E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E85 Flexfuel Owners/Tuners

01-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

E85 Flexfuel Owners/Tuners

Kind of an odd question since I'm not yet in a 335 (should be once my stocks pay out in full by March/April ):

If you run 100% E85 through the system with catless DP's, DP Fix, Tune, DCI, etc. will you pass a sniffer test?

There's the question for those that don't want the background as to why I'm asking. Here's my reasons. The plan as of right now is to find an N54 powered 6MT E90/92 (number of doors makes no difference to me weirdly ) in Xi (Colorado snow sucks for RWD) and my goals for the time being are the 400whp/~400tq range of power. I realize the practical way of achieving this kind of power is with catless DP's, tune, dci, FMIC, CP, and a blend of E85/91. Colorado has a strange new system for checking emissions after the sticker goes kaboom. We have these nifty roadside testing vans that take readings as the cars flyby on an on ramp for the highway. The readings are tagged with your rear license plate number and logged for registration purposes. Every time your emissions comes due during registration, you get a notification in the mail saying you passed and it is not necessary to go to a smog center (if you passed).

Because they aren't doing a visual or OBDII check with these roadside vans, it kind of makes me think they are relying entirely on sniffer data. I don't know if anyone has tried to cheat the system by throwing it in neutral (pressing the clutch in for us stick guys and gals) and coasting by the vans.
I guess I'm just looking for practical advice concerning emissions here since I'm not real fond of switching pipes out every time a test comes due. I would like to think that E85 would be the answer in this case.

Thoughts? Appreciate anything that would help put my concerns to rest.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Really can't see how a van trying to take an emissions readings is accurate..... Think you need to look more into this
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

sounds like you took full advantage of the new legalization law. J/K but I do think it's odd. Just shut the car off and coast by these vans, or put stacks on the car, I won't judge.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

You know how low the standard must be for drive by emissions testing. Sounds like they aren't really interested in real emissions testing and you'd have to be smoking up the road to fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
chepy24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive

Interesting! I'm in colorado too and thought about posting this question but just too lazy haha. Was wondering if I'd pass the roadside with catless dp and just a mix of e85
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepy24 View Post
Interesting! I'm in colorado too and thought about posting this question but just too lazy haha. Was wondering if I'd pass the roadside with catless dp and just a mix of e85
I'm glad I asked because no one else around our area ever has.

See? And the rest of you thought I was going crazy.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
chepy24
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I'm glad I asked because no one else around our area ever has.

See? And the rest of you thought I was going crazy.
They sure did! Haha yea in my saab I passed one every single day on my way to work. Now I wanna throw dp on my car but don't wanna deal with emissions. Hope someone around here with dp can chime in and let us know if they passed and got to ok to renew or had to go in and do the test. If we don't get an answer I suppose I'll be the guinea pig lol
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

lol wtf thats weird. looks like legalization of marijuana is ramping up nicely
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
stanlalee
Major
Rep

so let me get this shit straight, as cars drive by they sniff the air? You don't have to pull over, no pit crew runs out and shoves a sniffer up yours at a red light they just do this on the go? So what if the wind is blowing forward and the car behind you is a pre OBD 55' Chevy? How bad does your car have to screw up the surrounding air and of what kind of radius? Seems like there would be way too many variables and there can't be much of a standard.

I hope this doesn't catch on lol, it would piss off enthusiast everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee
so let me get this shit straight, as cars drive by they sniff the air? You don't have to pull over, no pit crew runs out and shoves a sniffer up yours at a red light they just do this on the go? So what if the wind is blowing forward and the car behind you is a pre OBD 55' Chevy? How bad does your car have to screw up the surrounding air and of what kind of radius? Seems like there would be way too many variables and there can't be much of a standard.

Usually it's a road block over here in California, they will set up a smog check point on some decently sized road and will have all cars pull over. They bring rolling road with them and each car takes their turn.

I'm in some fb groups that usually let me know where to avoid driving that day lol.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
chepy24
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post

Yup lol it's usually on the onramp to the highway. They're pretty close I would say the little tube thing (lol) is about a couple feet from the exhaust when you drive by it not sure how it works but I love it lol never had to go do emissions until I bought my bimmer a few months back but the dealer paid for it since it wasent even on sale yet when I bought it haha it's pretty convenient. I'll try and snap a pic next time I see one
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
chepy24
Captain
Rep

Here we go lol http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251594448127

I think it's pretty nifty haha
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
stanlalee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Here we go lol http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251594448127

I think it's pretty nifty haha
lol I'd definitely try shutting it down and coasting past it before I removed or added any parts. if one still have secondary cats (stock cat back) that might be sufficient under part throttle as well.

Last edited by stanlalee; 01-07-2014 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
firemanjust1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3/03 350z

I have to say this is one of the dumbest thing that I ever heard of & I always thought NY & CA were bad, but this is just a whole new level of dumb. If this is the case you probably should just go with catted dp or no dp at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
I went and watched the video and after watching I wish they would put them in Portland OR. It would save me the hassle of making sure my car is in ready state every two years with an OBD port scan. I'm FBO with VRSF DPs, but I have my secondary cats to keep my car from smoking or smelling bad. Also, I can pass visual inspection which I have had a few motorcycle cops question my car due to noise level @ 4k rpm. Low RPM load LOAD AFR is near 15:1.

OP, if you're still running your secondary cats and you're running 100% E85, you won't have any issues passing. At idle INPA is within emissions parameters. Also, if you really want to make sure you pass as long as you have your secondary cats, get them really hot before you detour and drive by nice and steady without hitting the gas...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
I went and watched the video and after watching I wish they would put them in Portland OR. It would save me the hassle of making sure my car is in ready state every two years with an OBD port scan. I'm FBO with VRSF DPs, but I have my secondary cats to keep my car from smoking or smelling bad. Also, I can pass visual inspection which I have had a few motorcycle cops question my car due to noise level @ 4k rpm. Low RPM load LOAD AFR is near 15:1.

OP, if you're still running your secondary cats and you're running 100% E85, you won't have any issues passing. At idle INPA is within emissions parameters. Also, if you really want to make sure you pass as long as you have your secondary cats, get them really hot before you detour and drive by nice and steady without hitting the gas...
Thanks for the input Wedge. You da man .
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
DesertDude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 DCT

Quote:
Yup lol it's usually on the onramp to the highway. They're pretty close I would say the little tube thing (lol) is about a couple feet from the exhaust when you drive by it not sure how it works but I love it lol never had to go do emissions until I bought my bimmer a few months back but the dealer paid for it since it wasent even on sale yet when I bought it haha it's pretty convenient. I'll try and snap a pic next time I see one
They aren't "sniffing" the air. They are using a laser spectrometer that they shoot across the road to measure the makeup of the exhaust plume as you drive by.
More information here: http://aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/how-i/

Probably pretty accurate under the right conditions.
Appreciate 0