F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Adaptive Lights Leveling Failed
proTUNING Freaks

03-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Garage List
Adaptive Lights Leveling Failed

2014 328d we opted for the lighting package.

First BMW for us and easily has the record for the fastest malfunction/failure of any new or used car ive purchased.

Headlights come on drop down to the lowest aim and stay there effectively giving the driver about 20' of visibility at night.

Also the computer system reboots randomly, usually in the middle of a critical Nav Guidance (or at least that's when it's most frustrating)

Car has just over 3500 miles on it...

Kinda wishing we had purchased a Mazda...they have been bullet proof for me, even my rotary powered ones...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
2014 328d we opted for the lighting package.

First BMW for us and easily has the record for the fastest malfunction/failure of any new or used car ive purchased.

Headlights come on drop down to the lowest aim and stay there effectively giving the driver about 20' of visibility at night.

Also the computer system reboots randomly, usually in the middle of a critical Nav Guidance (or at least that's when it's most frustrating)

Car has just over 3500 miles on it...

Kinda wishing we had purchased a Mazda...they have been bullet proof for me, even my rotary powered ones...
Soooo was there a malfunction orrrrrrrr do you just need to get the lights balanced and raised? Kind of a bad thread considering there are a million light threads and in another section entirely: "Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior)"
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I didn't modify anything...so why would it go in the "Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior)"?

I did search the forum, and also called the dealers to ask if there was some reset process. They sounded like I was speaking another language. And said to just bring it in...

If you arent aware (or didn't search) the adaptive system is supposed to auto balance and raise itself based on ride height sensors (info from my search). Which it had done every time we started the car till it failed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
I didn't modify anything...so why would it go in the "Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior)"?

I did search the forum, and also called the dealers to ask if there was some reset process. They sounded like I was speaking another language. And said to just bring it in...

If you arent aware (or didn't search) the adaptive system is supposed to auto balance and raise. Which it had done every time we started the car till it failed.
There was a long thread on this a few weeks ago. In this section.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...hts+point+down

I think that is the thread you are referring to.

The title did not lead me to believe i was the same issue when i originally searched.

Appears likely that it is a bolt failure?!

My question (being a mechanical engineer) bolt stress/load analysis is like ME 101. Who undersizes or selects a bolt building a kid's trike these days, much less one that mounts a sensor which is integral to a primary safety system on a luxury car?!!?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...hts+point+down

I think that is the thread you are referring to.

The title did not lead me to believe i was the same issue when i originally searched.

Appears likely that it is a bolt failure?!

My question (being a mechanical engineer) bolt stress/load analysis is like ME 101. Who undersizes or selects a bolt building a kid's trike these days, much less one that mounts a sensor which is integral to a primary safety system on a luxury car?!!?
Perhaps Mazda makes a better bolt?
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have yet to have a bolt fail on any of them...since 1994...the oldest being a 1989...which is a racecar. Sample size is probably only 6 cars total tho...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

I had the bolt break on my leveling system twice since receiving my 435. Once at 1k and the other at 3k miles. Also stated one time all they had to do is reset the system and it was good to go. Rather annoying as there weekend availability for service is hard to get in quickly usually with a 3 week wait. I usually have to take a personal day from work
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Just take it in. It could be a programming error on the car where they will need to reset the entire system. Of course, it could also just be a physical problem.

Only BMW would know.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Maybe it's just me, but anytime I have a BMW under warranty (and even when I don't sometimes), I take it to the dealer when something's not working correctly. Why would anyone try to self-diagnose a malfunction? That, and the fact that these kinds of failures are fairly rare, but as with ANY brand (including Mazda), they happen every so often. Take it to the dealership and demand (in a nice way) that they fix the problem; if they can't, try another dealer, and failing that, contact BMW NA Customer Service.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Confirmed Broken bolt, LR ride height sensor associated with the Adaptive Headlights. I fully expect this will happen again.

It would seem to me we have the makings of a recall here being the headlights are arguably a safety system. I've now seen 6 people in two threads with the same issue.

If you would, anyone experiencing this please file a complaint with safercar.gov

To the above post, my question is usually why someone would NOT want to know what is going on and going wrong with their car, warranty or no. I certainly want to know why my wife is having to drive to work at 6am in the dark with headlights that when on low beam only allow her to see 20ft in front of a brand new car ($50k car no less). The fact that people don't have a handle on the mechanical condition and potential design flaws of the 3000+ lb ground torpedo they get inside of everyday is part of why the roads are such a hazard.

I still like the car. I buy drivers' cars and this 3-series certainly meets that description. But, i just hope BMW will quickly recognize this issue and come up with a redesign for these ride height sensors.

