F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What's the point of having a button to start?
ARMA SPEED

01-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
RicardoSwe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Mineral Grey

What's the point of having a button to start?

I'm enjoying my new 335i a lot. I have about 600 miles on it so far. But I have issues with the Start/Stop button. I'd say this is a "form doesn't follow function" issue. In this case the form (button use) is much more complicated than it needs to be.

Bottom line --- I would MUCH rather have a key that fits into an ignition switch. I guess this is considered old school, but ---- what's the point of the button to start/stop? I think the thinking is that it's cool to start your car like a race car -- just push a button. But a race car doesn't need you to carry a key fob.

I like a key -- to start, put it in and turn; to stop, turn and pull it out. What's wrong with that? It works better.

Issues I've had:
  • trying to turn the ignition/radio/screen off -- with foot on brake. It just restarts. I continue to do this occasionally.
  • walking away from the car with the key left in the cup holder. I do this almost every day.
  • needing to "do a dance" to just turn off the car and ignition -- A) foot on brake, then push button (engine off) followed by B) foot off brake then push button again (ignition off). With a key, it's just "turn the key".
  • walking away thinking I've turned the car off, only to find that it's running when I return. I did this once going into a bank. Now I'm paranoid that I'll do it again.

I know one answer is --- but that's not getting to my point. I'll learn how to do the proper dance, it's just what's the point?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

First world problems

I would prefer a key, but to be honest I've gotten used to the button start pretty fast. I think the whole premise is you can leave the key in your pocket and not have to fiddle with it to get in, start the car etc.

+ everyone is doing it, so BMW has to play game.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I mean this in the least condescending way, but the stop/start button is extremely easy. If you are having difficulty with it, how did you type into your computer.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
bucawke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW x5

Garage List
I constantly leave my key in the cupholder when I leave my car. I used to leave my keys on my belt loop with a carabiner, but I don't like sitting down and hearing my keys scratch the leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

You're making it much more complicated than it needs to be. Get in. Push button. Go.

Stop. Push button. Get out.

There's no need to push the button to shut down the motor and then push it again to turn the car "off". It'll take care of that itself once you lock it.

As far as the car restarting when you have your foot on the brake - why are you sitting there with your foot on the brake?

And finally, leaving the key behind - why do you ever take it out of your pocket? That's the beauty of a keyless system. You NEVER need to take the fob out of your pocket.

I think you just need to reset your instincts and you'll be fine. It's definitely different, but in a good way.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Why would we want a key, with comfort access? A start-stop button is the obvious choice, IMO. The functions requires a deliberate action, the other way I suppose, would be a voice control option.

In my situation, my fob stays in a jacket pocket most of the year.

I lived with the slot in fob and stop-start button for over six years, just becomes a natural function, same as the latest method does.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

you...seriously...think getting in your car and pushing a button is complicated? you don't even have to take the key out of your pockets...you don't even have to put your car in park before you push the button to stop the engine...you don't even have to...wait, is this even a serious thread?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoSwe View Post
I'm enjoying my new 335i a lot. I have about 600 miles on it so far. But I have issues with the Start/Stop button. I'd say this is a "form doesn't follow function" issue. In this case the form (button use) is much more complicated than it needs to be.

Bottom line --- I would MUCH rather have a key that fits into an ignition switch. I guess this is considered old school, but ---- what's the point of the button to start/stop? I think the thinking is that it's cool to start your car like a race car -- just push a button. But a race car doesn't need you to carry a key fob.

I like a key -- to start, put it in and turn; to stop, turn and pull it out. What's wrong with that? It works better.

Issues I've had:
  • trying to turn the ignition/radio/screen off -- with foot on brake. It just restarts. I continue to do this occasionally.
  • walking away from the car with the key left in the cup holder. I do this almost every day.
  • needing to "do a dance" to just turn off the car and ignition -- A) foot on brake, then push button (engine off) followed by B) foot off brake then push button again (ignition off). With a key, it's just "turn the key".
  • walking away thinking I've turned the car off, only to find that it's running when I return. I did this once going into a bank. Now I'm paranoid that I'll do it again.

I know one answer is --- but that's not getting to my point. I'll learn how to do the proper dance, it's just what's the point?
You're old aren't you?

