E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Build thread..now its my A5 :)....not a bimmer

03-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G82

hey all,

iv had the car for just under three months now and i have done a few things to give it bit of Caractere

firstly this is how it started: - A5 3.0 TDI quattro Sport

i had the car lowered on eibach pro kit springs - 25mm at the front and 20mm at the rear.....
this gave the car a nice stance, not crazy low as i dint want it to rub at each speed bump!!! - this pic was at the last e90post meet

i also added a ABT front splitter (seen above).....it lasted for about two weeks!!!!

finally managed to get a real good deal on a Caractere front bumper, only thing is it dint have the fog light surrounds, which actually i dint like too much as the fogs look out of place......

however i gave it to a garage to paint it and fit....MISTAKE!!!! the fitment was awful!!!! i wish i never gave it to them as i would have done a much much better job:

the fender and bumper dint line up as above....

it wasn't properly fitted, hastily done. the bonnet lip was not lining up either, the bumper was going under the bumper.

i spent a couple of hours, basically took the bumper off and trimmed a few fixings and mind over matter prevailed!!!

the bonnet and bumper lined up perfectly:

i also painted the front grill surround in black, which gave a meaner and sportier look.

the fender and bumper also lined up well

now....the grille that they made....i mean cmon, look how shabby and amateur the job is, actually i can't think of any worse:

so, after my couple of hours sorting out the fitting, i also put a new grille, plus fitted a plastic screen behind the grille so that nothing can be seen, but still allowed more than enough air to get to the intercooler and also channeled air to the front brakes:

I will be applying a smoke look to the fogs so it can't be seen too much.

plus the other things done were, side stone deflector (type of side skirt), the window surrounds were painted black (similar to the front grille surround), added 20mm spacers at the rear and 15mm spacers at the front, i think it gives it a much meaner stance:

I also had it remapped by Celtic tuning, now it's claimed to be 300bhp and 435 ft lbs of torque

......still to come:

* rear diffuser, either rieger, caractere or abt
* window tints (possibly just the rear)
* cat back system (possibly milltek)
* LED rear lights (either FL or pre FL)

possibly doing:

* rear spoiler
* RS5 side skirts or rieger
* wrap the car in frost white

well thats it for the first couple of months.......watch this space as the rear diffuser it not far away

Last edited by AnthonyR; 03-30-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Looking good mate.

Looks like you have just about sorted the front bumper.
Like i said, these teething issues with aftermarket front bumpers.

But glad your are going crazy with the modding! Look forward to see MOARRRR progress at the upcoming meets!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

So whats better the bmw or audi?
Looking nice btw
      03-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Looking nice btw
To be honest I do miss the e92, the drive was pleasurable. But I do like all the gizmos and quattro on the a5.....both good tbh
      03-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Coming along nicely Ant!
      03-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Looking nice btw
To be honest I do miss the e92, the drive was pleasurable. But I do like all the gizmos and quattro on the a5.....both good tbh
I had my heart set on an e93 next, but also been looking at the a5 and e class cabs.
Looks like i might have a harder choice next car, i love how the bmw drives but unless u have a 335i/d in a manual the cars doing most the driving for you
      03-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I had my heart set on an e93 next, but also been looking at the a5 and e class cabs.
Looks like i might have a harder choice next car, i love how the bmw drives but unless u have a 335i/d in a manual the cars doing most the driving for you
well i was thinking about an e92 335d, but the bmw turbos dint give me much confidence, but researching in to it i decided on the A5. the merc i felt was more for an older person (maybe when i am nearing 50!! lol). i get decent economy and the drive is very good, plus as Audi is apart of the VAG group it is not difficult or expensive. also as stated the quattro is awesome
      03-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Coming along nicely Ant!
thanks sam.....as you know the modding never stops!!!! help
      03-31-2014, 04:37 AM   #9
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Very nice looking car, like that front bumper cover.

