M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

01-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Drove an RS7 - oh dear.

So I took an RS7 out for about 40 minutes today. All I can say is - very underwhelming.

Feels like you are driving a train rather than a car. Very poor feedback from suspension/steering - Engine is not bad but not a patch on the F10 motor in my view. Tried to have some fun in the car and it just doesn't want to play. If its faster than an F10 I'd be amazed, it doesn't feel fast. Inside felt not bad typical audi.

If anyone test drives both cars - unless you are a funeral director or a priest then you'll drive off in the M5 without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Thanks for the feedback - feared that may be the case, Audi going back to their old ways now Porsche are on the scene. I'm sure the exhaust was nice though?

Going off at a tangent, are you still sticking with the CP sports exhaust? I'm considering M-perf to keep it 'BMW', but worried I may spoil the refinement.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
on the M5? yes sticking with it, not sure the M perf will be a good enough improvement as it was on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I drove it and my thoughts differ. But I only got the car for about 8 miles and it was street driving up to about 110mph. The dig rips were strong and as you said the steering was indeed tough as Audi always has it. Did you set the modes to dynamic on all the options? If you didnt its like driving a car in comfort and it will be less impressive no doubt.

I need to drive one again with the steel springs and change the steering mode to comfort.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
it was in comfort mode but the sales droid pushed something to make it a lot more aggressive but even then it was poor in my view.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I drove it and my thoughts differ. But I only got the car for about 8 miles and it was street driving up to about 110mph. The dig rips were strong and as you said the steering was indeed tough as Audi always has it. Did you set the modes to dynamic on all the options? If you didnt its like driving a car in comfort and it will be less impressive no doubt.

I need to drive one again with the steel springs and change the steering mode to comfort.
Vic when are you going to get the turbo S? Cold is trying to talk me into a turbo; the same guy we had go use thr force go get a Porsche. I can grab a rivieria blue in October so I have some time if a wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
So I took an RS7 out for about 40 minutes today. All I can say is - very underwhelming.

Feels like you are driving a train rather than a car. Very poor feedback from suspension/steering - Engine is not bad but not a patch on the F10 motor in my view. Tried to have some fun in the car and it just doesn't want to play. If its faster than an F10 I'd be amazed, it doesn't feel fast. Inside felt not bad typical audi.

If anyone test drives both cars - unless you are a funeral director or a priest then you'll drive off in the M5 without a doubt.
Have I told you lately M5Post loves you -
Seriously
Finally someone who agrees with me... And I know RS7 is not that much better than S6 probably a bit louder !!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Thanks for the feedback - feared that may be the case, Audi going back to their old ways now Porsche are on the scene. I'm sure the exhaust was nice though?

Going off at a tangent, are you still sticking with the CP sports exhaust? I'm considering M-perf to keep it 'BMW', but worried I may spoil the refinement.
Guys please have someone drive your car and push it hard and you watch him/her and listen to the car as he drives off into the distance!!
I did that today,
Had my wife so it for me (She is used to those silly requests)
And wow... it is a sweet not very loud but conservatively so enough not to embarrassing you close to work -

I live it as it is....
And I am sure it is way better in CP as mine is not!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
And I know RS7 is not that much better than S6 probably a bit louder !!
Uh, I am no Audi aficionado but I think this is going to get some serious kickback. Starting to remind me of an old friend named FTC.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Uh, I am no Audi aficionado but I think this is going to get some serious kickback. Starting to remind me of an old friend named FTC.
Where is FTC???
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Where is FTC???
Hahaha! Vic told me that he got banned and all of his posts deleted.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #12
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Where is FTC???
Hahaha! Vic told me that he got banned and all of his posts deleted.
Well deserved
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #13
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Wink

Quote:
What do you mean?
He was supposed to not agree with this statement about RS7 not being that much different than S6... well I based this statement of mine based on reading so many posts of people who actually drove many S and their RS counterparts...

And my take based on their take and my experience with some S4, S5 and S6 test drives myself, S6 is already a lot sportier than say 550i with M Pacakge and you only get a little bit more sportiness when you go full blown RS badge eg louder exhauste and a little more aggressive stance and Susp and HP like say just above where S is but still probably not where ///M is like RS4 and M3.

Just for instance:
How come in S6 you get a sweet DCT that I liked most about S6 then if you want to go up to RS7 you get ZF which is obviously still very good but we all know not as sporty or as fast as DCT or Instantaneous Paddle Shifters response!
I know ZF because I have it in 550i and love it but too soft even with S mode on!! Not as sharp like a blade!! NOT DCT!!

