GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
gmarshman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Metallic Grey

Wavering...

I understand no one is happy about the wait but I am seriously losing my resolve to own this car. Local Porsche dealer has twelve Caymans on the lot and almost as many 911s. I owned a 4S a decade ago when my kids were smaller. I know every car is a compromise but can someone talk me off the ledge? Currently driving a 2011 M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Unless you have kids, get the 991 4S with a manual.

Another thing to consider is price. 991s have gotten crazy expensive. But they are more fun to drive. On the other hand, I bet the new M3 hits similar numbers as the 911S.

Cayman is also not a bad choice but it does have less utility and speed.

No ones gonna stop you. Just post pics after you buy no matter what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

You should drive a cayman. I drove one and liked a lot about it, but it feels slower than the m3, and I don't think the m3 feels particularly fast unless you are really on the boil in lower gears. I also don't think it looks that great from the back.

The 991 was another ballgame, amazing car and amazing looks. Its also almost twice as expensive as a comparably equipped m3. Plus the utter lack of utility in the 911 range which was an issue for me when I had a 997.

I think the m3 is a great value and a much better choice for DD. it also will most likely be just as quick as a 991s in a straight line, and no slouch in the corners.
      03-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

If the price and space aren't issues I can't see a single argument to not get a 991. It's what I would do. The Cayman is cool as well but for me it would be like getting a M235i, i.e I would lust for the real thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
If the price and space aren't issues I can't see a single argument to not get a 991. It's what I would do. The Cayman is cool as well but for me it would be like getting a M235i, i.e I would lust for the real thing.
this

driving the 991 4s was almost a religious experience. its so much better than the 997 imo, and I liked it way more than the cayman s I drove. would always stare longingly at the 991 if I had a cayman.....

only reason im not getting one is that they are crazy pricey and its really not a smart choice as a long term DD imo, and if you add a second car, with insurance and the cost of the car you have a ton of money into cars....
      03-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
gmarshman
Enlisted Member
Rep

my old 4S was absolutely undriveable in any kind of snow or ice, and there was no discussion of winter tires. My M3 on the other hand--slap winter tires on and its actually pretty fun in the snow.

Unless anything's changed in 10 years I guess check the box for the M.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

If you can swing it financially and lifestyle wise, a 991 4s is going to be an exceptional experience. Look at CPO for the real value IMHO. In addition, a 2 year old CPO 991 4s is not going to depreciate crazy if you decide to trade it in a year later.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

why would anyone mention C4S and M3 in the same sentence...not even close for steering response and feel...C4S much more pure and visceral...M3 a very sporty dd type of car...C4S more a a weekend car imho.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep

I personally do not understand people who deem the 991 a weekend car or 2nd car if you don't have rear seat passengers. It rides well, it's spacious in the front with very good head room and comfortable seats. It's not noisy and it has excellent gear boxes both AT/PDK and MT. It can be had with a all kinds of luxury/ tech. It's one of the most reliable cars built today. It depriciates relatively slowly. What more does people want in a daily driver that think of this car as a weekend car? I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

If I didn't need 4 doors and a usable backseat, a 991 would be high on my list. M3/M4 is more GT than sport compared with Porsche. Both great cars but different. It just depends on your priorities and budget.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I personally do not understand people who deem the 991 a weekend car or 2nd car if you don't have rear seat passengers. It rides well, it's spacious in the front with very good head room and comfortable seats. It's not noisy and it has excellent gear boxes both AT/PDK and MT. It can be had with a all kinds of luxury/ tech. It's one of the most reliable cars built today. It depriciates relatively slowly. What more does people want in a daily driver that think of this car as a weekend car? I don't get it.
question...have you ever owned a 911? because I have, and its not easy to live with. its very small inside, has virtually zero luggage space whatsoever. if I had a gym bag in the car and went grocery shopping, there was not enough space in the frunk to fit even half the groceries. its a PITA quite honestly.

Its a hassle to have as an only car IMO, and even at the age of 30 I wouldn't make that sacrifice again. JMO
      03-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
question...have you ever owned a 911? because I have, and its not easy to live with. its very small inside, has virtually zero luggage space whatsoever. if I had a gym bag in the car and went grocery shopping, there was not enough space in the frunk to fit even half the groceries. its a PITA quite honestly.

Its a hassle to have as an only car IMO, and even at the age of 30 I wouldn't make that sacrifice again. JMO
Not yet but I've owned a 1973 beetle and a few other small cars. Maybe since I' from Europe orignally I've grown up with small cars and I would have zero problem living with a 991 as my daily other than the need to fit my kids in the back. Lack of space is something I can understand as is price but other than that I don't get it. I used to commute on a race bike prior to having kids so a 991 is huge in comparison I.e a larger gear hauler would be my 2nd car not the Porsche. I'm 47 and would gladly make the sacrifice of making an extra round to buy groceries if needed... Funny enough our other car is a Porsche ( Cayenne ).

Last edited by solstice; 03-25-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
gmarshman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

I hear you. My 911 was great for driving myself to work, or if I wanted to cruise around back roads (again, by myself) but for most other applications it had a distinct lack of utility.

--Wasn't comfortable driving it into NYC because of bad roads and parking
--Same when going to they airport, esp. because couldnt' really carry luggage
--No good for family trips
--No good for anything but the lightest shopping trips
--Undriveable in snow/ice

Great car, great driving experience but just not quite USEFUL enough
Appreciate 0