The dealer said the idrive/nav rebooting was due to a weak battery. This car sat on the dealer lot for some time and they did not properly maintenance charge the battery. We will see if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Amrinder
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Hi, i have a question. I brought my 335i to the bmw dealership to get my rear right brakelight replaced. Its under warranty and they made us aware of my headloght leveling problem. They pointed out the same problem, with the bolt breaking. They told us they wont cover it under warranty because it was our fault and tbat we had hit the car somewhere, which isnt true because i drive the car alone and i havent hit it anywhere. So i wanna know if anyone else was told this or if it was covered under warranty? Also how much did it cost to get repaired? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrinder View Post
Hi, i have a question. I brought my 335i to the bmw dealership to get my rear right brakelight replaced. Its under warranty and they made us aware of my headloght leveling problem. They pointed out the same problem, with the bolt breaking. They told us they wont cover it under warranty because it was our fault and tbat we had hit the car somewhere, which isnt true because i drive the car alone and i havent hit it anywhere. So i wanna know if anyone else was told this or if it was covered under warranty? Also how much did it cost to get repaired? Thanks.
Most definitely be covered under warranty unless there was physical damage to that side of the car. It's a simple fix, my dealership foxed mine under warranty on 30 minutes
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
Amrinder
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Most definitely be covered under warranty unless there was physical damage to that side of the car. It's a simple fix, my dealership foxed mine under warranty on 30 minutes
Thanks for the reply. Theres no damage at all, as i mentioned i havent hit it anywhere. The dealer charged me 136+tax for the part and labour. Ill have to see what happens i suppose, i talked to them and theyre not willing to cover it. Tell me to contact bmw canada.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
ghostchili
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

Quote:
Confirmed Broken bolt, LR ride height sensor associated with the Adaptive Headlights. I fully expect this will happen again.

It would seem to me we have the makings of a recall here being the headlights are arguably a safety system. I've now seen 6 people in two threads with the same issue.

If you would, anyone experiencing this please file a complaint with safercar.gov

To the above post, my question is usually why someone would NOT want to know what is going on and going wrong with their car, warranty or no. I certainly want to know why my wife is having to drive to work at 6am in the dark with headlights that when on low beam only allow her to see 20ft in front of a brand new car ($50k car no less). The fact that people don't have a handle on the mechanical condition and potential design flaws of the 3000+ lb ground torpedo they get inside of everyday is part of why the roads are such a hazard.

I still like the car. I buy drivers' cars and this 3-series certainly meets that description. But, i just hope BMW will quickly recognize this issue and come up with a redesign for these ride height sensors.

The dealer said the idrive/nav rebooting was due to a weak battery. This car sat on the dealer lot for some time and they did not properly maintenance charge the battery. We will see if that's the case.
Happened to me with 600 miles on my MY14, same bolt as you. What sucked was they couldn't get me in for almost 2 week since I needed a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Absolutely it should be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
Happened to me with 600 miles on my MY14, same bolt as you. What sucked was they couldn't get me in for almost 2 week since I needed a loaner.
Same thing happened to me. Dealership said they couldn't get me in for 2 weeks. I made them pay for my loaner and they agreed after a few back and forths.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rm-wrap-review

Happened to the C&D long term test mule as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Will keep an eye on mine. It's cool they self level..but anytime you automate/mechanize something..you're giving it a higher chance of failing at some point....
      07-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #20
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

wow how this thread really changed in dynamic real quick. We bimmer owners can be very negative at times.

On the other side of the coin, It will either be a sensor failure or a headlight leveling failure. Sometimes i have seen coding fix the issue but generally it is a part that has to be replaced.

In my Z4 the sensors were made so (i dare say it) badly that they would actually flip over if the vehicle hit an extreme bump and thus cause you to have light just a few feet in front of you. either way your dealer can diagnose and fix the issue.
      07-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #21
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

7k on mine and no issues with the lights.

Quote:

I think the point was that the best way to KNOW is to take it to the dealer...........NOT to continue driving a car that is so "unsafe" and not expecting anonymous names on an internet forum to diagnosis your car remotely. LOL

Especially when it is brand new and under warranty. Your wife never should have driven the car to work with the malfunction, you SHOULD have driven it to the dealer and requested a loaner and been on your way. If they refused a loaner my next call would have been to my salesperson who I promise you would have advised service of what they needed to do.

I think the people checking facebook while driving are infinitely more dangerous to our roads than not knowing that a small bolt could fail on a headlight. That and those deliberately driving unsafe cars when there is no reason to be doing so. I check for leaks, tire pressure and appearance, and light function regularly........should I just not drive my car because that bolt MIGHT fail? LOL

Tell you what, if it does my wife won't be driving to work in the dark with it......it will be at the dealer getting fixed.

Just sayin
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #22
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Easy on the assumptions cowboy. She only had to drive into work once in the dark with the system failed. At that point she didn't have a choice. It was highbeams, or call in sick. We promptly took it to the dealer after that. I just found it a little silly that a simple bolt failed...and when you spend new BMW money on a car. I guess my other (and maybe my main) beef is the fact there is no fail safe mode/option to put it in mid-position automatically or manually. It fails and automatically goes into "Truffle-Hunting Mode" to quote C&D. Imagine driving across nebraska or montana in the middle of the night and the system fails. Not a lot of BMW dealerships in your vicinity...a manual dial would make the car quite safe until you got to a dealership.

So far my M4 has had zero issues so it's balanced out...though if you asked my wife she might not feel the same She's had a hand full of issues.

Last edited by Rocklobster; 07-22-2015 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0