So sportiness wise grading IMHO:
Not overall car (Just how sporty)

535i-550i ----》 5/10
335i ----》 6/10
S5-6-7 ----》 7/10
RS5-6-7 ----》 8/10
///M3-5 ----》 9/10
Porsche -----》 9.5/10
GTR/R8 etc -----》 10/10 (Where you probably can't have it as a DD)

I believe I may be stoned alive after this post,
Take it easy with the stones guys -; )

Hahahahaha

Last edited by soooma; 01-20-2014 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:18 AM   #14
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:

Feedback I've had on RS6 (outside of the forum) is similar to that from Neil. Most are saying that the handling a bit wooden. Although your drive seemed to have had a different outcome, the oversteer I believe you said you experienced is off putting. Shame really because I really like the looks & concept of the RS6 (and also sounds awesome in the online videos). I was hoping that this would a better drive than the M5
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
What do you mean?
He was supposed to not agree with this statement about RS7 not being that much different than S6... well I based this statement of mine based on reading many posts of people who actually drove many S and their RS counterparts...

And my take based on their take and my experience with some S4, S5 and S6 test drives myself...
S6 is already a lot sportier than say 550i with M Pacakge and you only get a little bit more sportiness when you go full blown RS badge eg louder exhauste and a little more aggressive stance and suspension and Engine output like say 2 points above where S is but still probably not where ///M is like RS4 and M3 (From what I read never been in either just the S4 2010),,, but when you get from 550i very luxury oriented even with M package and 19 inch wheels is really so many points below ///M5 ...

M5 and take it from someone who still has 550i 2012 F10 is a completely different car and I am really surprised they really look almost the same with M package on my 550i...

Just for instance:
How come in S6 you get a sweet DCT that I liked most about S6 then if you want to go up to RS7 you get ZF which is obviously still very good but we all know not as sporty or as fast as DCT or Instantaneous Paddle Shifters response (I was amazed to downshift 5 gears down that quick from 7 to 2 in M5 Amazing) !!!!!!!!!
I know ZF because I have it in 550i and love it but too soft even with S mode on!! Not as sharp like a blade!! NOT DCT!!

535i-550i ----》 4/10
335i ----》 5/10
S5-6-7 ----》 6/10
RS5-6-7 ----》 8/10
///M3-5 ----》 9/10
Porsche -----》 9.5/10
GTR/R8 etc -----》 10/10

Now Vicc55 will say I love the sound of my keyboard -; )
Hahahahaha
:
Ignore Vic on this one his view is not representative. I think he evaluates cars in the context of having a massive garage and looks for a car that stands out on one dimension which may add something new. Most of us have 2-3 cars and want a more rounded car which is excellent on multiple dimensions rather than uber excellent on one dimension and crap on others. Vic also tends to get pissed off when people disagree with him - it's not personal. You don't warrant banning.

Neil like Vic is also an experienced driver who has owned a lot of cars over the years. However Neil appreciates multiple facets of what makes a car enjoyable and this review reflects that.

At the end of the day you got to figure out whose reviews reflect criteria you value. The very fact that Vic thinks the M5 is mediocre, combined with the fact that most of us love it should send a strong signal to you that his tastes may be different.

And I'm not slamming Vic here, his posts have been very helpful to those of us exploring sports cars. Just not so helpful on Sports sedans.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #16
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
Quote:
What do you mean?
He was supposed to not agree with this statement about RS7 not being that much different than S6... well I based this statement of mine based on reading so many posts of people who actually drove many S and their RS counterparts...

And my take based on their take and my experience with some S4, S5 and S6 test drives myself, S6 is already a lot sportier than say 550i with M Pacakge and you only get a little bit more sportiness when you go full blown RS badge eg louder exhauste and a little more aggressive stance and Susp and HP like say just above where S is but still probably not where ///M is like RS4 and M3.

Just for instance:
How come in S6 you get a sweet DCT that I liked most about S6 then if you want to go up to RS7 you get ZF which is obviously still very good but we all know not as sporty or as fast as DCT or Instantaneous Paddle Shifters response!

535i-550i ----》 5/10
335i ----》 6/10
S5-6-7 ----》 7/10
RS5-6-7 ----》 8/10
///M3-5 ----》 9/10
Porsche -----》 9.5/10
GTR/R8 etc -----》 10/10 (Where you probably can't have it as a DD)

Hahahahaha

Well comparing the S6 to the RS6 is like comparing the 550i to the M5. Different category altogether.

Also, I don't agree whatsoever with Stealth's assessment of Vic's representations either but we each are entitled to our own opinions. To me he is spot on. Not only has he owned many of the makes and models that we discussed, but his taste in them has been impeccable. He drives the cars and makes real world assessments rather than regurgitating magazine bs as is very common around here. I'd pretty much just send Vic a build on a particular car and then go with his recommendations. In fact, I just did with the 991 TT.

Nope. Not going to slam you on your list there either. As long as in the Porsche slot you don't have the TT ranked below the GTR and the R8. No way you could give me either of them in place of my TT. :-)

And I wasn't insinuating that you deserved to be banned. I just meant that some of the posts were, well, off the wall a bit.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Ignore Vic on this one his view is not representative. I think he evaluates cars in the context of having a massive garage and looks for a car that stands out on one dimension which may add something new. Most of us have 2-3 cars and want a more rounded car which is excellent on multiple dimensions rather than uber excellent on one dimension and crap on others. Vic also tends to get pissed off when people disagree with him - it's not personal. You don't warrant banning.

