GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Did a quick search and did not see any comparison between these vehicles.

Has anybody driven an S6 lately?

Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Did a quick search and did not see any comparison between these vehicles.

Has anybody driven an S6 lately?

Dave

I tried to like the S5 and the S6, I needed the car straight away. All they did for me was to make me feel like 58 years old engineer, who finally is going trough the divorce he's been dreaming about the last 20 years.

Audis are wonderful cars. they even look good in the eyes of many, but personally I can't get out of mine fast enough. While driving I always imagine a tiny and not well fed German engineer living under the hood. It didn't matter which one of them I drove, it was always the same. The quattro ruins the fun for me, and the salesman will tell you that it will transfer 85% of the power to the rear wheels most of the time, and then you can count in your head all the times you've driven a awd and felt alive.

That comes about a minute before they tell you that awd is safer also.

And for the love of god, don't look at a mirror while listening their sales pitches. You'll age in front of your own eyes. I had a peace of glass in front of me, and I swear I saw my mother. Scary shit.
Appreciate 3
      03-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

I have not driven a S6, from my understanding they are supposed to be plenty quick in a straight line. Audi in general does nothing for me. Their cars have no emotion on the outside and boring on the inside. I really do not understand why everyone says their interior is best in the business. Nothing special.

Don't even get me started about the customer service and their sales staff. I have never been to a dealership which is so rude and people there are all arrogant. My friend was thinking of buying a Q5 TDI for his wife and the first thing he was asked by the sales rep was how much can you afford? WTF? What kind of question is that? And really thats non of his business. He walked out an went straight to the Mercedes dealer and got a GLK diesel.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
David 12
Major
Rep

Thanks guys, I concur with your thoughts about the S6. Seemed kind of bland. I am sure it is a fine car but you sure could not tell by the conservative styling.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Just today in a parking lot I thought I was looking at A6 but it turned out to be A4. And people say BMW all look the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I tried to like the S5 and the S6, I needed the car straight away. All they did for me was to make me feel like 58 years old engineer, who finally is going trough the divorce he's been dreaming about the last 20 years.

Audis are wonderful cars. they even look good in the eyes of many, but personally I can't get out of mine fast enough. While driving I always imagine a tiny and not well fed German engineer living under the hood. It didn't matter which one of them I drove, it was always the same. The quattro ruins the fun for me, and the salesman will tell you that it will transfer 85% of the power to the rear wheels most of the time, and then you can count in your head all the times you've driven a awd and felt alive.

That comes about a minute before they tell you that awd is safer also.

And for the love of god, don't look at a mirror while listening their sales pitches. You'll age in front of your own eyes. I had a peace of glass in front of me, and I swear I saw my mother. Scary shit.
Thank you. This was the funniest thing I've read all day.
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy View Post
Thank you. This was the funniest thing I've read all day.
Please do not sue me if your abdominal muscles are sore in the morning, my brother is a lawyer and I rather not speak to him till the family Christmas party. He drives an audi, let's put it that way.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

Why are we comparing the S6 with the M3? That's like comparing the M3 with the E63 AMG.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
drewdogg808
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 2020 X5

I'm also considering the s6 versus m3. I need 4 doors for occasional dropping off kids and these 2 are in the same price point (~80K). I love how my current e92 handles, but realistically, this is my daily and I don't track. So a comfortable cruiser with some extra power on tap is my consideration. My lease ends next spring and if it was already an lci m3, it would be a no brainer to get it, but since it's the first year model, its a tougher decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdogg808 View Post
I'm also considering the s6 versus m3. I need 4 doors for occasional dropping off kids and these 2 are in the same price point (~80K). I love how my current e92 handles, but realistically, this is my daily and I don't track. So a comfortable cruiser with some extra power on tap is my consideration. My lease ends next spring and if it was already an lci m3, it would be a no brainer to get it, but since it's the first year model, its a tougher decision.
Even I don't love my kids enough not to make them go to a coupe if necessary. I tried explaining how it feels like to be in an audi. Again, they do have advantages, but go to the dealer, and ask him about them, and you soon find your self willing to make the kids walk to school.

