F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > DHP Working?
Studio RSR

02-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
ghostchili
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

DHP Working?

I have a MY14 335ix with DHP. From day one I find myself constantly switching between Sport (I have it set for chassis only) and comfort. I find myself asking Can I tell? I think sport is slightly stiffer/rougher but I'm not sure? Other times I think "Ok I can tell...I think". Now I have it lowered on H&R Xdrive Sport springs and it's pretty close to stock feel wise yet I still can't say that I can tell a real difference between Sport and Comfort.
It's been a brutal cold winter and I've never driven the car above freezing, does that matter? Currently I'm on stock 18's but come spring I'll be on 20's come spring, will it be more noticeable then?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
I have a MY14 335ix with DHP. From day one I find myself constantly switching between Sport (I have it set for chassis only) and comfort. I find myself asking Can I tell? I think sport is slightly stiffer/rougher but I'm not sure? Other times I think "Ok I can tell...I think". Now I have it lowered on H&R Xdrive Sport springs and it's pretty close to stock feel wise yet I still can't say that I can tell a real difference between Sport and Comfort.
It's been a brutal cold winter and I've never driven the car above freezing, does that matter? Currently I'm on stock 18's but come spring I'll be on 20's come spring, will it be more noticeable then?

I agree with you so far. I have about 500 miles now, and I set sport to chassis only, and I think I can tell a slight difference in the steering stiffness but not the suspension. Since I have only 500 miles haven't pushed it yet though.

I actually expected a noticeable difference between the settings.

I'm interested in what others think. On 397 18s with Nokians for winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
ghostchili
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

I just got mine broke in 1200 miles and I got on it today after putting in the jb4 last night. I think I noticed the dampers the faster I went 65+Mph but still it's subtle. I don't think I feel the steering change at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I have DHP on stock 18's and the difference between comfort and sport is noticeable on rough or changing pavement. In comfort mode, it feels, well, comfortable. In sport mode, the suspension tightens up. On a really rough country road with turns, the difference is dramatic.

Have you checked your tire pressure? Maybe its a little low and thereby masking the sport mode stiffness.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I just got mine broke in 1200 miles and I got on it today after putting in the jb4 last night. I think I noticed the dampers the faster I went 65+Mph but still it's subtle. I don't think I feel the steering change at all.
I do feel the difference. It was subtle until I changed my sport mode to chassis only.

Now, when I switch from comfort to sport mode, the steering feels noticeably stiffer. I'm sure it was the same as before, but when you don't add the dramatic difference of throttle response to the mix.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I agree when you set Sport mode to "Chassis Only" it's more difficult to tell the difference except on an uneven road (or maybe during competitive driving).. Now after installing H&R Sport Springs it's even harder to tell the difference for me, but I haven't had enough cockpit time to experiment further.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I hardly tell a difference in the steering. It may just be me getting use to electronic vs hydraulic
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

I'm usually like you guys and can't tell these things, but on the F30, it's very noticeable. For the steering. Try sitting at a light and turn the steering wheel left and right in comfort, then switch to sport and do it again, it becomes almost twice as heavy. And for the chassis only suspension stiffness, you'll notice it the most when you're going over bumps. I have a slightly bumpy freeway right near my house, and when I drive over in comfort, I feel the car rocking up and down like a boat. In sport, it tidies down the undulations much better. Still not as stiff as I'd like, but it makes a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:29 AM   #9
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Guys, remember that you have the xDrive with the standard non-sport springs. Changing to H&R springs doesnt equate to OEM Sport springs, instead you get an even lower ride with less difference between the modes. If you try out a OEM RWD DHP-equipped car you would feel the difference, itīs very noticeable unless you are Stephen Hawking...

But you should feel a difference in the steering, that one is perceptible. Maybe not as much if you have softer winter tires on now, the difference is felt less then...

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #10
russellsdad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive SPY

When I first drove my car with DHP, I could very distinctly feel the difference between comfort and sport. Now that I have driven the car for about 1K miles, I think the difference is still felt, but more subtle now that I got use to it. I definitely set to chassis only mode because I wanted the firmer steering and suspension, but did not want the faster shifting/throttle for everyday use. I can get that by shifting the AT to Sport mode anytime I want anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Just as an update to an almost dead thread. The reason why I couldn't tell any difference is because within 7 miles of driving my car I put on my winter setup which are very soft Nokian tires. Putting the stock run flats on show a very clear difference in the suspension feeling, as well as the steering.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

I can feel the difference between sport and comfort.

Been running my winters since i bought the car. Never used the OEM summer tires yet
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 03:53 AM   #13
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quite surprised at the replies.

The difference felt in steering weight and suspension firmness between comfort and sport is marked. Huge difference.

What I'm not sure about is whether the steering gets even heavier from sport to sport plus. Sometimes I think it does but not entirely sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:35 AM   #14
Serybmw
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive PPK

I do feel the difference between sport and comfort. The car in comfort is so bouncy that i switch to sport just after starting the engine

i have another question: is there any difference in shocks and steering between sport and sport+? As far is i understood there should not be any, but yesterday i tried both modes (i have actually never used sport+ before as i saw no point in it) and it seemed the shocks worked slightly different in sport+. A little stiffer and producing less noise on bumps. Also it seemed the steering wheel got a bit stiffer. But the difference was so light that it can be explained by "placebo" effect what do you think? Could you also try both modes and tell your opinion if there is any difference in handling?
Appreciate 0