Neil like Vic is also an experienced driver who has owned a lot of cars over the years. However Neil appreciates multiple facets of what makes a car enjoyable and this review reflects that.

At the end of the day you got to figure out whose reviews reflect criteria you value. The very fact that Vic thinks the M5 is mediocre, combined with the fact that most of us love it should send a strong signal to you that his tastes may be different.

And I'm not slamming Vic here, his posts have been very helpful to those of us exploring sports cars. Just not so helpful on Sports sedans.
Oh Stealth you dont know me and you clearly are off base but Ill respect your mis guided approach above.

I was clear in my review that it was short and that MY opinon varied. Who are you to tell me how I feel and how I buy my cars. This is the reason I laugh at you on some of your posts about you defend your double purchases of the same car LOL. I have owned an M5 and still own an M6. Whats your experience? Oh yeah owning the same two cars. Where is your driving experience in any of the other cars other than reviews you read. I much rather read a real persons review here and thus I can give it. Too bad Neil didnt like cause then you would not have posted. You are hilarious.

I loved my M5 but I get ADD of car ownership and will try things new. My stable has nothing to do with it as I just get cars I like. If I was trying to compliment one need by offsetting with another purchase than you would see completely different cars. I have all coupes right now if you took the time to look instead of judge. My sedan purchases are the following (higher level listed): 2001 E55, 2003 M5, 2004 E55, 2010 E63, 2012 E63, 2013 M5.... so I kind of do indeed like high performing sedans Stealth and yes that is how I feel. LOL.

Where have I ever said it was mediocre? As a sports sedan its at the top but I can (and you cant stop me) from comparing it to other cars that I have driven. You are the true epitome of one sided, without tangible experience, I speak from fact and experience and those are mine to have and share whether its liked or not. I have not insulted Soooooma here just have mentioned what happened to FTC (all he did was nut hug the M5 after he hated it in the 550 forum).

Like I said, you dont know me and I thank god for that !!!!!

Oh thanks for the last bit to make your obutse post make you feel better by saying that I contribute alot.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well comparing the S6 to the RS6 is like comparing the 550i to the M5. Different category altogether.

Also, I don't agree whatsoever with Stealth's assessment of Vic's representations either but we each are entitled to our own opinions. To me he is spot on. Not only has he owned many of the makes and models that we discussed, but his taste in them has been impeccable. He drives the cars and makes real world assessments rather than regurgitating magazine bs as is very common around here. I'd pretty much just send Vic a build on a particular car and then go with his recommendations. In fact, I just did with the 991 TT.

Nope. Not going to slam you on your list there either. As long as in the Porsche slot you don't have the TT ranked below the GTR and the R8. No way you could give me either of them in place of my TT. :-)

And I wasn't insinuating that you deserved to be banned. I just meant that some of the posts were, well, off the wall a bit.

This.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agree with this. It's stupid to compare cars in completely different categories.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Well comparing the S6 to the RS6 is like comparing the 550i to the M5.
Everyone knows my opinion on the 550i...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #21
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh Stealth you dont know me and you clearly are off base but Ill respect your mis guided approach above.

I was clear in my review that it was short and that MY opinon varied. Who are you to tell me how I feel and how I buy my cars. This is the reason I laugh at you on some of your posts about you defend your double purchases of the same car LOL. I have owned an M5 and still own an M6. Whats your experience? Oh yeah owning the same two cars. Where is your driving experience in any of the other cars other than reviews you read. I much rather read a real persons review here and thus I can give it. Too bad Neil didnt like cause then you would not have posted. You are hilarious.

I loved my M5 but I get ADD of car ownership and will try things new. My stable has nothing to do with it as I just get cars I like. If I was trying to compliment one need by offsetting with another purchase than you would see completely different cars. I have all coupes right now if you took the time to look instead of judge. My sedan purchases are the following (higher level listed): 2001 E55, 2003 M5, 2004 E55, 2010 E63, 2012 E63, 2013 M5.... so I kind of do indeed like high performing sedans Stealth and yes that is how I feel. LOL.

Where have I ever said it was mediocre? As a sports sedan its at the top but I can (and you cant stop me) from comparing it to other cars that I have driven. You are the true epitome of one sided, without tangible experience, I speak from fact and experience and those are mine to have and share whether its liked or not. I have not insulted Soooooma here just have mentioned what happened to FTC (all he did was nut hug the M5 after he hated it in the 550 forum).

Like I said, you dont know me and I thank god for that !!!!!

Oh thanks for the last bit to make your obutse post make you feel better by saying that I contribute alot.
Haha. I knew you would react like this - with an angry rant in the form of a badly written essay!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #22
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Haha. I knew you would react like this - with an angry rant in the form of a badly written essay!
I was laughing the whole time. (damn i wrote that well too)
Appreciate 0