F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > which suspensions are people changing to?
Studio RSR

01-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

which suspensions are people changing to?

you see suspension changes on this forum in trends.

First there was a wave of Eibach and then H&R ruled.

Most I see are spring changes on stock shocks (standard/sport/DHP).

There was a mini run for MPS set ups, but apparently, the costs scares most people into the above set up.

BC coil overs are popular for the price, but Bilsteins PSS10 seem to scare many also with their price.

Lately it's Dinan springs on stock shocks seem to be the suspension most highly anticipated as the holy grail for lower and better (while being cheap)

Depending who starts the thread and who reviews, cosmetic appearance seems to be equally weighted to performance enhancements. "Slammed" mentally definitely rules the mod scene on F30post.

Ranking in PERFORMANCE/comfort, what is the heirachy for performance enhancements? from what I've read. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- standard
- stock w/ Eibach
- OEM Sport
- OEM sport w/ DHP
- stock sport with H&R springs
- BC coils
- H&R springs with bilstein shocks
- KW v1
- Bilstein PSS10 comfort
- BMW M Performance Suspension
- Bilstein PSS10 sport & KW V2
- KW v3
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

with all due respect, not sure what you're really gonna gain from this thread..

everyone has a diff set of tolerability, needs, and goals in suspension mods. What is bouncy to one, is not to another, what is harsh to one, not to another, what is too low, isn't etc etc.

Also, not sure there is a "f30 scene"...there's some well modded cars but far from a scene imo, as this isn't some niche sports car we're talking about.
      01-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Tditty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335x with m package

Does anybody have a bc coilover review? On a f30 of course
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
with all due respect, not sure what you're really gonna gain from this thread..

everyone has a diff set of tolerability, needs, and goals in suspension mods. What is bouncy to one, is not to another, what is harsh to one, not to another, what is too low, isn't etc etc.

Also, not sure there is a "f30 scene"...there's some well modded cars but far from a scene imo, as this isn't some niche sports car we're talking about.
there is a "group buy" pack mentality I noticed on forums. if there is good feedback on a solution, many will jump in to try also especially if costs are reasonable.

obviously everyone's preferences/tolerances are different, not to mention budgets and goals. Some of the nicest modified cars are lowered for lowered sake still. The ride height is one part of the overall look of the car (wheels, body kits). Cruising still trumps real track use where messing with your suspension incorrectly is not recommended.

I set a ranking based on all the suspension threads I've read. It was quite hard to filter a lot of the suspension modification threads while I'm researching what to do with my car. To read between the lines when a modification was tolerable because it gave the desired drop in ride height. "my car doesn't bounce and handles better" is cryptic in my opinion. You need to see the effect it does on a wider range of roads (winter/summer), if the car is tracked (autoX or big tracks) and how long the stock shocks really lasted. The follow up 2-3 months later or even 12 months is a more meaningful feedback.

Last edited by focal; 01-17-2014 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
You forgot H&R Coilovers. I have them and cannot say I would recommend them over any of the others because I have not rode in any other F30 with another set-up. You always hear how others are but like it has been said everyone has their own perception. For me the H&Rs are a tad too bouncy for me, but they rebound quickly so most likely the crap roads we have is why I feel they are bouncier than I would like. Definitely smoother than any of my other cars just lowered on springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

I think it depends on what people are trying to achieve. For looks, H&R springs, and Eibach springs are what some people go to, other people say they match up better with the Bilstein shocks from a performance perspective. MPS is an OEM solution, so many people who want to retain warranty above all else go that route. And Dinan is just entering the scene with springs specifically designed for OEM shocks with revised bumpstops. I don't think springs alone can improve performance very much, but they are a better option than H&R and Eibach because they will be optimized and shouldnt cause bounciness like them. So for those who want a cheap OEM level drop with a tad more stiffness, Dinan is for them. And then coilovers are for those looking for the ultimate performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

performance speaking

personally, I don't think the MPS is for OEM only. I have confidence that the amount of R&D put into that system was more than a few cars fitted on the weekend. This is a true performance gain.

That's where I get mighty concerned with some of the third party systems where it's, "let's get ourselves a volunteer with a F30 or two and try various spring rates and shock rates". That's the extent of R&D.

The web's mix and match mentality also is a concern. Especially when the xdrive is concerned.

