E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > e92 HR Sport Spring Install now very loud on bumps?

03-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB

e92 HR Sport Spring Install now very loud on bumps?

Hello, yesterday i installed HR Sport Springs with the stock dampers. Everything went smooth and was buttoned up properly (I think). @ things have happened that were not the day before. First when in reverse and braking there is a metal on metal sound just like when your pads get low. This only happens when braking in reverse and Im pretty sure its only on the front left. When just backing up slowly in reverse doesn't make the sound and when driving and breaking moving forward it doesn't either. I just can't understand what, with brakes would change from forward to reverse.. Any one experience this before? Secondly, as I left my friends house and started driving home, the ride was smooth and responsive when on flat roads. As I started riding on the worse streets of downtown when i would hit a bump I noticed every time there would be a "thumb, or bump" noise and it seems pretty loud. Does anyone know if this is normal? I can't tell 100% but it definitely seems to be coming front the front and potentially from the right. Could something be loose? For the front strut assembly, there is only the top 3 bolts that were removed so we could fit the new spring, the bottom wasn't even loosened as we were able to maneuver the strut out while connected. Im going to double check the top 3 bolts but I just can't see it being the cause. Sorry for lengthy question, just interested if anyone has experienced this before. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drove it today to grab lunch and the reverse meta scraping is no longer present and I also narrowed it the front left. I just hand checked the top 3 strut bolts and they seem tight, the openly other thing even touched (outside of brake lines and sensors) was the swar bar end link so Ill have to pull the tire and take a look. If its not that not sure what else it could be...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did some more research and it is most likely a bad sway bar end link. Ive found upgrades for this (Miley HD) also a Hotchkins adjustable. Since the car is now lowered, what is needed? Adjustable or no? Going to drive me crazy until I get the clunking to go away. And for $60 (miley HD) or $120 (Hothckins) its well worth it. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
JuanSeries
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 320i

I had the same clanking noise even on slight bumpy roads when I first installed H&R sport springs too on the right front of my E90. Had stock dampers too. Had to replace the stabilizer links during the process too as they were already worn out.

I drove my car about 50 miles more thinking that stabilizers would just need to get accustomed to the new ride height before I take them apart again to see what could be the problem. After the first day, no more clanking noise.

You might want to grease the rubber bushings of the stabilizer and retighten the bolts if the noise still persist. You might have just overtightened the bolts the first time.

Last edited by JuanSeries; 04-01-2014 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks Juan, so you drove around some more (50 miles) then you took apart the "xx" what was it? When you say the bushing s of the stabilizer do you mean sway bar? Because I didn't touch those points. The only thing I had to do to install the new springs was remove the 3 top bolts to drop the strut assembly then remove the sway bar end link bolt to push the strut outside of the fender.. Sorry, but what exactly did you take apart? Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
JuanSeries
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 320i

Oh ok sorry I was refering to the swaybars. I removed the links to them as they were worn out when i installed my H&R springs. I just drove the car some 50 miles and the noise went away. Didn't have to take it apart again.

One more thing to look at are the three top bolts you removed. You notice that there's a fourth hole beside one of the 3 holes where the bolts go into. There's a nudge in the upper plate of your suspension that should go in there to act as a guide to properly seat your suspension. If there's none, remove the bolts and rotate the upper plates until you get the position right. That can cause noise too if your suspension is not seated properly. I marked the nudge with a red arrow on the photo below. HTH

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSeries
Oh ok sorry I was refering to the swaybars. I removed the links to them as they were worn out when i installed my H&R springs. I just drove the car some 50 miles and the noise went away. Didn't have to take it apart again.

One more thing to look at are the three top bolts you removed. You notice that there's a fourth hole beside one of the 3 holes where the bolts go into. There's a nudge in the upper plate of your suspension that should go in there to act as a guide to properly seat your suspension. If there's none, remove the bolts and rotate the upper plates until you get the position right. That can cause noise too if your suspension is not seated properly. I marked the nudge with a red arrow on the photo below. HTH

Thanks man much appreciated. I ordered some beefier meyle HD end links and am going to check it all out again this weekend. Thanks again
2005 G35S - SOLD
1988 RX7 TURBO II - SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0