E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Motorway speed limits.

View Poll Results: Motorway speed limits
Yes - increase the current limit to 80 mph 14 45.16%
No - the current limit is fine 3 9.68%
Yes - the french system ie. reduce speed in the rain 7 22.58%
No - no limit at all akin to the autobahns 9 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

11-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Motorway speed limits.

The thread relating to undertaking appears to have many references to motorway driving.

I have therefore decided to post a thread to get everyones views on our current national motorway speed limit.

Should the limit be increased to 80 mph ie. similar to the French 81 mph, but without the reduction when raining, or would the increase simply encourage most of us to cruise 10 mph faster above the current speed limit as we do now?

There does appear to be some Police forces around the UK who believe the limit should be increased
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
The thread relating to undertaking appears to have many references to motorway driving.

I have therefore decided to post a thread to get everyones views on our current national motorway speed limit.

Should the limit be increased to 80 mph ie. similar to the French 81 mph, but without the reduction when raining, or would the increase simply encourage most of us to cruise 10 mph faster above the current speed limit as we do now?

There does appear to be some Police forces around the UK who believe the limit should be increased
Yes it should as cars are so much safer than when the limit was set. The green brigade would hate it though as CO2 would be increase
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Streuth Jason, I'd only just finished filling in the poll, clicked enter and there you were. Amazing
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Streuth Jason, I'd only just finished filling in the poll, clicked enter and there you were. Amazing
Im not always that quick, only when I want to be
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Red face

Jason, you're making me blush & I'm sure I don't know what you mean
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Jason, you're making me blush & I'm sure I don't know what you mean
The blushing must be because you are warm for the first time since Friday
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
I'm fond of the German system where limits are introduced in conjested areas, poor weather conditions and when incidents occur. It does seem to work very well for them as well with Gatso enforcement when limits are activated.

Regards

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbmw View Post
The blushing must be because you are warm for the first time since Friday
You are aren't you.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMWard View Post
I'm fond of the German system where limits are introduced in conjested areas, poor weather conditions and when incidents occur. It does seem to work very well for them as well with Gatso enforcement when limits are activated.

Regards

Chris
Good evening Chris,

Interesting points you have made regarding the German system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Germans incorporate as part of their driving test, skid pan tests, winter driving technics etc. This obviously increases the overall price of taking your driving test, but perhaps the system works.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
I think that the speed limit should be increased, but also that it should be only a part of a whole host of measures to increase the safety of our motorway network.

The French system is a neat idea, but how do you implement it. The reduction when it's raining... is that only whilst rain is falling? Only when the road is wet? It can be raining, but the traffic can be creating a dry line through. Equally it might not be raining but the road may still be sodden.

Whilst the German system obviously has a lot of fans amongst the petrol heads I do think that the closing speeds that can be generated could be somewhat scary.

The matrix boards that we have are in short crap! They are far too few and far between to be of any practical use. Then to cap it all off they are manually operated and so always wrong. I have seen them set to 80 numerous times on the M5.

In Holland after a major pile-up they rolled out a fully automated system of matrix boards. Because they are fully automated they work. Becasue they work people trust them and react to them. It did take a major accident in fog to introduce them, but at least they are addressing true causes of accidents and congestion.

Also, we have major sections of motorway that are completely unlit. In this day and age, even just the odd light so that there is even the dimmest glow would make things a lot safer. One night when coming down an unlit section of the M6 in the early hours I came across a car that had spun and taken out every light on it before coming to a halt in the outer two lanes. It was fortunate that the HGV way ahead saw him, weaved through the debris and pulled onto the hard shoulder. I was waiting for the chunks of tyre in the road... not a Primera!

Equally, the replacement of proper police officers with HATO's and cameras will never catch the dimwit idiot drivers out there. Get the speedlimits right and get the police out there to sort out the muppets!

Finally...
Ban all HGV's and Caravans from any overtaking between the hours of 0800 to 1000 and 1600 to 1900. Tonight the M5 was effectively down to one lane whilst the HGV's were playing at who had the speedlimiter set 0.5mph faster than the other one.

End of rant.. until I think of more,

Matt

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
Black Sapphire
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Impreza WRX STI

Quote:
or would the increase simply encourage most of us to cruise 10 mph faster above the current speed limit as we do now?
I do think it should be increased but think the above would be true, I also belive that it wouldn't change anyones driving habits, just they will be travelling quicker!!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Matt as usual very informative and well put.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Ireland
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw 330i

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
Well autobahn is tempting but 80 mph is probably best
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 02:27 AM   #14
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

I have 2 points -

1. When everyone is driving at 85 anyway (and still holding me up) why not go for a limit at 90 - 95 (if at all).

2. I wish to complain about this blatant on-topic abuse of the off-topic forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 03:01 AM   #15
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I think the motorway limit should be variable, if its heavily congested, pissing down or an "incident" ahead then it should be reduced, likewise if its unlit. However if its 2 am, the roads are empty and visibility is good would there be anything wrong with having a 100 limit ?

I think its only a matter of time before we see the overhead cameras (M42 and M4 style) all over, so this sort of system would be feasable.