The v2 or v3 coil overs require a lot of testing to suit one's personal needs. H&R/Bilstein/KW all have the tools to fine tune. this can only be a good thing if you have the right suspension guys to help you tune.

appearance
this is where a lot of the information gets jumbled. Springs on stock shocks are a tricky combo. this route is very common on these forums and it's purely an appearance play. that's how I see it. Hopefully Dinan/H&R/Eibach have picked spring rates that are within a decent tolerance of the shocks and it won't wear them out nor create a negative ride/handling issue.

upgrading from stock vs upgrading from a Msport suspension

another tricky combination that is very UNKNOWN on these forums. Not upgrading the sways to larger Msport sets if you have a base suspension is very unknown. Especially the effect it has on the ride and handling. The MPS has it clearly noted to upgrade sways also. do all the aftermarket springs/coils assume you have base sways or Msport sways? have these test been done with base sways and Msport sways?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Punisher_F80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M3 Comp

Im running H&R Coil overs on my 2014 335i M sport and its not that bad,just a little bouncy on ruff roads but what do you expect for anytime other then after OEM
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
performance speaking

personally, I don't think the MPS is for OEM only. I have confidence that the amount of R&D put into that system was more than a few cars fitted on the weekend. This is a true performance gain.

That's where I get mighty concerned with some of the third party systems where it's, "let's get ourselves a volunteer with a F30 or two and try various spring rates and shock rates". That's the extent of R&D.

The web's mix and match mentality also is a concern. Especially when the xdrive is concerned.

The v2 or v3 coil overs require a lot of testing to suit one's personal needs. H&R/Bilstein/KW all have the tools to fine tune. this can only be a good thing if you have the right suspension guys to help you tune.

appearance
this is where a lot of the information gets jumbled. Springs on stock shocks are a tricky combo. this route is very common on these forums and it's purely an appearance play. that's how I see it. Hopefully Dinan/H&R/Eibach have picked spring rates that are within a decent tolerance of the shocks and it won't wear them out nor create a negative ride/handling issue.

another tricky combination that is very UNKNOWN on these forums. Not upgrading the sways to larger Msport sets if you have a base suspension is very unknown. Especially the effect it has on the ride and handling. The MPS has it clearly noted to upgrade sways also. do all the aftermarket springs/coils assume you have base sways or Msport sways? have these test been done with base sways and Msport sways?
Well, from what I've seen the F10 springs and e9x M3 springs by Dinan have very good reviews and no reports of bounciness. I have seen reports on bounciness with eibach springs on this forum as well as the m3 forum. So I have no doubt they will be good on the F30 as well. And you're right regarding the MPS, it does provide a huge performance improvement over the stock suspension, but I don't think there is any fancy engineering going on there. They just took stiffer springs and matched them with stiffer shocks, and called it a day. $3000 installed from a BMW dealership is quite a bit for just that. I just meant that if you're after ultimate performance, tuning a KW/Bilstein coilover kit can get you better performance and more adjustability at the cost of your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

If Dinan is including bump stops, I wonder how floaty it'll feel without properly set shocks.

This thread is almost pointless without the same person testing all of the suspensions, or a track head to head comparison.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
If Dinan is including bump stops, I wonder how floaty it'll feel without properly set shocks.

This thread is almost pointless without the same person testing all of the suspensions, or a track head to head comparison.
I will let you know. Ordered the Dinan springs today w/bumpstops. Plan to get them installed some time next week.
      01-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal
performance speaking

appearance

Re: ARBs, this is why the M performance suspension is so expensive for those with a base car, the ARBs are too tiny.
I'm curious to see base cars installed with the Dinan and other setups without the upgraded ARBs.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post

I know this thread is hard to convey…but what I'm trying to gather is what is a true performance improvement and what's a cosmetic play with minimal detriment to handling?

From the sounds of all those suspension reviews, the normal comments are , "it's awesome, drop looks amazing, rides better, doesn't bounce, handles on rails, what factory should have delivered, etc….."

I actually think your review and experience with the MPS along with other reviews has made me order and install the MPS over a full v2 or v3 coil over system.

The new Dinan springs do look amazing on paper and their reputation will be a great value approach to lowering and improving handling over stock M-sport. I regret going with the MPS at times given the cost difference of the MPS vs Dinan springs only. Having a base suspension though makes me think the Dinan isn't just springs and would be recommended to upgrade to a proper 704 suspension before changing to Dinan springs.

Last edited by focal; 01-16-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know this thread is hard to convey…but what I'm trying to gather is what is a true performance improvement and what's a cosmetic play with minimal detriment to handling?

From the sounds of all those suspension++3 reviews, it's "awesome, drop looks amazing, rides better, doesn't bounce, handles on rails, what factory should have delivered, etc….."

I actually think your review and experience with the MPS along with other reviews has made me order and install the MPS over a full v2 or v3 coil over system.

