M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

03-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Car wash / detail question and advice

Those of you (if any) who do not have access to be able to wash your car yourself what do you do on a weekly or so basis?

Automated? Any trouble?
Waterless?
Coin operated with your own stuff?
Mobile detailer?
Other?

I recently moved from a house (2 car garage driveway etc) where I did everything myself to a condo downtown (parking garage) where I can do nothing myself.

Been trying to avoid automated by using a hand wash option at the automated but it's not very good and probably worse given the water, mits, etc than just driving through but had some problems with a 550m sport at an automated before due to the width and ride height so with the M5 being lower I am worried about driving through.

I've looked unsuccessfully for any other viable options this far.

Last edited by Mbdurham17; 03-25-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

I would opt for the touch-less car wash, and then use the waterless method (ensure to use a quality product and read the instructions before starting).

Never ever use the power wash wands and dry the car with a microfiber towel. You will end up with a lot of micro scratches on the paint.

I use the power wands all the time in the winter (salt removal) but then I let the car air dry after I'm finished. I'd rather have spots on the car vs. salt! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Thanks for the input yea they may be my solution.

Any trouble driving through the touchless? It's really the rails I was worried about on the low parts of the car and wheels
Appreciate 0