Audis do have power, the delivery just kills the fun. Do your self a favor, and stay on the dark side for just an other lease, then consider giving up again.

I may have to start censuring, if the hubby finds out about this forum, I'm way too direct here.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
David 12
Major
Rep

The other problem with the S6 is that they do not lease well, at least according to the local Audi salesperson. I prefer to lease which may swing the decision toward the M3.

I suppose that if you lived in a northern city it may support the argument of needing awd.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #12
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
The other problem with the S6 is that they do not lease well, at least according to the local Audi salesperson. I prefer to lease which may swing the decision toward the M3.

I suppose that if you lived in a northern city it may support the argument of needing awd.

Dave
I'm from a country where snow and darkness is the common condition, not the exception. Just use the over steer to soften the blows, and your okay to go. Awd is great in a real storm, but then you will need also ground clearance, and winter tires. Last winter there was one (1) day of snow here, and it was a blast! I will never forget the men in sports cars outside of our house, stuck in the horrible pile of snow (1 inch, or as we say, 2,5 cm), their big problem was that they couldn't take their led foot of the brake.

I spent 30 minutes trying to tell a guy that stopping here would mean that engineers were wrong all along, and the laws of physics do not apply in a car at all. He didn't get it, and finally, after making everyone miserable, he let me drove his car out of that horrible place.

Rwd works differently, but it's just a matter of sliding in the worst case scenario anyway, and then rwd at least makes it helluva lot more fun! awd is not a miracle cure for weather, if it was, I would have my Cali tan already!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
overdose
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I'm from a country where snow and darkness is the common condition, not the exception. Just use the over steer to soften the blows, and your okay to go. Awd is great in a real storm, but then you will need also ground clearance, and winter tires. Last winter there was one (1) day of snow here, and it was a blast! I will never forget the men in sports cars outside of our house, stuck in the horrible pile of snow (1 inch, or as we say, 2,5 cm), their big problem was that they couldn't take their led foot of the brake.

I spent 30 minutes trying to tell a guy that stopping here would mean that engineers were wrong all along, and the laws of physics do not apply in a car at all. He didn't get it, and finally, after making everyone miserable, he let me drove his car out of that horrible place.

Rwd works differently, but it's just a matter of sliding in the worst case scenario anyway, and then rwd at least makes it helluva lot more fun! awd is not a miracle cure for weather, if it was, I would have my Cali tan already!
Just read your last few posts on this thread and LMAO - who are you and where did you come from?!?!

Also, the S6 is stupid fast but that's about it. The exterior and interior don't do it for me either but that's my personal preference.
      04-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Just read your last few posts on this thread and LMAO - who are you and where did you come from?!?!

Also, the S6 is stupid fast but that's about it. The exterior and interior don't do it for me either but that's my personal preference.
I'm a complete bitch most of the time, or so I want to see myself, I do have a problem with helping others, as long as I can make fun of them at the same time. It's my daily exercise, helps me with the whole not turning in to an Audi buyer thing.

Do not judge all Finns because of me, the more normal ones are a different breed.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Why would you consider the S6 but not the 550i? With a BMS tune you got 460whp which is about as much power as an APR tuned S6 with exact same 1/4 mile trap speed of 118mph, S6 edges out 550i in time by 3 tenths. 11.6 vs 11.9
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #16
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Why would you consider the S6 but not the 550i? With a BMS tune you got 460whp which is about as much power as an APR tuned S6 with exact same 1/4 mile trap speed of 118mph, S6 edges out 550i in time by 3 tenths. 11.6 vs 11.9
We already saved the day, he will stay in the dark side.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
zstoja
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
I have not driven a S6, from my understanding they are supposed to be plenty quick in a straight line. Audi in general does nothing for me. Their cars have no emotion on the outside and boring on the inside. I really do not understand why everyone says their interior is best in the business. Nothing special.