The new Dinan springs do look amazing on paper and their reputation will be a great value approach to lowering and improving handling over stock M-sport. I regret going with the MPS at times given the cost difference of the MPS vs Dinan springs only. Having a base suspension though makes me think the Dinan isn't just springs and would be recommended to upgrade to a proper 704 suspension before changing to Dinan springs.
Base suspension? I thought you have a sportline 328i? Sportline and M-Sport trims have the same suspension.
      01-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
Base suspension? I thought you have a sportline 328i? Sportline and M-Sport trims have the same suspension.
Canadian sportline has to add 704 sports or m-sport suspension as a separate option.

my sportline did not have the 704 option checked.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Canadian sportline has to add 704 sports or m-sport suspension as a separate option.

my sportline did not have the 704 option checked.
oh i see, that sucks.
      01-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Speaking of sway bars, I thought Dinan was supposed to come out with springs and sways in January? Anyone know about upgraded sway bars from them?
      01-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:

From the sounds of all those suspension++3 reviews, it's "awesome, drop looks amazing, rides better, doesn't bounce, handles on rails, what factory should have delivered, etc….."

In your case, you're definitely going to be better off with the MPS. The Dinan springs are designed as a small (cheaper) improvement over the sport/DHP suspension packages. The MPS is a full kit which will transform even your base car to above an M sport with Dinan springs Enjoy buddy!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #19
ILUSV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
In your case, you're definitely going to be better off with the MPS. The Dinan springs are designed as a small (cheaper) improvement over the sport/DHP suspension packages. The MPS is a full kit which will transform even your base car to above an M sport with Dinan springs Enjoy buddy!
I ran into focal's issue as well, I got my 328 sportline with a Base suspension. GCC spec cars don't get the 704.

I've been thinking about Coilovers and don't mind the cost but I figured the MPS might be the best way to go... I'm glad I found this thread.

What does the MPS include and how much of a drop should I expect? keeping in mind that I'm running Base suspension?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #20
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUSV View Post
I ran into focal's issue as well, I got my 328 sportline with a Base suspension. GCC spec cars don't get the 704.

I've been thinking about Coilovers and don't mind the cost but I figured the MPS might be the best way to go... I'm glad I found this thread.

What does the MPS include and how much of a drop should I expect? keeping in mind that I'm running Base suspension?

Thank you

I really think all suspension upgrades off the base suspension isn't so straight forward. Even with Dinan springs. The shocks are probably needing upgrade for any spring only upgrade. I think most spring only upgrade assume you have M-sport shocks and not BASE suspension. Also The improvement to the Msport sways is highly recommended. This definitely puts the costs of the sways (~$800-1000) as a real expense to any suspension upgrade. The MPS system is really a cup kit (matched shocks/springs) that lowers the car .75" over the Base suspension. You will still need to add the cost of the sways also to the MPS.

coil overs + sways = to the price of MPS also. so it really comes down to how much control you want on ride height and damper settings. the MPS is a passive system that is completely matched to the car. The Coil over will require some fine tuning, which you have the option to do. Some want a lower car than MPS and you have to have coil system to truly match ride comfort and spring rates to create that lower ride height.

springs with stock shocks or bilsteins will require some testing to meet your personal tastes and expectations. Dinan using bump stops seems to have put more R&D into the effects using stock m-sport shocks or DHP shocks. Not lowered for lowered sake. Hence the excitement on these forums about their springs. Finally a lowering and performance solution that's $1000-1500 less than MPS and a solution for Xdrive and DHP f30's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
dealer booked me in and then calls me two days later not for pick up but to tell me they don't have all the parts and cannot install yet. Thank goodness I have a loaner. This is the reason I wanted the MPS installed before delivery. Save me a lot of effort and anxiety. Although I get two anticipation days. One for delivery at the beginning of the month and the installation of the MPS any day now.

Last edited by focal; 01-16-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

springs with stock shocks or bilsteins will require some testing to meet your personal tastes and expectations. Dinan using bump stops seems to have put more R&D into the effects using stock m-sport shocks or DHP shocks. Not lowered for lowered sake. Hence the excitement on these forums about their springs. Finally a lowering and performance solution that's $1000-1500 less than MPS and a solution for Xdrive and DHP f30's.
I agree with the sentiment on Dinan doing their research. I have more trust in Dinan than an H&R or Eibach. I mean Dinan has been doing this for almost 35 years now, all BMW.

I can't wait to see how my car drives with the new Dinan springs.
      01-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #22
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUSV View Post

Thank you
The MPS suspension is the most straight forward for a base car. They sell two kits. One for the sport suspension models which is a combo of shocks and springs. Then they have a kit for the base car which includes the sway bars from the sports models as well as the shocks and springs. Basically, when you buy the MPE for the base suspension, you end up with the same suspension as a sports supension with MPE. This is why I think it's the most straight forward. Also, for the base suspension, you will get a 20mm drop over stock.
Appreciate 0