console t replace the single AUX that is currently fitted?

Sorry for all the questions, I have honestly searched for ages about this but the more I read the more confused I get.....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CapnCook; 01-03-2014 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

The only thing that I've gathered through endless nights of research is
that the telemetry stuff will never work because BMW won't transfer
account details over to the new combox unit so it can never be connected.
      01-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
CapnCook
Gibbon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 320d Touring

Sorry, I only just saw your reply!

Thanks for the info, I'm not overly bothered about the telemetry anyway, it sounds like a PITA to install from what I gather from other threads.

I do however now have my combox here, but I'm still nowhere near being able to actually fit it.

I did contact bimmer-tech (who offer a complete PnP combox kit) and enquired if they could supply only the PnP harness but they replied saying they don't deal with anyone who has not bought the parts from them... so that's a no go.

Is there anywhere/anyone else I can contact to get my hands on a PnP retrofit harness?

Any help would be awesome

Thanks

You all know what a combox looks like but here's mine for good measure. It looks like a pretty old unit, made in 2010, so I guess it won't have as many features as the newer ones, but I'd still like to get it working. Hopefully I'll be able to....

01-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
bungleaio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pug 208

Send a message to Makkan00, he's the man for this. He's done a combox retrofit on my car that didn't have anything but cic before.

He will help with what you need and installation.
Appreciate 0