2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions F10 Ambient Light installation

01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

F10 Ambient Light installation

1. Does anyone know where you can buy the Ambient Lights kit (preferably in the UK)?
2. Does anyone have a step by step guide demonstrating how to install it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

I *think* you will find the light strips are built into the wood/ali strips, so likely you would need different ones to the ones you have.

Hope that is right, just had a look at mine
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
I *think* you will find the light strips are built into the wood/ali strips, so likely you would need different ones to the ones you have.

Hope that is right, just had a look at mine
Not sure if i understood you. Are you saying that i have the strips built into my vehicle so all i need to do is source the light strips and replace them?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmmDubleYuu View Post
Not sure if i understood you. Are you saying that i have the strips built into my vehicle so all i need to do is source the light strips and replace them?

Thanks
No, what I mean is, when you have ambient lighting, the door strips are not separate, they are built into the wood/ali strips, so in order for you to add ambient lighting, you would need the new door card strips in wood/ali, and then the wiring, rather than just sticking a strip under your existing wood/ali

Hope that makes sense
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
No, what I mean is, when you have ambient lighting, the door strips are not separate, they are built into the wood/ali strips, so in order for you to add ambient lighting, you would need the new door card strips in wood/ali, and then the wiring, rather than just sticking a strip under your existing wood/ali

Hope that makes sense
Wrong answer. The recessed areas are there in the wood or aluminum trim. Have you even looked before you tell people that they parts are different?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
jordinho
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d

BeeEmmDubleYuu you cann buy them from the dealer. All the parts are available on Real OEM. But do you know if the wiring is there in the door trim already? This is the biggest question...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Livefour2day
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

I am half way through doing this I have purchased all the parts from my local BMW dealer.
The light strips are separate from the trims, the rear doors have power for the LED light strips, but the front doors don't, and they have to be routed into the front door.
I will be posting a DIY guide with all part numbers if there's enough interest.
Will be finishing the front doors in the next 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:57 AM   #8
jordinho
Rep

Yes there is a lot of interest - in Europe mainly.
There are a lot of 520D's here without the ambient lighting. And this is one of the coolest retrofit there is.
I , and a lot of other people, are looking forward to your DIY. Thanks and good luck with your project.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
jordinho
Rep

And how are the rear doors looking. Are the lights up to your standards? And are the lights coming on as they should (when the front dash orange lights come on)?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefour2day View Post
I am half way through doing this I have purchased all the parts from my local BMW dealer.
The light strips are separate from the trims, the rear doors have power for the LED light strips, but the front doors don't, and they have to be routed into the front door.
I will be posting a DIY guide with all part numbers if there's enough interest.
Will be finishing the front doors in the next 2 weeks.
Looking forward to your DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
jordinho
Rep

I did some research and it looks like for the front doors we need to take the power from the rear doors.
After we complete the connection of all 3 lights for the rear doors (top fibre-optic, door pocket fibre-optic and door opener light) to the existing wires inside the rear doors we need connect an additional wire to the same source that we have to route towards and then to take it inside the front doors.

I think this is the only way.

The good news is that the existing wires inside the rear doors are connected to the main system and the dimmer for the front dash lights works for the ambient lights as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Sylvan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 520d SE saloon F10

Ambient Light

Hi Jordinho
Have managed to install these yet. I have just purchased a used 520d and would love to retrofit the ambient lights
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
jordinho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
Hi Jordinho
Have managed to install these yet. I have just purchased a used 520d and would love to retrofit the ambient lights
Thanks
Yes I did. You can find the tutorial under a separate topic
Appreciate 0