I'm about to sign off a deal on an A5 Sportback Black Edition Quattro to replace my e92 320d. Need the extra doors and boot space.

Living in the sticks I've been stuck a few times despite winter tyres, the Quattro appeals to me.

I tried BMW but they couldn't touch the Audi deal this time. In with the new... :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 04:49 AM   #10
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statler View Post
Very nice looking car, like that front bumper cover.

I'm about to sign off a deal on an A5 Sportback Black Edition Quattro to replace my e92 320d. Need the extra doors and boot space.

Living in the sticks I've been stuck a few times despite winter tyres, the Quattro appeals to me.

I tried BMW but they couldn't touch the Audi deal this time. In with the new... :-)

yea the sportback is nice, a smaller version of the a7.....they have the same bumper for the sportback, so would like to see the modding begin for you as well
      03-31-2014, 05:10 AM   #11
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

very nice dude! love that front end now....glad that splitter didnt last
      03-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #12
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
very nice dude! love that front end now....glad that splitter didnt last
thanks sumil, yea the splitter.........hmmm lol
yea im on the look out for a rear diffuser, so lets see what comes about.
      03-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 Carbon

Looking sweet, i was considering one of them before i got my current car. Couldn't justify the price, that car is ridiculously fast though!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver51090
Looking sweet, i was considering one of them before i got my current car. Couldn't justify the price, that car is ridiculously fast though!
Yes u r right, I could have a LCI e92 for what I paid for the A5, but I actually got good deal so I had to go for it. But the spec was worth it
      03-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

i know you spent ages sorting the mesh, but you need to ditch the chicken wire and get some proper mesh.

i used this on my S4, and it is as near as damn it to genuine RS4(5) mesh that you can buy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-QUALI...item3a8c760747
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

Glad to see a thread on this, good work so far Anthony, the new bumper is a massive improvement over that add-on lip you had for sure. As stated, the chicken wire just needs replacing with something that looks more OEM, then it'll really be looking its best.

Looking forward to seeing more updates

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #17
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube
i know you spent ages sorting the mesh, but you need to ditch the chicken wire and get some proper mesh.

i used this on my S4, and it is as near as damn it to genuine RS4(5) mesh that you can buy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-QUALI...item3a8c760747
Thanks, looks good
      03-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
yea the sportback is nice, a smaller version of the a7.....they have the same bumper for the sportback, so would like to see the modding begin for you as well
It won't be long.
First ever new car for me so I'll start small, LED interior lamps to begin and maybe a thin splitter to extend the nose.

Need to decide on Sport suspension or S-Line Sport suspension. Have a feeling the S-Line, while another 10mm lower will be hard like the M-Sport...

S
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statler
Quote:
It won't be long.
First ever new car for me so I'll start small, LED interior lamps to begin and maybe a thin splitter to extend the nose.

Need to decide on Sport suspension or S-Line Sport suspension. Have a feeling the S-Line, while another 10mm lower will be hard like the M-Sport...

S
Well as far as I knw there are three types of suspension, SE, sport and s line. Depending on what u want, I would say s line as it is lower and yet gives a good ride
      03-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #20
Jcamerz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Very nice I was contemplating the a5 but went for the 335 both very matched cars. Nice mods so far
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #21
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes u r right, I could have a LCI e92 for what I paid for the A5, but I actually got good deal so I had to go for it. But the spec was worth it
Yeah love the a5's when i drive past one i often think did i make the right choice. How do you find the steering. Some people enjoy the lightness, i couldn't stand it. Thats what put the nail in the coffin for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #22
oliver51090
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well as far as I knw there are three types of suspension, SE, sport and s line. Depending on what u want, I would say s line as it is lower and yet gives a good ride
Pretty sure there is only sline and se. Sport cars have the sline suspension. I found it okay not as harsh as everyone says (sline suspension). M sport suspension isnt too bad. Only bad when you hit a gaping mother fu!&£! Of a pot canyon lol
Appreciate 0