Don't even get me started about the customer service and their sales staff. I have never been to a dealership which is so rude and people there are all arrogant. My friend was thinking of buying a Q5 TDI for his wife and the first thing he was asked by the sales rep was how much can you afford? WTF? What kind of question is that? And really thats non of his business. He walked out an went straight to the Mercedes dealer and got a GLK diesel.
Very interesting.

I cannot live with Mercedes. I tested S550. Everything is fine except I cannot live with interior and exterior beauty . So boring that I do not have any willing to drive the car. Only curved lines inside and outside car. I am not 150 years old just 50. Mercedes philosophy of beauty destroys me. I tested A8, not bad. I tested 750, again fine. There is no car that I do not like some or all interior or exterior design, only Mercedes has everything ugly for me.

At the end, because I want V8 engine, BMW is out of my choice due to: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=12
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #18
ta1on
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 2015 mineral white

M3 kills the S6, its wrong comparison. S6 is at best "Luxury, Business" car with more power.

The M3 is faster, drive better since its truly sport car. Personally i don't like Audi, the RS5 is a nice car but i would stick to the M without even thinking about looking at Audi.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #19
CreoUCLA
Bruin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S6 → 2016 M3

Having owned an S6 and moving into an M3, both are vastly different cars.

If you're looking for a fast/luxurious sedan, AWD, good tech, and more interior room the S6 is a good choice. It is very comfortable for daily driving (with the air suspension), and I can set the Automatic Cruise Control and Lane Assist on the freeway and pretty much zone out. But it is a heavy car and drives that way (definitely lacking in driver engagement/fun, from my perspective).

I'll probably miss the air suspension and it's ability to raise the car when entering steep driveways (I'm lowered with the H&R ETS), as well as the APR 100 octane map with 593 ft-lbs. to all four wheels, but I am looking forward to a more nimble/tossable car. Other reasons for the switch are that my commute to the office is only 1.3 miles each way (so I don't need something that comfortable), and we have an SUV for road trips/trips to the snow.

The best advice is to test drive both, and see which (or any other car) matches your driving style/needs best.
      06-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #20
frcotting
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

I test drove a 2016 S6 recently. It's a great car, but very big and heavy. Even though it's very fast and capable on the road you can definitely feel its size. (To be fair though, I felt the same way about my M5). I'm looking forward to my M4.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Had a current S6 during the previous weekend. I am thinking between an S6 and an F80 as a replacement to the S4 (F80 was not avail when I needed to buy a car).

S6 is definitely the best car in it's segment (vs. 550 and E550). Great luxury, you can raise the car with a button, nice interior space / material, very fast and the best AWD in the business (with the rear active diff). The car actually handled and felt better than it's competitors. The car is much better than an M-Sport 550X that I test drove for a couple of days before I bought the S4. The M-Sport 550 was very boat like, and the X-drive dynamics really kill the car with a ton of understeer.

I've always been a RWD BMW guy, but the sport diff on an Audi AWD will greatly neutralize the turning characteristics and induce some throttle oversteer.

When it comes down to it, I was disappointed that I didn't like the S6 more, as it would have been perfect to love it while benefiting from all it's space, luxury and practicality (two small kids).

Why was I disappointed? It didn't make my blood pressure rise and palms start to sweat when getting on it (like my former M3). Still felt disconnected, quiet and too floaty for me, where I started to miss my S4, being a bit more raw and connected.

The lack of excitement when driving the S6 has really steered me towards an F80. I just have to try a C63S now for a final comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #22
CreoUCLA
Bruin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S6 → 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Still felt disconnected, quiet and too floaty for me, where I started to miss my S4, being a bit more raw and connected.
After living with the S6 for 1.5 years (and having a 2011 S4 previously), I too found that the S4 was more enjoyable to drive. The size/weight just isn't a good fit for me and my driving style.