F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Spring install torque specs?
GetBMWParts

03-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Spring install torque specs?

I've done a bunch of searching and I can't find the torque specs for swapping out the springs on the F30. Someone mentioned the Bentley manual but I don't have one. Anyone have access to the specs that they don't mind posting?

I will consider doing a DIY write up on the install if someone can help.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've seen tons of people on here that have changed out there suspension, and no one has torque numbers? the only ones I have seen have been the top strut nut (47 ftlbs I believe) and the three top hat bolts (25 ftlbs I believe).

I did the intstall, but when I go to tighten the top strut nut, the strut just spins... I am not sure if that means it is already too tight or what.. Similarly, when I go to tighten the top three bolts, the torque wrench stays at 25, but the bolt keeps turning with the the needle holding at 25ftlbs.

Also, for people that have changed their springs, I am still getting quite a bit of clunking, now mostly from the rear springs. The install seemed pretty simple, unscrew the sway bar, bottom shock screw, and the large one next to it, drop old spring, and insert new one. I put the new H&R spring in with the writing on it right side up, which I read some where, and put the top and bottom rubber pieces back in the only way they seemed to go.. any ideas?

I would like to go back and retighten all the bolts using the correct bolts and see if I notice anything out of place to figure out what the noises are from. Was waiting until I got the numbers though...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
I've seen tons of people on here that have changed out there suspension, and no one has torque numbers? the only ones I have seen have been the top strut nut (47 ftlbs I believe) and the three top hat bolts (25 ftlbs I believe).

I did the intstall, but when I go to tighten the top strut nut, the strut just spins... I am not sure if that means it is already too tight or what.. Similarly, when I go to tighten the top three bolts, the torque wrench stays at 25, but the bolt keeps turning with the the needle holding at 25ftlbs.

Also, for people that have changed their springs, I am still getting quite a bit of clunking, now mostly from the rear springs. The install seemed pretty simple, unscrew the sway bar, bottom shock screw, and the large one next to it, drop old spring, and insert new one. I put the new H&R spring in with the writing on it right side up, which I read some where, and put the top and bottom rubber pieces back in the only way they seemed to go.. any ideas?

I would like to go back and retighten all the bolts using the correct bolts and see if I notice anything out of place to figure out what the noises are from. Was waiting until I got the numbers though...
The clunking is probably from not tightening the tophat nut enough. Below is the tool you need to properly torque the tophat nut. OR you can just do like I do and get an impact gun that has torque settings and be done with it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I will rent the set at advance to see what I can work out, but right now most of the noise seems to be coming from the rear which I can't really understand
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I will rent the set at advance to see what I can work out, but right now most of the noise seems to be coming from the rear which I can't really understand
It might be that a height sensor hinge reversed itself (pic below has the correct orientation). If you pull down the control arm far enough, the sensor hinge will reach it's max and then reverse. This happened to me one time and I had a lot of knocking/clunking noises until I reversed it back.

If it's not the sensor, it might be the tophat for the rear strut not torqued down enough and or it might be the other bolts that are loose.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help. The sensor, I disconnected the arm and reinstalled it after I finished in the correct orientation, I will double check it though.

I did not remove the shock in the rear, I just disconnected it at the bottom and dropped the spring out by lowering the entire control arm/hub.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ex o: the o2 sensor socket doesn't work for the F30 as it uses a 18mm (not 22mm). I was able to get a offset wrench though that fit perfect. They were definitely loose. I also inspected the rear wheels and tightened the two bolts to 85 ftlbs. I am not sure what, if not all of this worked, but there is no longer any noise from the suspension

There is one problem though.. when I did the install, I definitely over torqued one of the top hat bolts which unfortunately broke off when I went to check it.. I am in the process of trying to extract it without ruining the mount, but dunno if it will work....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
ex o: the o2 sensor socket doesn't work for the F30 as it uses a 18mm (not 22mm). I was able to get a offset wrench though that fit perfect. They were definitely loose. I also inspected the rear wheels and tightened the two bolts to 85 ftlbs. I am not sure what, if not all of this worked, but there is no longer any noise from the suspension

There is one problem though.. when I did the install, I definitely over torqued one of the top hat bolts which unfortunately broke off when I went to check it.. I am in the process of trying to extract it without ruining the mount, but dunno if it will work....
Glad you fixed the noise issue. And good luck in extracting the broken bolt. It seems like you traded one problem for another. On the bright side, at least it's not catastrophic.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #9
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fixed. . Getting new screw today
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
ctodor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i

I found the proper suspension torque specs for the F30

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970605
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Here is a thread with the specs that was posted in the general section.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970605

BTW, seeing you guys DIY, how did you feel the install was in difficulty? similar to E90? more or less same process and what not? same bushings to torque under load, etc?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
syuan92
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Hi everybody, I have an ActiveHybrid 3 Luxury Line with the base suspension and I was wondering if the struts are the same between the base 335i and the sport/m-sport. I am trying to decide on what kind of suspension mod I should do. I'm looking into getting the Dinan set or swapping out my base springs with the m-sport springs. Also, does anybody know if it's possible for me to switch the sway bars on my car with the m-sport sway bars? Is it bad to switch springs without changing the struts? Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0