Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Engine Bay Layout

Coming from and E36M3 and E46M3, and never having owned an E9X or F3X, I have no experience with FI. Looking at the engine bay of the F8X, what is the plastic box on the 'cylinder' side, sort of behind the headlight, and the one on the 'intercooler' (driver's) side, sort of behind the headlight? I'm just used to the air intake being on the driver's side. Do FI engines have a second air filter?? Once again, I've only ever had NA engines, so please excuse the sillyness of the question. Thanks.

And why is there no dipstick?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

There hasn't been a dipstick on a BMW in years, unfortunately. Gotta trust the computer.

Looking at that picture, the box on the passenger side behind the headlight is one intake box, and the similar-looking box on the driver's side is the other. Each turbo gets its own intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Ok so see there is a Air to Water intercooler. What are going to be the possibility of larger front mount intercooler or is there no room?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

So how do the dealerships do oil changes? They use the actual drain plug and go old school? Figured most dealerships just sucked it out of the dip stick insert. My car didn't come with a dip-stick but you can buy one, remove a plastic cap and install it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
So how do the dealerships do oil changes? They use the actual drain plug and go old school? Figured most dealerships just sucked it out of the dip stick insert.
Please tell me this is an attempt at humor.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

Lmao!!^^^^ .... But seriously ?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNole2001 View Post
Dead serious...this is how they do it on my car. Upside is it prevents retards from stripping the drain plug by over torquing it.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Ok so see there is a Air to Water intercooler. What are going to be the possibility of larger front mount intercooler or is there no room?
A front-mount intercooler would not only be less efficient, and cause a bit more lag due to an increase in intake volume (causing a drop in pressure), but there likely isn't any room for the plumbing for it.

Quote:
Dead serious...this is how they do it on my car. Upside is it prevents retards from stripping the drain plug by over torquing it.

We do all oil changes normally, AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:

Is that for oil change or colonoscopy?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
BlackLight
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Question Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian View Post
A front-mount intercooler would not only be less efficient, and cause a bit more lag due to an increase in intake volume (causing a drop in pressure), but there likely isn't any room for the plumbing for it.
He meant for the water part, not cooling the intake air directly?
I believe there is a water to air cooler at the front already, but I do not know if it can be replaced with a bigger one.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
Lmao!!^^^^ .... But seriously ?
The described method is commonly used in boat engine applications since it's difficult to drain the oil below the sump... I also know that many garages prefer the oil pump method as that is a clean and easy way of changing oil. No need to dismantle protective shields and spill oil on the surrounding bodywork/cross members etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The described method is commonly used in boat engine applications since it's difficult to drain the oil below the sump... I also know that many garages prefer the oil pump method as that is a clean and easy way of changing oil. No need to dismantle protective shields and spill oil on the surrounding bodywork/cross members etc.
Learn something new every day
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, it sure is. I recently (about 1 yr ago) discovered this pump method, and it is the way I do it now for my cars (E36, E46 M's, wife's Merc C209). In many ways, much easier and cleaner. However, one down side is that I usually like to poke around when I'm under the car and inspect things, which I have to purposely make an effort to do otherwise now.

Sooooo, then, if you wanted to do a pump-type oil change, how would you do it for a car like this??

Also, thanks people for clarifying that the car has 2 air intakes, one on each side.

Love the straight six turbo. I see SOME, SLIGHT, MAYBE resemblance to the NA 6's in the E46 and E36
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

Quote:

You must have missed the last generation of BMW engines. The dipstick has been LONG GONE for a long time now for BMW.
I still use the pump for my Honda van, but the BMW's go on the RaceRamps now for oil changes.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #15
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Sooooo, then, if you wanted to do a pump-type oil change, how would you do it for a car like this??
Can't be done without a dipstick tube or something similar that would allow access to the sump. As the new engines doesn't have that, it can't be done...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You must have missed the last generation of BMW engines. The dipstick has been LONG GONE for a long time now for BMW.
I still use the pump for my Honda van, but the BMW's go on the RaceRamps now for oil changes.
I've never owned a BMW, currently have an Audi and am probably going F80. Figured they would still have the port if not the dipstick, giving people the choice to add one and check oil other than the MMI - which from my experience can be inaccurate.

Like I said above, changing via the port is easier and less chance that the 19 year old doing your oil change will strip the drain bolt and cause a leak. Bad because it probably doesn't get out all of the gunk the way a traditional change does.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #17
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Yeah, skipped the whole E9X generation. I test drove a 335i and was so underwhelmed. E46M3 was in a different league. To be fair, I briefly drove an E92 M3, which was very nice.

Quote:
Can't be done without a dipstick tube or something similar that would allow access to the sump. As the new engines doesn't have that, it can't be done...
I was afraid you'd say that... Really too bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
I believe there is a water to air cooler at the front already, but I do not know if it can be replaced with a bigger one.
I read it to mean switching to an air-air intercooler, but what you suggested is a realistic possibility.

Yes, there are water coolers behind the front bumper, and they're all ducted and seem to fit their respective areas nicely. Any water cooler you get would likely only be able to ne bigger in thickness, which would require trimming of the ducting. Doable though!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
I read it to mean switching to an air-air intercooler, but what you suggested is a realistic possibility.

Yes, there are water coolers behind the front bumper, and they're all ducted and seem to fit their respective areas nicely. Any water cooler you get would likely only be able to ne bigger in thickness, which would require trimming of the ducting. Doable though!
Isn't there a water to air before the manifold as well??
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
It is in Porsche's service manual for the Cayenne. Which is ONE of many ($$) that I do my own oil changes. The extraction method isn't going to get as much out of the sump as draining it manually.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Isn't there a water to air before the manifold as well??
Yes there is, that's what that big silver box is on top of the engine. Two pipes on the passenger side go in with hot air, one pipe comes out the driver side with cooler air and goes into the manifold.

It's a water-to-air system, so the water has to be circulated through radiator(s) so the air coming out of the turbos actually cools down before going into the engine.

Water cools the hot air coming out of the turbos, and ambient air cools the hot water coming out of that intercooler. That's how the systems in the M5 and M6 work.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #22
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I expect aftermarket vendors to offer CF intakes to replace the plastic ones. Big bucks there. But high scores for the bling factor. Now, I wonder if such a thing will actually help performance?

The lack of a dipstick is major fail for BMW. They forgot it in the E92 M3 and it looks like they forgot it in the new F8x M's too.

Cheers.