E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N54 automatic transmission alpina flash

04-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
N88888_dawg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
N54 automatic transmission alpina flash

Hi gents, I'm looking for a coder in the UK, preferably midlands area to flash my gearbox with the alpina flash.
I've got an e82 135i and asked the question over on 1addicts, but I'm still yet to get a response.

Also, does anyone know what sort of cost I'll be looking at for the flash?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

You may struggle to get a reply here too buddy as it's been covered a million times.
There is a coding thread here >>
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704363

I suggest you find someone local and give them a call.

WM
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
N88888_dawg
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
You may struggle to get a reply here too buddy as it's been covered a million times.
There is a coding thread here >>
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704363

I suggest you find someone local and give them a call.

WM
Nice one. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Good luck. If you do manage to get it done you won't be dissapointed. its almost dsg quick.

wm
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G82

One word ..... Makkan contact him
      04-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
N88888_dawg
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
One word ..... Makkan contact him
i'm on the case now :P
just a pity he's 200 miles away from me
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by N88888_dawg View Post
i'm on the case now :P
just a pity he's 200 miles away from me
He can do it mobile by 'hijacking' your computer.

You just need the cable i believe
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
N88888_dawg
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
He can do it mobile by 'hijacking' your computer.

You just need the cable i believe
I thought that may be possible. But i'd have to buy the cable which is around 100$ minus import taxes isn't it?
I've asked him for CIC retrofit from CCC, so i may be heading down to him anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
laddington
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

Last thing I want to do is put the coders on here out of a job (especially given that this, at long last, is my first post), but if you are open to doing this yourself I've found the information in the coding section on this forum exceptionally helpful and have been happily coding my car for the past few months.

If you're open to putting in the hours to read through the posts in the coding section, set up the software, and then play around with the coding options it's very rewarding. I've learnt a huge amount about my car and also got rid of some of the things that really annoyed me (e.g. rear wiper stopping in the middle of the screen on ignition off).

The Alpina Flash was probably the most bum clenching one to do and was initially a little disappointing (hated the way the car jerked to a stop when braking as it would downshift into first gear - it's now stopped doing this though and starts from second, so presumably the ECU needed time to adapt?). In Sport mode though, the flash is nothing short of awesome.

Cable wise, I bought one from Cable Shack on eBay and it's proved flawless so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
N88888_dawg
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laddington View Post
Last thing I want to do is put the coders on here out of a job (especially given that this, at long last, is my first post), but if you are open to doing this yourself I've found the information in the coding section on this forum exceptionally helpful and have been happily coding my car for the past few months.

If you're open to putting in the hours to read through the posts in the coding section, set up the software, and then play around with the coding options it's very rewarding. I've learnt a huge amount about my car and also got rid of some of the things that really annoyed me (e.g. rear wiper stopping in the middle of the screen on ignition off).

The Alpina Flash was probably the most bum clenching one to do and was initially a little disappointing (hated the way the car jerked to a stop when braking as it would downshift into first gear - it's now stopped doing this though and starts from second, so presumably the ECU needed time to adapt?). In Sport mode though, the flash is nothing short of awesome.

Cable wise, I bought one from Cable Shack on eBay and it's proved flawless so far.
I've read through the guide a couple of times, and I am technically minded..... But damn the stuff just seems like another language.

I coded a couple of things on my previous car, but that really was very simple to do. I might give the guide another read through whilst I wait for a reply from makkan
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
laddington
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by N88888_dawg View Post
I've read through the guide a couple of times, and I am technically minded..... But damn the stuff just seems like another language.

I coded a couple of things on my previous car, but that really was very simple to do. I might give the guide another read through whilst I wait for a reply from makkan
Same here - kept putting it off as thought that I'd never be able to get my head around it. Was about to get in touch with Makkan but just thought "what the hell" and bought the cable to see if I could do it myself.

The hardest part is setting up the software. I use a XP Mode Virtual PC on Win 7 to set it all up, the advantage of which meant I could keep blowing the Virtual PC away - I went through the set up three times to make sure I fully understood what was going on.

It's one of those things that's actually pretty straightforward to do, it's just unfortunately got a steep learning curve which is mostly due to the software not being particularly user friendly.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
-Ju-
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I flashed the Alpina software myself after reading quite a few guides and getting all the software setup.
I have a fully licensed vcds cable for vag cars and it's a breeze to use in comparison.
I've since retrofitted folding mirrors and done some tweaks here and there.
Its definitely worth the effort though to get your head around it all and the Alpina flash is Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Hardest part of coding is definitely setting up the software, and been a geek at heart I loved trying to work out all the details of coding and generally been able to play with random settings on the car....But it's really good that for people who cannot be bothered to learn to do it there are people around on the forum who offer the service for a reasonable fee
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #14
N88888_dawg
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Hardest part of coding is definitely setting up the software, and been a geek at heart I loved trying to work out all the details of coding and generally been able to play with random settings on the car....But it's really good that for people who cannot be bothered to learn to do it there are people around on the forum who offer the service for a reasonable fee
it's not that i can't be bothered, it's the fact that if i cock it up, i've got 15 grands worth of metal sat on the driveway which i cannot move!

unfortunately, i'm not an expert in every aspect of life...... no one is.
Appreciate 0