I haven't had to use one of those "turn key" ignitions in over 7-8 years. The times I have to are annoying. If my hands are full I have to fish my keys out to unlock the door and pull them out again to start the car.

The point of having push button start is so you never have to take your keys out of your pocket. It's a convenience thing that you are over-complicating way too much. You wouldn't have half the issues you're having if you just use it as intended, don't take your keys out of your pocket. I mean, I don't understand why you'd put your keys in your cupholder...they don't ever need to leave your pocket.

Plus to turn the car off, you just press the button, that's it. You don't have to "do a dance". I learned all of this about 7 years ago in less than 5 minutes, never thought anyone would find this cumbersome or complicated...

To help you out, here are some tips, even though I've only spent about 30 minutes behind the wheel of a 335i with comfort access, since all push button starts operate pretty much the same I'm willing to bet all of these apply:

-To start engine: hold brake and press button
-To turn off engine: just press the button once, that's it, engine off. The ignition turns itself off once you get out of the car, this is also a convenience feature as if you forget to shut the moonroof or close any windows, you can still do so even though the engine is off.
-Want ACC on but engine off: Just press the start button with foot off the brake.
-Want ignition on but engine off: Just press the start button with foot off the brake twice (you can do this in rapid succession).

It's seriously easy, just keep your keys in your pocket.

Last edited by fecurtis; 01-29-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Wait a minute.

Travelbro.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Wait a minute.

Travelbro.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
robgutie328i
Private
Rep
Drives: Mel Red 2014 BMW 328i MSport

You could always code ur car to turn off everything with one push. Then put some 3M velcro on the steering column and some on the FOB and stick on when u start the car
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgutie328i
You could always code ur car to turn off everything with one push. Then put some 3M velcro on the steering column and some on the FOB and stick on when u start the car
Horse and carriage. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
... what's the point of the button to start/stop?...
It allows the ECU to stage some things - fuel pumps, mixture for cold starts, valve openings (Valvetronic), glow plugs for diesels, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I mean this in the least condescending way, but the stop/start button is extremely easy. If you are having difficulty with it, how did you type into your computer.
LOL +1
      01-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

the whole push button starter couldnt possibly be any easier.

to start: foot on brake, press button....done.
turn off: just press the button. you dont need your foot on brake.

you dont even need to press the button a second time. the car will turn off the radio as soon as you lock it

viola! done!
      01-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
It allows the ECU to stage some things - fuel pumps, mixture for cold starts, valve openings (Valvetronic), glow plugs for diesels, etc.
It's also helpful because telepathic communications with the driver are still a bit buggy. A button allows the car to CONFIRM the driver's intentions...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The F30 was the first car I owned with a button. A couple times early on I'd accidentally restart it because I had the clutch pushed it. But to never have to take the fob out of your pocket is awesome.
      01-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
swamy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MG/6MT

Quote:
[*]walking away from the car with the key left in the cup holder. I do this almost every day.[*]needing to "do a dance" to just turn off the car and ignition -- A) foot on brake, then push button (engine off) followed by B) foot off brake then push button again (ignition off). With a key, it's just "turn the key".
.... I'll learn how to do the proper dance, it's just what's the point?
Oh man we're old lol- I just turned 40! left my car on when I went in to the ATM recently & freaked out when I came back & realized what had happened!
And pushing in the clutch is way worse than the brake pedal (in the auto) when you're trying to get her started with slippery sandals on - esp if you're just trying start the machine & get out to clean etc so i am the only other old guy who gets it
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

My preference is the crank that you insert into a slot in the grille. But since that feature has been discontinued on most cars*, I find the button satisfactory. Tesla Model S takes it one step farther, turning the car on when you (with the fob on your person inside the car) step on the brake.

* There is probably a Renault or Citroen model still offering this.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

keys are lame.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamy View Post
Oh man we're old lol- I just turned 40! left my car on when I went in to the ATM recently & freaked out when I came back & realized what had happened!
And pushing in the clutch is way worse than the brake pedal (in the auto) when you're trying to get her started with slippery sandals on - esp if you're just trying start the machine & get out to clean etc so i am the only other old guy who gets it
You'd still have to push in the clutch with a key starter.
      01-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #22
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Let's add the crank starter back to vehicles. This is the best solution to the push button issue.
Appreciate 0