F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Retrofit sports suspension
GetBMWParts

03-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Imperial Blue

Retrofit sports suspension

Anybody with a base/luxury/modern that has put in sports suspension? Worth it? Over priced?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

If you're doing suspension without wanting adjustable coilovers, you might as well just get the spring/damper combo from AC-schnitzer or Bilstein B12 pro-kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I was hoping to stick with bmw parts is all, dont wanna mess with the warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

the big ticket change is the anti-roll bars. The parts are about $350 but expect 4-5 hours of shop time.

As for the sport suspension springs and shocks, they come up from time to time in the classified for around $500-700 range.

buying new m sport suspension from the dealer is really cost prohibitive. You might as well spend the same or not much more money at this point on the M-performance kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

Why care about warranty on suspension parts? Springs and dampers won't "go bad" and no ones going to deny you a claim to fix your iDrive if you have coilovers. That makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal
the big ticket change is the anti-roll bars. The parts are about $350 but expect 4-5 hours of shop time.

As for the sport suspension springs and shocks, they come up from time to time in the classified for around $500-700 range.

buying new m sport suspension from the dealer is really cost prohibitive. You might as well spend the same or not much more money at this point on the M-performance kit.
Would m sport anti roll bars eliminate or lessen the body roll of my modern line? Thats the main goal
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i
Why care about warranty on suspension parts? Springs and dampers won't "go bad" and no ones going to deny you a claim to fix your iDrive if you have coilovers. That makes no sense.
Very true but i would still like bmw parts for the fact that ive heard you completely sacrifice comfort
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Tothepoint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantF30
Anybody with a base/luxury/modern that has put in sports suspension? Worth it? Over priced?
I installed the m sport suspension on my modern line. It definitely handles better then previously. I'm not getting the m sport roll bar its not going to make much diff so I'm waiting for a better aftermarket version.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBMR
Quote:
I installed the m sport suspension on my modern line. It definitely handles better then previously. I'm not getting the m sport roll bar its not going to make much diff so I'm waiting for a better aftermarket version.
Did it cost you a pretty penny or was it reasonable? Still comfortable to ride in?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
Tothepoint
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did it cost you a pretty penny or was it reasonable? Still comfortable to ride in?
I got it for 300 shipped off a member on the forum. Ride is a little firmer but not much diff.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I got it for 300 shipped off a member on the forum. Ride is a little firmer but not much diff.
Did you get the dealer to instal or diy? Thanks for the help, if i can find it for that price its a go
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
Tothepoint
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you get the dealer to instal or diy? Thanks for the help, if i can find it for that price its a go
I found a local bmw guy to do the install. DIY or find someone local is prob your best bet. The dealerships and perf shops were outrageous here on the east coast.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 03:12 AM   #13
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

another option is the M-performance suspension, if you want it to be all OEM
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantF30 View Post
Very true but i would still like bmw parts for the fact that ive heard you completely sacrifice comfort
I have extended warranty. I asked the dealer before buying coilovers and they said everything is still covered, except springs/dampers. -Which makes sense.
Go ahead and get it right from the beginning
/Krelle
Appreciate 0