E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bump in every wheel revolution

04-03-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

Bump in every wheel revolution

I recently installed a complete new set of brake calipers/rotors/lines/parking brakes. The brakes work great but I feel like the ride is a bit rougher. The funny thing is that I feel a small bump through my steering wheel and body whenever the wheel makes a revolution so it gets faster as I speed up. I notice it the most when I cruise on smooth roads and it's getting pretty annoying. The wheels should be fine since all I did was a brake swap. I checked the wheels and there doesn't seem to be any uneven surface/puncture. It seems to be coming from one of the front wheels. Could it be possible I damaged something while doing the brake swap? What other than the tire could cause this? Could it be a bad bearing or improper bedding?

I should also mention that my abs/dsc/brake light is on so dsc and abs is disabled. After reading the error code, the reason is that I simply need to recalibrate the dsc module.

I really want to figure this out, I'm afraid I'm damaging my car in some way. I'm going to get an alignment and check my tire pressure checked tomorrow to rule out those possibility. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas!

Last edited by Pawlin; 04-03-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Get the car off the ground and spin each wheel by hand to see if one of them is binding, or something is coming into contact with a part that it shouldn't. I bet one of the rotors isn't seated all the way onto the hub.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Pawlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
Get the car off the ground and spin each wheel by hand to see if one of them is binding, or something is coming into contact with a part that it shouldn't. I bet one of the rotors isn't seated all the way onto the hub.
If one of the rotors isn't seated all the way into the hub wouldn't it get straightened out when the wheel lugs are tightened and when the brakes are applied? I should be getting a wobbling when I brake as if I had warped rotors in that case.

After looking through some threads, I think it may be a wheel bearing starting to go out. I did notice a very faint whirling at highway speeds before doing brakes, maybe larger rotors amplifies this. I have cpo extended warranty, the dealer should cover this correct? Also, the abs warning is on and the abs wheel speed sensor is connected to the hub with the bearing so I could see how these are possibly connected.. I want to make sure this is the issue so I can have the dealer replace it instead of paying them to diagnose and find nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Sr_brown11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335XI

My car wobbles a little at low speed on drivers side after I hit a really hard pot hole. Am like 90% positive it's the wheel bearing, so I'll be replacing the hub assembly on driver side with *** wheel Hub assembly I found online for $120
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr_brown11 View Post
My car wobbles a little at low speed on drivers side after I hit a really hard pot hole. Am like 90% positive it's the wheel bearing, so I'll be replacing the hub assembly on driver side with *** wheel Hub assembly I found online for $120
You have a damaged tire or bent rim. The wheel bearing is likely fine unless it is noisy or loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Sr_brown11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankytron View Post
You have a damaged tire or bent rim. The wheel bearing is likely fine unless it is noisy or loose.
its not noisy, it just wobbels when am driving under 20mph
Appreciate 0