I also agree with other comments about lorries, up here in Scotland its an absolute joke. I think the road tax for HGV`s needs to be greatly increased and also impossed on foreign lorries when they enter the country, this should then be used to improve the roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
I have 2 points -

1. When everyone is driving at 85 anyway (and still holding me up) why not go for a limit at 90 - 95 (if at all).

2. I wish to complain about this blatant on-topic abuse of the off-topic forum.
+1
      11-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #17
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I'd increase it to 90mph, save for some local restrictions.

No need to reduce for rain as we should all be adjusting our speed to driving conditions anyway.

The speed limit should be a limit not a target.

I'd also increase the HGV limit to 70mph and ban all HGV's from overtaking.

HGV's in the middle lane slow down traffic terribly and are the precurser for most episodes of middle lane hogging and ultimately outside lane queueing.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post

No need to reduce for rain as we should all be adjusting our speed to driving conditions anyway.

HGV's in the middle lane slow down traffic terribly and are the precurser for most episodes of middle lane hogging and ultimately outside lane queueing.

That would be fatal, if you have ever seen what damage a heavy good vehicle can do to a large saloon car let alone a small hatch, you would have NEVER typed that.

That would be SHEER LUNACY to allow a HGV to do 70mph... Many acidents ate caused by HGV on mobiles or not paying attention with fatal consequences, many more people would die on the UK motorway network if something so silly was introduced.
      11-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #19
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

But if the yorkie eating, multiple sim phoning, sleeping, non attention paying trucker hits you at 60 or 70 as a result of simultaneously dropping a chunk / *** / sim into his lap as he nods off to sleep I doubt that you would care which speed he was driving at.

Control the speed or control the phoning / eating / sleeping / farting? Oooh - that's a tough one ......
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #20
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Matt as usual very informative and well put.
Cheers BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
I think the motorway limit should be variable, if its heavily congested, pissing down or an "incident" ahead then it should be reduced, likewise if its unlit. However if its 2 am, the roads are empty and visibility is good would there be anything wrong with having a 100 limit ?
Absolutely. Fully automate it though so that it works right and people trust it enough to take notice.

Quote:
I think its only a matter of time before we see the overhead cameras (M42 and M4 style) all over, so this sort of system would be feasable.
I think you'll see it around major cities (where it makes sense). For the rest it would be great just to have some street lights.

Quote:
I also agree with other comments about lorries, up here in Scotland its an absolute joke. I think the road tax for HGV`s needs to be greatly increased and also impossed on foreign lorries when they enter the country, this should then be used to improve the roads.
We should make more of the fact that we are an island. All incoming HGV's should have to be taxed and inspected before being let onto our roads. You need only have some scrutineers at the ports to do this. You could also drain their diesel tanks to upset them.

Quote:

We should, and there should be proper coppers out on the road sorting out the loons who don't drive to the conditions. Not just looking for those proceding safely at greater than the posted limit.

Quote:
If only people treated it like that.

Quote:

I'd fight shy of letting 44 tonnes travel that quickly. They make a right mess as it is when things go wrong. Remember kinetic energy increases as the square of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
That would be fatal, if you have ever seen what damage a heavy good vehicle can do to a large saloon car let alone a small hatch, you would have NEVER typed that.

That would be SHEER LUNACY to allow a HGV to do 70mph... Many acidents ate caused by HGV on mobiles or not paying attention with fatal consequences, many more people would die on the UK motorway network if something so silly was introduced.
Carlos with a sensible hat on!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #21
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Oooh good post,ok it's not about beemers but it really should be on the main forum,as lets face it we all drive on motorways at some point.

Anyway,increasing the speed will only encourage some to drive 10mph above the new limit,so 80 will become an unofficial 90,it is generally recognised the Police allow a 7% margin of error for speedo innacurracy.
However if the new limit was rigidly enforced then yes ok run with it,but even that would no doubt be challenged in court,because of speedo error.

I think the speed limit on M'ways should be controlled by the time of day,
Rush hour traffic controlled as is,but in between the hours of 8.00p.m. - 5.00a.m. there should be no limit,most people drive within their own limits anyway,that's to say within their own perceived capabilities.OK you will always get the exceptions,but thats only the same as we presently do.
You could argue the same unlimited approach to the middle of the day,however 3 differing time zones will no doubt lead to confusion.

Police presence on the M/ways needs to be increased,not necessarily to catch speeding drivers,but to control the numpties who hog the middle lanes and cause congestion which leads to delays.

Lorries should be taken off the roads where at all possible and more use made of the rail network,increasing HGV tax will have no effect,only on us in increased prices, as the increase will only be passed on.

Our manufacturing capabilities need to be re-established so we are less reliant on imports,this will also lessen the HGV traffic that is only ever increasing.

I'd better stop there as it's starting to sound like a Party Political Broadcast.
Hotcoupe for Roads Minister,you know it makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #22
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
I think you're trying to take on Matt there Hotcoupe (that takes longer to type than your real name), for length of post, but I agree with all your comments - scary

If you become Roads Minister, can I apply for the position of PA? Obviously retaining ALL current Civil Service benefits.
Appreciate 0