E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Paint shops in Dallas...Best Quality/Best Price

11-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

Paint shops in Dallas...Best Quality/Best Price

Ok guys, anyone got any hookups at good paint shops in Dallas? Need to get my Rieger spoiler painted and I don't feel like getting taken to school on the price for just a spoiler. Let me know if you guys can hook me up. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
livnlegacy
Original Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine E36 M3, 02 325iT

Garage List
o7 E90 335i  [0.00]
I always laugh at these "best quality for cheapest price" threads regarding paint/body work. If there is an industry in that the statement "you get what you pay for" is 100% true, it's the auto paint/body industry. If you want perfect results, expect to pay top dollar. If you aren't going to be anal about imperfections in the paint/clear coat, then you can expect to spend a little less. Also, remember that most body pieces aren't perfect when they are new and require some sort of additional prep in at least one area prior to primer.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlegacy View Post
I always laugh at these "best quality for cheapest price" threads regarding paint/body work. If there is an industry in that the statement "you get what you pay for" is 100% true, it's the auto paint/body industry. If you want perfect results, expect to pay top dollar. If you aren't going to be anal about imperfections in the paint/clear coat, then you can expect to spend a little less. Also, remember that most body pieces aren't perfect when they are new and require some sort of additional prep in at least one area prior to primer.
I think your confused as to what I was asking. I'm asking if anyone has any hookups on paint. Its 80% labor so if you know someone you can get quite a large discount. When I had my old fully modded e46, I would take it into the "ghetto" for lack of a better term to get paint done and the work was superb and super cheap. So thanks for your negative/non-helpful comments but it can be done which is why I made this post in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
livnlegacy
Original Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
o7 E90 335i  [0.00]
sorry if you took my post as negative, I was just trying to help with your expectations. I've heard of a shop called Bud's or something similar up there, but have no personal experience nor do I know anyone for a "hook up".
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sorry if you took my post as negative, I was just trying to help with your expectations. I've heard of a shop called Bud's or something similar up there, but have no personal experience nor do I know anyone for a "hook up".
Its cool, but no need to make a post like that if your not going to contribute to the thread. Its not the end of the world if I don't get the hookup somewhere but you never know unless you ask, right? I'm just hoping for a fellow DFW e90post member might work at a paint shop or have someone who does good work for them whose pricing isn't outrageous. I just don't feel like paying more to get the spoiler painted than what I paid for the spoiler in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
livnlegacy
Original Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
o7 E90 335i  [0.00]
I was responding more to your thread title than your actual question I suppose....and I was trying to contribute

Why don't you just take it to the place you took your e46 since they did superb work for super cheap? What kind of money are you looking to spend? I think most places in DFW would probably charge around 1.2 to 1.6 labor hours (unless it needs some extra repair/prep) at around $75/hr for paint labor & materials. I believe that's either close to, or right at the market-rate up there. Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was responding more to your thread title than your actual question I suppose....and I was trying to contribute

Why don't you just take it to the place you took your e46 since they did superb work for super cheap? What kind of money are you looking to spend? I think most places in DFW would probably charge around 1.2 to 1.6 labor hours (unless it needs some extra repair/prep) at around $75/hr for paint labor & materials. I believe that's either close to, or right at the market-rate up there. Good luck with it.
Not sure if they are still in business and even more not sure if I want to take a brand new 335i over there.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
livnlegacy
Original Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
o7 E90 335i  [0.00]
If it's just the spoiler you need painted, you can take off either a tow-hook cover from one of the bumpers or your fuel door...leave that with the paint shop for color-matching purposes and you won't have to leave your car at the shop. Then you can install it yourself or go back to the shop once its painted and wait on the install if need be. Most shops will do stuff like that if you ask. Is this a front bumper spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it's just the spoiler you need painted, you can take off either a tow-hook cover from one of the bumpers or your fuel door...leave that with the paint shop for color-matching purposes and you won't have to leave your car at the shop. Then you can install it yourself or go back to the shop once its painted and wait on the install if need be. Most shops will do stuff like that if you ask. Is this a front bumper spoiler?
Apparently your not getting it. If they are still in business I would prefer not to go over there period in fear of being shot or robbed. I was much younger when I had my e46 and it didn't really bother me (the old young and invincible feeling). I'm now older and much wiser. It's my Rieger rear spoiler. The Aero lip is coming prepainted from Longtran.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
livnlegacy
Original Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
o7 E90 335i  [0.00]
gotcha...just throwing ideas out there
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #11
Mikey335i
Accountant with 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver Metallic 07 335i 6sp

Schneid would recommend Dallas roadster in plano! off ave k

i think he will charge $160 (ballpark) and $110 to install, but i installed mine, myself (easy/a little messy) just let me know if you need anyhelp