F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension bushings
Extreme Powerhouse

04-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
bige1919
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Suspension bushings

I just recently purchased a used 2013 335i sport line with m sport passive suspension. This is my first BMW. My first impression about the suspension is that it's nicely balanced. Very comfortable on rough roads and holds pretty well in the corners although I have not really pushed it yet.

The one thing I've noticed that bothers me is if I'm turning at speed (lets say a highway onramp for example) and hit any kind of medium or large bump, I can really feel the car shift side to side and it's not confidence inspiring at all. Has anyone else noticed this, and is it caused by soft suspension bushings? Lateral link bushings? Control arm bushings?

I'm coming from the Subaru community. I had been driving a 2003 wrx with almost all the stock suspension bushings upgraded to stiffer rubber or urethane, so maybe I was just used to a very firm ride without almost any sloppy movement. But I am surprised with the side to side movement of the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige1919 View Post
I just recently purchased a used 2013 335i sport line with m sport passive suspension. This is my first BMW. My first impression about the suspension is that it's nicely balanced. Very comfortable on rough roads and holds pretty well in the corners although I have not really pushed it yet.

The one thing I've noticed that bothers me is if I'm turning at speed (lets say a highway onramp for example) and hit any kind of medium or large bump, I can really feel the car shift side to side and it's not confidence inspiring at all. Has anyone else noticed this, and is it caused by soft suspension bushings? Lateral link bushings? Control arm bushings?

I'm coming from the Subaru community. I had been driving a 2003 wrx with almost all the stock suspension bushings upgraded to stiffer rubber or urethane, so maybe I was just used to a very firm ride without almost any sloppy movement. But I am surprised with the side to side movement of the 335i.
I currently drive a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT with stock bushings upgraded to polyurethane. While it definitely eliminated a lot of "play", I'm not convinced the noise and vibration was worth it.
Appreciate 0