E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > whats too much smoke

04-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

whats too much smoke

n53 325i pre lci

when im stationary at lights, all weather conditions hot cold doesnt matter (obviously does it more when really cold) but i have exhaust smoke that is light grey in colour doesnt have much of smell.
i burn through oil as most 3litres do about 1 litre every 1500 miles. i oil change every 7k. regularly serviced dealer hasnt mentioned anything and they love telling u about problems (out of warranty)
cars being used for mainly short journeys.
cant think of any other information someone might need to help me.

basically is it normal ???
thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I've found some 'smoke' from the exhaust is normal. It's in fact water vapour as our engines burn so lean. Shouldn't really be happening once the engine is up to temp though. Mine uses no oil at all between changes (every 6K).

Might be worth having a compression test or cooling system pressure test to check for head gasket problems...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

going to check it checked out then.

thanks but so you never have to do the top 1 litre of oil??? flags up on the idrive every few k.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
rhysh1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330i

My n53 330i is the same think i top up 1l every 5 months/6000 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

oil usage on these is normal about a litre every 100-1500(depends on how the engines run in seems about right)don't forget the oil is used not only as a lubricant but is used to aid cooling as the car will run above 100 degrees and therefore a certain amount of evaporation will take place, however if you've got oil contamination and your breathers blocked you will see smoke when pulling away after the engines been ticking over say at a set of lights or a roundabout.

The other thing that's starting to show its ugly head is when driving down a hill coasting on a trailing and you press the throttle again you see a large amount of smoke being emitted which we're seeing the odd car come our way with suspected valve guide issues oil use will of course take place here.

Apart from that are you losing oil from the vacuum pump, the oil filter housing or the rocker cover gasket? All known issues with thee cars I'm afraid but worth getting looked into as these will all of course contribute to oil loss.
Appreciate 0