E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Assist window problems

11-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Assist window problems

Well, my first idrive related problem...

A couple of times recently, my idrive has had an issue. I try to move into the assist window (the small 1/3 scren on the right) and my idrive knob will not let me get to it. It will work perfectly within the larger screen (2/3 window size), but will not allow me to get to the right to change it.

Its not all the time, but ocassionally. I brought in my car a few weeks ago and was hoping to get a software update, but they would not give it to me. Im somewhat hoping it happens again so I can show the dealership, but is this going to be something that will be fixed through new SW???
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post

A couple of times recently, my idrive has had an issue. I try to move into the assist window (the small 1/3 scren on the right) and my idrive knob will not let me get to it. It will work perfectly within the larger screen (2/3 window size), but will not allow me to get to the right to change it.

Its not all the time, but ocassionally. I brought in my car a few weeks ago and was hoping to get a software update, but they would not give it to me. Im somewhat hoping it happens again so I can show the dealership, but is this going to be something that will be fixed through new SW???
Sorry AJ, I haven't hear of this before.
So you push the idrive knob to the right and the assist screen never get the focus?

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Sometimes the interface is so damned slow that it doesn't recognize -- or seems like it doesn't recognize -- the "push" motion. For me, this happens mainly while things are still booting up, while BT is still pairing, etc. It is annoying, but I've learned to live with it. Trying again after I know everything has "booted" has always worked for me.

It sounds like your issue is worse than that. You're saying you are locked out from moving to the assistance window. If that's the case, it could be either a h/w or s/w issue. To check if it is h/w-related, I'd go to the map screen on the main screen and see if I could move to the icons on the left of the map, then back again. If you can, but you can't go to the assistance window, at least you know it's a s/w issue, not a h/w issue.

Assuming this is a s/w issue, yours is the first report of this behavior I have seen. I'd absolutely insist on a s/w update to see if that fixes it.

In the meantime, if you cannot get over to the assistance window, remember that you can use voice commands to change it if you need to -- "Assist window, [command]."
      11-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
Sorry AJ, I haven't hear of this before.
So you push the idrive knob to the right and the assist screen never get the focus?
I would push it to the right, and it would never move to the assist window. I would have all functionality of the left screen, but nothing on the right.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Sometimes the interface is so damned slow that it doesn't recognize -- or seems like it doesn't recognize -- the "push" motion. For me, this happens mainly while things are still booting up, while BT is still pairing, etc. It is annoying, but I've learned to live with it. Trying again after I know everything has "booted" has always worked for me.

It sounds like your issue is worse than that. You're saying you are locked out from moving to the assistance window. If that's the case, it could be either a h/w or s/w issue. To check if it is h/w-related, I'd go to the map screen on the main screen and see if I could move to the icons on the left of the map, then back again. If you can, but you can't go to the assistance window, at least you know it's a s/w issue, not a h/w issue.

Assuming this is a s/w issue, yours is the first report of this behavior I have seen. I'd absolutely insist on a s/w update to see if that fixes it.

In the meantime, if you cannot get over to the assistance window, remember that you can use voice commands to change it if you need to -- "Assist window, [command]."

It is certainly being locked out from the assistant window. It has only happened a few times. Not every time I start it up, but twice in the past week or so.

I will certainly be asking for a SW upgrade. My E92 is going in for its 15k service soon. I just hope that the dealership isnt going to give me the runaround again because I could not replicate it at the dealership. If it happens again, Im running straight over there...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Well, now Im having all sorts of problems. First, my ipod menus froze up. My ipod would still play, but the idrive menus froze.

Also, my bluetooth connectivity goes in and out.

I took it to the dealership Wednesday when I was having the ipod menu problem. Its looking like I will finally get the SW upgrade. They are creating a PUMA for my problems...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:

I had the same problem a few times, and the service guy said this was one of the fixes in the software update.

FWIW, when I couldn't get the controller to go to the Assistance Window, I used voice commands, and they *did* work. "Assistance window; perspective view"
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
I had the same problem a few times, and the service guy said this was one of the fixes in the software update.

FWIW, when I couldn't get the controller to go to the Assistance Window, I used voice commands, and they *did* work. "Assistance window; perspective view"
Glad to know I was not the only one experiencing this. I did not get the software upgrade, but I am in the process of talking to a few people higher up the chain at my dealership to get it taken care of.

My idrive was freezing in the ipod menu, this assistant window problem, and the occasional incredibly slow (up to 60 seconds) response to controller inputs...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Babe
Test here
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Glad to know I was not the only one experiencing this. I did not get the software upgrade, but I am in the process of talking to a few people higher up the chain at my dealership to get it taken care of.

My idrive was freezing in the ipod menu, this assistant window problem, and the occasional incredibly slow (up to 60 seconds) response to controller inputs...
Crappy dealer, squeaky wheel gets the grease...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe View Post
Crappy dealer, squeaky wheel gets the grease...
Even my written letter (email) to the head of the service department has gone nowhere... Looks like Im looking for a new dealership... Its a shame because I have had a good working relationship with my current dealership until now...
Appreciate 0