BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography I just picked up a Sony HDR-SR7

11-16-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

I just picked up a Sony HDR-SR7

What do you guys think of this camcorder?

I was going to buy the HDR-SR5, but decided to splurge due to my upcoming ED trip.

What kills me is that it seems like yesterday I spent about $1k on my Sony TR-81 hi8 camcorder (then came the tr101 which I always wanted, but never got). In actuality, it was over 14 years ago I bought that tr81.

This camcorder records 1080i, has a 6.1 MP camera and can take pictures even when filming. It also has mechanical stabilizer, 5.1, and a 60G Hard drive.

Gary
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

nice! i got the older version of that (30gb)

only thing that i hate is that theres no where that supports .avchd format as far as i know. so if i wanted to make youtube videos for instance, i would still need to use standard quality instead of hd quality

only method i know of right now that changes that is converting the avchd to mpeg format but to me the quality dies down and sound is a bit off
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

would you, by any chance, know how to fix that? or know of any programs that support avchd?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
would you, by any chance, know how to fix that? or know of any programs that support avchd?
Hey!

You have the HDR-SR5? I almost got that. I bet they're similiar.
Yeah, my camera records in avchd.

Yeah there are alot of programs that support it.
IMovie (latest one: '08)
Pinnacles V11
Sony Vegas (latest edition)

... uh, maybe not alot... but they're out there... I think there's one more but I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

Also, I found out the camera, out of the box is recording at 9MB/sec.
I cranked it to 15MB/sec. I recorded in a dim room for the first time today (I got it this afternoon) and thought it was ok. Then I used the best quality mode and the pictures were excellent, even in a dimly lit room. I wonder what it's going to be like recording outside.

I'll let you know which SW I decided to get.

I'm really excited about this camera. I'm going to order the 4hr battery.
Gary
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 01:41 AM   #5
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Hey!

You have the HDR-SR5? I almost got that. I bet they're similiar.
Yeah, my camera records in avchd.

Yeah there are alot of programs that support it.
IMovie (latest one: '08)
Pinnacles V11
Sony Vegas (latest edition)

... uh, maybe not alot... but they're out there... I think there's one more but I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

Also, I found out the camera, out of the box is recording at 9MB/sec.
I cranked it to 15MB/sec. I recorded in a dim room for the first time today (I got it this afternoon) and thought it was ok. Then I used the best quality mode and the pictures were excellent, even in a dimly lit room. I wonder what it's going to be like recording outside.

I'll let you know which SW I decided to get.

I'm really excited about this camera. I'm going to order the 4hr battery.
Gary
Yup, the HDR-SR5, thats it

Yeah I actually just searched for programs that now support AVCHD and indeed there ARE a couple now! When I first got my camera there wasn't anything at all out yet.

I think the program you left out is the Ulead Video Studio 11
IMO it looks like it has the most features for us AVCHD guys so I think i'll be purchasing it.

Best quality always rules! Just wait til you try it out, outside

Im looking at the HDR-CX7 right now for something that's a little different - this one records on memory stick pro duo.

But yeah as you said, these prices are killer! and there is probably minimal difference anyway
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 02:03 AM   #6
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

do you know if your HD movies show up as two files when you upload them onto your comp? im getting .m2ts and .modd files for each video and im trying out the video studio 11 trial right now but they dont support those two!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
do you know if your HD movies show up as two files when you upload them onto your comp? im getting .m2ts and .modd files for each video and im trying out the video studio 11 trial right now but they dont support those two!
i haven't even browsed my filesystem yet. I will probably do it this weekend. Tonight I got a project to finish. From what I read, they files are .m2ts and another file (probably what you mentioned). Yeah, Ulead was one of them..
I think there is one from Core too. Oh, also Nero. So there's alot out there!
I wanted to try the Pinnacle's sw since I used it years ago.

Buy another camcorder? That's crazy!
I saw the SR5 at costco. They were selling it for $799. That's a damn good price.
Gary
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Gary, any updates?
Appreciate 0