THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes M Performance Suspension Questions

01-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
G8r3Series
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ///M3

M Performance Suspension Questions

I have a couple questions about the M Performance suspension and I was curious if anyone has been able to get a valid answer to these.

1. Does the M Performance Suspension lower the car 20mm from the M235i ride height? What is the starting point BMW uses when they say it is 20mm lower?

2. Will the addition of M Performance Suspension affect the adaptive suspension that comes standard on the M235i (for example not allow you to adjust suspension settings)?

I have seen some speculation on the boards but looking to see if anyone has gotten an official response to either of these questions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8r3Series
I have a couple questions about the M Performance suspension and I was curious if anyone has been able to get a valid answer to these.

1. Does the M Performance Suspension lower the car 20mm from the M235i ride height? What is the starting point BMW uses when they say it is 20mm lower?

2. Will the addition of M Performance Suspension affect the adaptive suspension that comes standard on the M235i (for example not allow you to adjust suspension settings)?

I have seen some speculation on the boards but looking to see if anyone has gotten an official response to either of these questions.

Thanks!
No official response but the answers that seem to be universally accepted are:

1) it's 20 mm from the base suspension on the 228, it's only 10 compared to the M adaptive suspension which is standard on the M235

2) M performance is fixed / non adjustable and eliminates the adaptive feature. Question is how firm is it compared to the firmest (Sport plus) on the adaptive suspension? That's what we need to know
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Agree with Ramos, that's it.
      01-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
No official response but the answers that seem to be universally accepted are:

1) it's 20 mm from the base suspension on the 228, it's only 10 compared to the M adaptive suspension which is standard on the M235

2) M performance is fixed / non adjustable and eliminates the adaptive feature. Question is how firm is it compared to the firmest (Sport plus) on the adaptive suspension? That's what we need to know
For the firmness, check out the and search the F30 board. I have the adaptive on my F30 and likely its the same system. From what I've read the non-adaptive sport suspension is about equal firmness. Sport and Sport+ on that system makes no difference.
      01-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

They are talking about the M Performance aftermarket suspension, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719
Exactly
Oh right exactly. My Bad. But although it wont be a 1:1 comparo, I would still check out the F30 site. I remember a couple of guys there came from e92 m3's who got the MPS but originally had the standard sport/MSport or adaptive and gave feedback on the ride and handling changes as they made the upgrade and compared.

But since the MPS hasn't been released, no one will know for sure how serious the MPS will be.

Oh and I apologize in advance if this search is a time waster No one will know for sure until MPS is available and driven against the other 2 suspensions. Checking the F30 board will only give you an idea...

Last edited by Seagull; 01-25-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

I noticed today that the www.shopbmwusa.com website says that the M Performance Suspension is available on the 228i but *not* on the M235i.

That seems a little odd.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
ir_fuel
Rep
Drives: M235i

In Europe it is for sale now.

It is 10mm lower than the M235i suspension and (of course) not compatible with the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir_fuel View Post
In Europe it is for sale now.

It is 10mm lower than the M235i suspension and (of course) not compatible with the adaptive suspension.
Maybe that's why the BMW USA site says that you can't get the M Performance Suspension with the M235i. The M235i comes standard with the adaptive suspension here.

Seems a little silly that you can't get the most performance-oriented suspension on the most performance-oriented model, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
ir_fuel
Rep

This kind of stuff happens all the time. The Porsche 997 GT3 (pre-facelift) couldn't be bought with bucket seats either in the US, and had a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep

So, anyone ever get the M Performance Suspension on their car? If so, any feedback?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

It works very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
So, anyone ever get the M Performance Suspension on their car? If so, any feedback?
On my M Performance Ltd Edition, with the 20" tires, it feels superb. Can be better- and am sure Dinan Shockwave or so would remap it nicely- but incomparably better or stiffer than stock.

Incrementally, Sports is nice, Sports + even better, both way nicer than Comfort Mode.

My only limitation thus far has been road temperature (low), grime, dust, potholes etc.

Also remember that my car is xDrive, so it is not the Adaptive M as on a RWD- which lowers and feels a tad better as well.

The Adaptive M Performance is also superior to the upcoming 340i suspension. The 340i improves on the old, unipressive platform, but that improvement should not, logically, be compared to the current Adaptive M Performance Suspension- which, at 3k, will remain the BMW top dog, subject to further BMW coding improvements. A base 340i will not match the Adaptive and it makes no sense pricing-wise to offer a 3k feature in a base sedan. Nor will it exceed the Adaptive on a 328, 335 or M3, it cannot. Germans do not allow that- non-M never overlaps M.

To note, not even the F80/F82 comes with Adaptive M as default- it is an 1000$ option. Once added, it offers the same spectrum of tuning as any other Adaptive M Performance. The default sporty M3 suspension is good for track and sports handling, and quite nasty without Adaptive any other minute of urban riding. One known reviewer, who got the car to test drive, essentially called the default M3 ride as jaw and teeth fatiguing, - too stiff.

There are more advanced and expensive, suspension options out there (Dinan etc) some which come with the documented risk of collapse, and repeated garage returns. However, as it stands, taking hairpins at speed with Adaptive M will be a great experience, and more sensitive to tire quality and temperature than the quality or responsiveness to the Adaptive M damper reaction time. The car always feels well planted and hugging the road- something superior to my Comfort mode, which itself is likely superior to the Non-adaptive Sport+ suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
On my M Performance Ltd Edition, with the 20" tires, it feels superb. Can be better- and am sure Dinan Shockwave or so would remap it nicely- but incomparably better or stiffer than stock.

Incrementally, Sports is nice, Sports + even better, both way nicer than Comfort Mode.
I'm confused. The M Performance Suspension is a fixed suspension. I didn't think that the Sport/Comfort settings could affect it?

