F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Warped Rotors? F30/335i under 5k miles?
Studio RSR

03-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
335ItotheSky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 8AT-Sport

Warped Rotors? F30/335i under 5k miles?

Hi All,

I "think" my '13 F30 335i M-Sport has developed a brake issue with just under 5k miles on the vehicle...

A) When stopping from high rates of speed (on I-5 heading into LA) down to 30 or 40 mph. - when approaching an "all of the sudden traffic jam" - for example, there is a good deal of shutter from the brake pedal, that feels like the rotors are warped. But, it's hard to tell as it "appears" to only act up under hard braking. If I drive the vehicle as if it's a Honda Accord, the braking system behaves.

B) When starting off, in stop and go traffic, I can feel and audibly hear 1 or more of the caliper's sticking/"creaking." It sounds like a semi-truck coming to a stop (when I start off). In fact I thought it was coming from the trucks near me, but no dice. It's a very minor vibration, to the point that I don't hear it, or really notice it, unless I turn down the radio, but it's certainly present. Period.

I drive the car as I feel it's designed to be driven, but I definitely don't abuse it. In any case, I'm wondering if what I'm feeling could be the "ABS" deciding if it should kick in or not. Or, if it could be a malfunctioning "brake hold" malfunctioning "brake disk drying" function.

Of course, this is likely a case of "the simplest explanation being the correct explanation," but I've performed a search and haven't found any other examples of rotor warping, and surely there are others who are driving their vehicles harder than I am.

My only other thought is that the pads are extremely dirty and a build-up of brake dust is causing the symptoms above. It's a possibility, I suppose.

In any case, thanks in advance for any thoughts any of you may have to share. They're much appreciated!
'12 s1000rr, blue, all options, 100% stock, 200 mi.,
'00 R1150GS
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ItotheSky View Post
Hi All,

I "think" my '13 F30 335i M-Sport has developed a brake issue with just under 5k miles on the vehicle...

A) When stopping from high rates of speed (on I-5 heading into LA) down to 30 or 40 mph. - when approaching an "all of the sudden traffic jam" - for example, there is a good deal of shutter from the brake pedal, that feels like the rotors are warped. But, it's hard to tell as it "appears" to only act up under hard braking. If I drive the vehicle as if it's a Honda Accord, the braking system behaves.

This is typically a sign of warped rotors, or un-even pad wear at the very least. I mean...that's only about 8,000KM, and I've never seen brand new brakes warp that quickly. Low quality ones, yes, but...definitely not OEM BMW ones. That being said, how bad is the shudder?

B) When starting off, in stop and go traffic, I can feel and audibly hear 1 or more of the caliper's sticking/"creaking." It sounds like a semi-truck coming to a stop (when I start off). In fact I thought it was coming from the trucks near me, but no dice. It's a very minor vibration, to the point that I don't hear it, or really notice it, unless I turn down the radio, but it's certainly present. Period.

Could very well be a faulty Caliper, that's not completely releasing when you let off the brake, which could potentially have warped a single rotor or something along those lines.

I drive the car as I feel it's designed to be driven, but I definitely don't abuse it. In any case, I'm wondering if what I'm feeling could be the "ABS" deciding if it should kick in or not. Or, if it could be a malfunctioning "brake hold" malfunctioning "brake disk drying" function.

Of course, this is likely a case of "the simplest explanation being the correct explanation," but I've performed a search and haven't found any other examples of rotor warping, and surely there are others who are driving their vehicles harder than I am.

My only other thought is that the pads are extremely dirty and a build-up of brake dust is causing the symptoms above. It's a possibility, I suppose.

Wouldn't happen. If tha's the case, after one or two hard-stops, it should typically be gone.

In any case, thanks in advance for any thoughts any of you may have to share. They're much appreciated!
Responses in Bold.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
ghostchili
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

Or someone tightened your wheels with an impact gun not a torque wrench.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

OP: my front rotors on my M Performance brakes warped within 15K miles and were replaced under warranty. Same problem, shudder/shake on braking, but I could also feel it in the steering wheel, not just the pedal.
Appreciate 0