E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Driverside AHL Xenon will not auto level???

03-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Driverside AHL Xenon will not auto level???

I recently upgraded my pre-LCI AHL Xenons to LCI AHL Xenons on my 2007 e90 with FRM1 footwell module.

Problem:
- Driverside xenon headlight does NOT auto-level on start-up like the passenger headlight (it is also pointed too far left).

I took it apart and inspected the servo motor and from what I see the servo motor is installed properly (however I do not know how to test to see if its working properly). The manual adjuster is adjuster all the way so the headlight is aimed right (towards center of car) however it is still not even close to correct and still aims too far left.

Also, could this have anything to do with the fact that I have a FRM1 footwell module and not a FRM2?

Any ideas or recommendations would help!

Last edited by m1ka; 03-20-2014 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

JW, is this having the lights on 'Auto' when you start the car?

I always manually turn the lights on, but to the Auto position. They come on and never move. However, they point at the ground a little. One flick of the high beams on and off and they seem to aim much higher after.

I've seen them level out though when leaving the lights on 'Auto' all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
You can try swapping the control motor between the left and right and see if the issue follows the swap (to the passenger side); it's the same motor with no distinction between left or right side application.
      03-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdLo View Post

I always manually turn the lights on, but to the Auto position. They come on and never move. However, they point at the ground a little. One flick of the high beams on and off and they seem to aim much higher after.

When you don't have it on the AUTO position when you first start the car, the car will auto level with the headlights off (which is why you don't notice it). They are constantly auto leveled "just in case" you need to turn them on at any given moment. Just have a friend power cycle the car (not crank the motor) while you are in front of the headlight in perfect day light... you will see the headlights auto adjust if you look at the lens.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdLo View Post

This is all happening when I start the car with the headlight switch in the AUTO position. Upon doing so, the (good) passenger side headlight auto-adjusts side to side / up and down while the (bad) driver side headlight does nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
m1ka
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
You can try swapping the control motor between the left and right and see if the issue follows the swap (to the passenger side); it's the same motor with no distinction between left or right side application.
Interesting.... that does sound like a good idea. Are the servo motors easy to swap? I know how to do it, however I've never done it. I wish I knew how to test them with a multi-meter.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ka View Post
Interesting.... that does sound like a good idea. Are the servo motors easy to swap? I know how to do it, however I've never done it. I wish I knew how to test them with a multi-meter.
You remove the big center cover and the motor is located towards the bottom and is held in place by two torx screws and a wiring connector. Unplug and swap. Depending on model, you may need to remove the filter box to give you clear access to the driver's side innards.