Quote:
The Adaptive M Performance is also superior to the upcoming 340i suspension.

Again, I'm confused. What is this "Adaptive M Performance" suspension of which you speak?

There is an M Performance Suspension and an Adaptive M Suspension, but not an Adaptive M Performance Suspension, as far as I am aware.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
ScrappyDoo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I'm on the M Performance Suspension. This is the passive aftermarket option under the M Performance parts category. You can distinguish this from the rest by the red springs.

The M Performance suspension is passive, so you will not be able to adjust its stiffness when toggling between comfort and sport chassis. You'll only feel the steering becoming stiffer. The ride height is also fixed and non-adjustable. After settling, there's about a finger-and-a-half gap between fender and tyre, for both front and rear. From the side profile, the car seems completely even, not tilting to the front or rocking to the rear. I'm sorry I can't get any pictures up. You'll just have to take my word for it.

My car came with the original M-sports suspension which I swapped out to the KW V2 because the M-sports was too soft and I was pogo-ing front and back when I go beyond 200 kmh (125 mph). The KW solved the problem but introduced several others. The lowering was too drastic for daily driving even when adjusted to the highest point. I was scrapping humps in my area. The KW was also a bit noisy and there were some knocking and squeaking introduced when going over little imperfections.

So I bit the bullet and got the M Performance Suspension. The noises are gone and I can confidently clear humps without slowing to a crawl. Although you can't adjust the damping or rebound for this suspension, you actually do not need to as it is very sorted and well tuned by the BMW guys. Though stiffer, it remains very comfortable and holds up just as well as the KW when I go beyond 200 kmh. I do not miss the ability to adjust the chassis setting with the M Performance. The car remains flat when going in and out of lane on overtaking, and gives me the same sense of confidence as the KW when going around corners at speed .

This is a good option to consider if you need to balance daily driving with weekend wildness.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #16
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the response!

But==>
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #17
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused. The M Performance Suspension is a fixed suspension. I didn't think that the Sport/Comfort settings could affect it?

Again, I'm confused. What is this "Adaptive M Performance" suspension of which you speak?

There is an M Performance Suspension and an Adaptive M Suspension, but not an Adaptive M Performance Suspension, as far as I am aware.
You have standard suspension < Sport (or M Sport) < Adaptive M Suspension. Did not mean to confuse you on nomenclature.

Last edited by Musashi; 07-07-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #18
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response!

But==>
testers and reviewers agree that the Adaptive is superior to the Passive for several reasons:

- It is programmable
- It is more comfortable
- Offers the same stiffness as Passive in Sports/Sports+mode.

Roads matter. Reviewers that tested both (check out M Sport versus adaptive M), agreed that the Adaptive makes an F30 and F 80/82 far more comfortable 90% of time on any road outside a track. With RFT tires (except on M which come with Michelins) all these cars are hard; the Adaptive M absorbs bumps versus the chassis jolting up and down is a very nice feel.

Some options include really slowing down, or, in my case, dropping to Comfort mode and the bups feel much softer. Alternatively, on 20" tires, it would be my tires or wheels absorbing them and they damage very easily.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #19
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
testers and reviewers agree that the Adaptive is superior to the Passive for several reasons:

- It is programmable
- It is more comfortable
- Offers the same stiffness as Passive in Sports/Sports+mode.

Roads matter. Reviewers that tested both (check out M Sport versus adaptive M), agreed that the Adaptive makes an F30 and F 80/82 far more comfortable 90% of time on any road outside a track. With RFT tires (except on M which come with Michelins) all these cars are hard; the Adaptive M absorbs bumps versus the chassis jolting up and down is a very nice feel.

Some options include really slowing down, or, in my case, dropping to Comfort mode and the bups feel much softer. Alternatively, on 20" tires, it would be my tires or wheels absorbing them and they damage very easily.
I don't I've ever seen a review of the fixed M Performance Suspension. Please send a link!

Also, not sure why you mention run-flat tires. Any enthusiast is going to get the optional non-run flats on their 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't I've ever seen a review of the fixed M Performance Suspension. Please send a link!

Also, not sure why you mention run-flat tires. Any enthusiast is going to get the optional non-run flats on their 2 series.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=802149

There are quite a few just google Adaptive versus Passive.

RFTS come stock, and before going non RFT, many do drive for the sake of trying them. Also on 20" there is a difference in feel, non RFTs are softer, but the suspension matters no matter the tire type as the configuration as the profile is simply too thin.

2 series has the advantage of getting 19" wheels, which, is close to heaven in terms of daily driving, sportiness, and some level of forgiveness. Canadian roads are not that bad, it is the average bumpy road that makes a 20" drive an exercise in handling (avoiding bumps, drain edges, anything 1" or higher at all costs) and suspension forte.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #21
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=802149

There are quite a few just google Adaptive versus Passive.
The link you provided seems to be to a discussion of the 3 series. I certainly wouldn't draw any conclusions about the 2 series from it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #22
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The link you provided seems to be to a discussion of the 3 series. I certainly wouldn't draw any conclusions about the 2 series from it.
I would. It is the same comparison done on M3/4 and F3x, M2x.

Adaptive M works the same on all platforms, and can be additionally programmed. Passive also works the same - one setting, does not react. Driver 'feel' - or the dependent variable, on any specific platform is the result of chassis characteristics (independent variable) but affected by intervening passive vs adaptive, and road bump physics or Adaptive M ability to adjust to road angles, bumps etc remain advantages over a passive no matter the chassis.

Same reason Jag options it, Porsche (cayman, 911)- it is a costly extra except for BMW - 1000$ on top of sport suspension it is a steal.

Without it, I would be booking 4-6 alignments a year, not 1-2.
Appreciate 0