F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Bad luck with runflats!
Extreme Powerhouse

03-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
cjodell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Bad luck with runflats!

Love my GT but had to take it in today to fix a flat tire from a small nail that I thought could be plugged or patched easily. I never thought I need a new tire at 6K miles, but I came home a $392 new 18" Continental tire. The BMW dealer said "tough luck" - guess the warranty covers everything but the tires. This could get expensive since we live in a area with a lot on new construction. Guess I long for the days when cars had full sized
spare tires. Does anyone have a good runflat story to make me feel better?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
netsurfr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Monte Carlo Blue

Garage List
Yup. Run flats can't be repaired so it can get pricey. I have an X5M and have had 2 punctured RFT but I opted for the tire/wheel warranty package given what I learned about RFT and those 2 replacements paid for the cost of the warranty given the tires the X5M takes. It sucks but no other option w/ new BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjodell View Post
Love my GT but had to take it in today to fix a flat tire from a small nail that I thought could be plugged or patched easily. I never thought I need a new tire at 6K miles, but I came home a $392 new 18" Continental tire. The BMW dealer said "tough luck" - guess the warranty covers everything but the tires. This could get expensive since we live in a area with a lot on new construction. Guess I long for the days when cars had full sized
spare tires. Does anyone have a good runflat story to make me feel better?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
BMWFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xit

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
Yup. Run flats can't be repaired so it can get pricey. I have an X5M and have had 2 punctured RFT but I opted for the tire/wheel warranty package given what I learned about RFT and those 2 replacements paid for the cost of the warranty given the tires the X5M takes. It sucks but no other option w/ new BMWs
Run flats can be repaired... Did it 2x for nails on my e91. Dealers don't want to do it but independent shops will absolutely do it. No issue.

FM
F34 335i xDrive, M Sport, Alpine White, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Driver Assistance, Premium, Active Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Side and Top View Cameras, European Delivery, Debadged
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
netsurfr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M Monte Carlo Blue

Garage List
Good to know. In my case it was a non BMW shop who found the nail when changing over from summer to winter wheels and they said RFT can't be repaired. I then took it to dealer for a new tire under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Got my run flat repair for $20.. They can be fixed just not at the dealership, next time just drive slow and keep refilling it until you get a chance to stop at a tire shop and make sure they put a patch, always better than a plug
      03-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Unless you have the warranty then of course why not a new one
      03-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Ive gotten 2 run flats repaired on one car and 1 on another car. BMW wont touch them. But as a poster above said an independent shop will as long as its not the side wall. My recommendation take the run flats off and buy a set of good tires. I did that on my last car. Ride was much better and didn't have to worry about those run flats getting messed up. Once the lease was up I put the tires back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

Just to let you guys know you can repair a runflat just like a regular tire if the nail is in the center of the tread. Only use a patch and DO NOT REPAIR if you drove on the tire with no air as the internal parts of the tire can be damaged, and not visable. Also I am sure nobody will tell you this but if your runflat is a Pirelli, it comes with a one year, or 2/32 worn off road hazard warranty from Perilli for a free replacement. This is good on replacement or Original Equipment tires. After one year or 2/32 worn off the tire is prorated. You pay for mounting and balancing no matter what. How many people have paid for tires when is was covered by the manufacturer?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
cjodell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Good to know the Pirellis have a warranty, anyone know if the Continentals would have a warranty?

I have the flat tire and it looks like it could be repaired - very thin nail (smaller than a roofing nail). The tire place said it was too close to the wall but it is between the 1st and second tread after the wall has made the turn. It's a very clean puncture that appears easily fixed by a plug - why would a patch be better in this case? There is no visible damage to the tire - inside or out and I would keep it as a spare. The tire pressure indicator on the dash never lit up and I only noticed the flat in my garage - so I don't think I could have done much driving when it was truly flat.

I'm glad to have the tire replaced as I have a 2000k trip this week, but feel runflats have more negative features than standard tires and are ridiculously expensive just to save the space of a spare. I also would have hoped that BMW might have guaranteed the tires (or fixed them) for the 1st year of use. I just use my GT on paved roads. I certainly wouldn't want runflats on an offroad SUV!
Appreciate 0