Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
i3 Aero Shape

Any idea why BMW didn't make the i3 as aerodynamic as possible? You'd think you'd get a few more miles by having the lowest Cd.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

It's complicated. The rumor is that BMW was courting BMW legislators for years trying the get HOV stickers for the rEx version of the car and had to make a number of deals. Apparently, this went all the way back to the Arnold days, when the i3 only existed in the designer's mind's eye. Anyway, Arnold wanted something he could identify with, etc....and well, next thing you know...Johnny cab:

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I do not know if I ever saw a posted Cd for the i3. But, consider that being designed for primarily city use, long distance high speed isn't really a mainstay for the vehicle - most city speed limits aren't that high, and for the vehicle to be a reasonable choice, you can't have a very long high-speed commute getting there. Drag does go up at the square of the velocity, so it only becomes a major factor when traveling on the highway, not so much around town.

The tall, narrow tires and smooth, somewhat teardrop shape may have better Cd than you think.

Anyone seen a listed Cd for the thing? I found it, it's listed as .29, which isn't bad.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 03-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: found Cd
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
It's complicated. The rumor is that BMW was courting BMW legislators for years trying the get HOV stickers for the rEx version of the car and had to make a number of deals. Apparently, this went all the way back to the Arnold days, when the i3 only existed in the designer's mind's eye. Anyway, Arnold wanted something he could identify with, etc....and well, next thing you know...Johnny cab:

I know that's the rumors, but in reality it isn't the case. What BMW really wanted to achieve was to be the first car to get the BEVx designation, and they did. They never believed they would get a white sticker for the i3 since is has tailpipe as well as evaporative emissions. It has a gasoline engine onboard - no car with a gasoline engine qualifies for the white HOV sticker. They will of course take it if somehow CARB were to decide to give it, but they aren't expecting it and never really were.