F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > REVIEW: M Performance Suspension on 2012 335i
proTUNING Freaks

03-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

REVIEW: M Performance Suspension on 2012 335i

So I made the $$$ purchase and went for the M Performance Suspension. Mind you, this is my second suspension setup on this car. I initially went from stock (msport suspension) > Dinan springs only > MPS. My car does not have DHP (dynamic handling package) for your information.

Previous Setup (Dinan springs):

My previous setup, prior to installing the MPS was just Dinan springs, with updated bump stops. I thought it was a good setup, though I still felt the front end of the car to be quite soft. I can now say that it was the springs from my perspective that made it feel soft. Over time with this setup, I feel that the Dinan Springs may be better suited to cars equipped with DHP. So, to that note, I ended up just paying the premium and going for the MPS setup. I didn't want to do coilovers because I feel I don't need that adjustability and preferred a set it and forget it setup. Plus with the MPS, its fully covered by BMW's warranty, so no issues there.

Install:

Install was straightforward, took the shop about 3 hours or so. The rears were pretty quick, simply because of the independent suspension. The fronts took a little longer.

Impressions:

I just got the setup installed last Saturday, so have only had it for a few days now. I am planning on getting an alignment this Saturday. My first thought as I drove off after the install was that OK.... this is definitely stiffer than my previous setup. I drove from San Jose to Pacific Grove (about 60 miles or so) via 880 South > 17 > 1. I was very impressed with how the car handled bumps, potholes, dips, etc on the way there. I know for sure my previous setup would have rubbed. On the way to PG, I did not rub at all or bottom out. The suspension is completely dialed in and is composed. It was comfortable when the roads were smooth and stiff when it needs to be. It's a great setup so far. I will be honest, if you have never driven in a stiff car this may not be the setup for you. I really think it is very similar in feel to an e9x M3. So if you can live that level of stiffness, then you should be fine.

On my commute back home from work, I used to rub 5-6 times in the front, mainly because of the previous setup with dinan springs. With the MPS setup, I did not rub at all. The MPS setup handles the dips, bumps on the freeway amazingly. It soaks up the bumps and moves on.

Final Thoughts:

Mind you, I am on 20" wheels, so it's probably more stiffer due to the wheels/tires, but to me, its perfect. It actually feels very similar to an e9x M3 stiffness wise.

The car does not seem to lift as much as the dinan setup did upon full acceleration from a standstill. Also body roll is minimized. I haven't fully took any hard turns or onramps just yet, as I'm waiting for it to settle a bit and get more comfortable in the way it handles.

Hope this helps those who are looking at doing a suspension setup soon. If I can give any advice, I highly recommend against just doing springs on stock shocks. Those that have done H&R springs on stock msport shocks on a non DHP equipped car need to get the Bilstein B8 shocks immediately. You are definitely missing out, just ask @Sedan_Clan

Pictures:

I have attached some pictures below. The car looks much better in person, the pictures do not do any justice.

The first 4 are of the MPS setup.

The next 3 are the Dinan setup.

The last 3 are stock m sport.
Attached Images

Last edited by vip; 07-25-2018 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 built july 1...........

great write up bro...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticor View Post
great write up bro...
thanks man!

03-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

03-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Looks good.
thanks! You're probably like, this f'n guy can't make his mind up when it comes to suspension lol.
      03-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

sorry If I missed this in your post: how much was the installation cost for MPS?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
sorry If I missed this in your post: how much was the installation cost for MPS?
It took about 3 hours. So factor that time in with your local mechanic. Should not take more than 3 hours. Will take more if you needed the m sport sways. Which I already had on my car.
      03-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Chico
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Looks great VIP...the Dinan were definitely more aggressive in the front. Do the Eibach prokit next...lol!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #10
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Looks great VIP...the Dinan were definitely more aggressive in the front. Do the Eibach prokit next...lol!!
Lmao. Too funny my friend.

Thanks!!!
      03-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #11
richng
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Nice looking car there now
i wish i could see it in person
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:49 AM   #12
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richng View Post
Nice looking car there now
i wish i could see it in person
thanks boss. meet is in order soon!
      03-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
thanks! You're probably like, this f'n guy can't make his mind up when it comes to suspension lol.

Not at all. You were shooting for a certain ride and determined to get it. I don't think you changed your mind of what you wanted, just none of the other setups were what you were looking for. Not like we can go test drive all the different suspensions anywhere since the car is still fairly new. Wish I can just find someone in my area with KW or another coil over close to me to ride in and nothing. Not at least an F30. Plenty of E9x or audis but the system is not the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Not at all. You were shooting for a certain ride and determined to get it. I don't think you changed your mind of what you wanted, just none of the other setups were what you were looking for. Not like we can go test drive all the different suspensions anywhere since the car is still fairly new. Wish I can just find someone in my area with KW or another coil over close to me to ride in and nothing. Not at least an F30. Plenty of E9x or audis but the system is not the same.
Haha, yeah you are right with that statement. Tough to gauge sometimes. Now when I see people running springs on stock shocks, makes me wonder.

Well said my friend!
      03-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep

You say the mps was still compliant over bumps? Of course not as compliant as the m sport I'm sure... I'm going bananas here... If I could only sample them both. For myself I'd just get the mps but have the wife and little baby girl to consider. Jesus it can't be harsher than my stock STI suspension...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You say the mps was still compliant over bumps? Of course not as compliant as the m sport I'm sure... I'm going bananas here... If I could only sample them both. For myself I'd just get the mps but have the wife and little baby girl to consider. Jesus it can't be harsher than my stock STI suspension...
I think it is. A good rule of thumb is if you can manage to live with an e9x stock m3 suspension, you will be fine.

I am on 20s (non run flats) so it's a little harsher than others. If you have 18s or 19s and don't have run flats, you will be fine. If you want comfort, get a KW coil over set.
      03-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #17
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep

I can get the mps for $1100 shipped(can't say from who), I doubt I can get a kW v1 for that... I'm looking for performance don't get me wrong, but I have to concede somewhat to the little girl lol... But if it's m3 like then there should be no issue at all. Very firm, yet I've seen baby seats in 08-11 m3 sedans lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #18
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can get the mps for $1100 shipped(can't say from who), I doubt I can get a kW v1 for that... I'm looking for performance don't get me wrong, but I have to concede somewhat to the little girl lol... But if it's m3 like then there should be no issue at all. Very firm, yet I've seen baby seats in 08-11 m3 sedans lol
yes!!! get it then!! you won't be disappointed.

if you are getting it from a dealer, make sure they include the red springs with the kit. they will need your vin. i ran into that problem. The shocks alone are $1100. Springs are cheap at around $110 a corner.
      03-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

The ride will soften up a bit over time. After the springs settled most of the jarring went away. It's now just nice and firm after about 9mos. Took a couple months to settle, but YMMV. I never had rubbing issues to begin with, so I'm curious how/if the behaviour will change over time for you. Maybe it's just in my head as I got used to it

Thanks a ton for your experimintation. I was considering trying the Dinan springs with the MPS dampners. Now probably not.
      03-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #20
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep

^ yes it's the complete suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #21
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep

Does the mps come assembled? Or are the springs and shocks separate? Curious... I've just decided it will be the mps. But 9 months to settle? Damn that seems like alot
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does the mps come assembled? Or are the springs and shocks separate? Curious... I've just decided it will be the mps. But 9 months to settle? Damn that seems like alot
It does not come assembled. Comes with shocks, springs, spring pads, new bump stops, tophat (i think its tophats) and all the bolts/nuts necessary for install.