F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Anyone blowing smoke?
proTUNING Freaks

03-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Question Anyone blowing smoke?

So, I've been doing primarily in-town driving lately, but every now and then I get the opportunity to push into sport mode and launch it up to 60 when I hit the SR. I'd say I get the chance about every other week, so approximately 200-300 miles between opportunities. The last couple of times I've done this, I've seen what looks like smoke behind me for the first 20-30 feet. Is this normal for anyone else? I wouldn't say I drive my car hard, and it only has about 27,000 miles on it. I haven't noticed any funny smells from my car, and no other evidence that anything is wrong. I should add that this is the first time that I've ever put this many consecutive in-town miles on the car, so I'm wondering if it's getting some kind of build up from the mild stoplight driving that is blowing off when I open it up.

I'm just looking for peer input before I go harassing my service rep about it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Normal. Called the Italian Tune Up in some parts of the world!

I notice this on occasion too, I think it's just some carbon being burnt off.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Thanks! I was leaning towards that conclusion myself, I just didn't want to be cavalier if there actually was a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
jelecroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2014 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have not seen this on my 328, but based on recent experience with my son's A6 I have a theory. We had to disconnect the intercoolers on the A6 to get access to change the timing belt. A couple ounces of oil drained out of each side mount intercooler.
My guess is normal flow rates the 328 intercooler may trap some condensed oil from crankcase ventilation. When you run up the RPM at WFO, the increased air flow through the intercooler may pick up some of the trapped oil and carry it into the intake. That oil will burn in the engine, leaving a momentary smoke cloud in the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
Wilko35D
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335D F30

I've got bad smoke problem

Strangest thing happened yesterday...
Drove to work today, smoke belching out the back even more so when I can to a stop, got less as I completed my 10 mile drive to work...

Finished work no smoke!!!
Only when I put my foot down a bit!!!

Enough oil in, no faults, drives the same, no weird noises...
Can this be because my service was due 2000k ago??

Went out again yesterday, I started normal driving with no smoke at all until i was at about 90deg temp, I then put my foot down, got smoke, it stunk, eased off and drove 65mph for about 7 miles on dual carriageway, then I turned round to head back, I put my foot down hard power picked up straight away and zero smoke, it's was driving with no smoke at all!!???
Then today I've drove for about a total of 2 hours today on motorway and urban roads and not one bit of smoke then all of a sudden it starts again just before...
Just turned ignition on after leaving it 3 hours.... zero smoke during tickover unlike earlier... gggrrr

Power is fine no loss of power no warnings no noises different!!!
At a loss what it is.... any guidance of past experiences welcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko35D View Post
Strangest thing happened yesterday...
Drove to work today, smoke belching out the back even more so when I can to a stop, got less as I completed my 10 mile drive to work...

Finished work no smoke!!!
Only when I put my foot down a bit!!!

Enough oil in, no faults, drives the same, no weird noises...
Can this be because my service was due 2000k ago??

Went out again yesterday, I started normal driving with no smoke at all until i was at about 90deg temp, I then put my foot down, got smoke, it stunk, eased off and drove 65mph for about 7 miles on dual carriageway, then I turned round to head back, I put my foot down hard power picked up straight away and zero smoke, it's was driving with no smoke at all!!???
Then today I've drove for about a total of 2 hours today on motorway and urban roads and not one bit of smoke then all of a sudden it starts again just before...
Just turned ignition on after leaving it 3 hours.... zero smoke during tickover unlike earlier... gggrrr

Power is fine no loss of power no warnings no noises different!!!
At a loss what it is.... any guidance of past experiences welcome.
While i've never had a diesel, the one piece of advice I can give is to get the maintenance done and see what happens.
Appreciate 0