F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Review: M Performance Suspension on a 328i
Extreme Powerhouse

04-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Review: M Performance Suspension on a 328i

following up on VIP's experience, I thought I'd post a separate thread with my experiences.

car: 328i RWD, 6MT
OEM: base suspension
tires: pilot A/S 3 - 18", non run flats

Buying a car impulsively, I discovered in Canada, the Sportline models needed to add the sports suspension (M-sport) as an option. The leftover 2013 stock I picked up didn't have it. So a bunch of emails were sent back and forth pre delivery (car was in another city). The salesman and genius kept saying it was standard but had mixed up facts compared to the 2014 cars which started to have the M-sport as standard on the Sportline models. I kept insisting it wasn't there and wanted to use the delay in delivery (was on vacation) to install the MPS or at least install the M-sport sways in preparation to install coils or springs/bilsteins or take off M-sport springs/shocks. You always hear of stories how much more Canadian dealers charge compared to US. We don't have mail order suppliers also for parts that reduce the price of MPS.

After reading for hours every suspension topic on this forum and my prior history and experiences with suspension on a prior car, I formed a plan to "do it correctly". That means a well design combination of upgraded sway bars along with properly matched springs/shocks. I knew most coil systems assumed you had the upgraded M-sport sways. Even good combinations like H&R sport w/ Bilsteins would perform properly with the m-sport sways.

Since the dealer messed up, I took delivery with the base suspension with a relatively good quote to install the MPS when parts were ready.

Three weeks later, I was booked in for the MPS. All was good. A week later, I picked up my car with NOTHING done. Apparently the dealer/parts or BMW Canada messed up and there were missing parts in the boxes. This is where the frustration started. Parts were back ordered. Weeks go by, multiple phone calls ….in the end it took over 3 months from delivery to finally get the car the way I wanted. The dealer came through with a further discount so definitely happy in the end. Also had their best tech be advised to take his time. Since I had a pre quoted price I don't care how many hours it took. Reassuring or scary that the tech took his time but learned on my car. 14 hours was the official install time. The book says it should take 6-9 hours.

the MPS review

my basis for a good handling car was my Mk4 Jetta with KW V2 coils. I also owned a early generation Mini Cooper (pilot sports non run flats) so also had a good OEM experience. The Jetta handled better, flatter around turns but had a harsher ride. The Mini was close but a bit of body roll and retained a lot better ride quality. The MPS is definitely in between.

My last car was an E60 545i sport. That car was softer than the other two cars but still better than my Base suspension on the F30.

Ride height with the MPS is not aggressive and that factored in to my choice with this system. i want the handling but minimal drop. all other systems had a good 1/3-1/2" lower. I've lived with lower with the Jetta. not my cup of tea.

it's been a few days and the car's settled. The initial 25 km were scary before it settled. Definitely not composed. It's gotten better after 150km now and feel this is where it'll be from now on.

GTA roads suck and you feel the harshness of the ride now on these roads. Just switched over to summers tires so didn't drive over the same roads with them for long. I noticed the ruts with summer tires but even more so with MPS. Relative scale, I'm getting older and the body and preference is for a more cushy ride. I can live with the MPS. it's definitely better than the Jetta w/ coils but definitely not a luxurious ride anymore. Would it be a non enthusiast "wife approved"? Compared to before, I'd say "no". But not horrible to the point where the wife would not support your choices with YOUR car, not hers. update - 2 weeks later I take the ride isn't wife approved comment back. it is very comfortable ride now. The shocks just needed to be worked in. they now dampen perfectly. Firmer but not harsh anymore.

side note, run flats on the loaner 3 series while it was in the shop were HARSHER than my pilot A/S 3 prior to MPS. The loaner is better than my car with MPS now for harshness

Performance
Really good. Flat out really good. is it better than other systems for F30, it'll take me months and rides in other systems (car meets) to gauge, but at this point, based on my history, I've got a really good set up now. I've exceeded my minimum acceptance for handling in a car.

The stock base suspension was never that bad as many here write about. I only had two weeks in "summer mode" so never got to the limits. The extra lean definitely held me back exploring the limits. My better tires definitely were helping compared with the stock all seasons on the loaner. I delivered with my winter tires so never drove the car in "summer mode". Tires make the car first!

My driving style, I probably could have been happy enough with the M-sport suspension w/ my tires as it'd be closer or exceed the 545i sport or even match the MINI. t have been lucky to really let loose on a few on/off ramps (without traffic). The confidence knowing you have a good suspension means you don't have to slow down and can start exploring limits. I know I have a lot more I could push in the coming months.

Looks

I'll post a few pictures from my phone. A bit dark, but I'll also post some more in the coming week(s). VIP's car already has shown it well. it's obviously a noticeable drop from the base suspension. i like my tire choice (245/40/18) as it doesn't look like I need spacers to fill out the wheel well. Saw a 435xi with my wheel (style 397 - 225/45/18) as a winter tire yesterday and it definitely didn't look wide enough

the MPS isn't a looker. At a recent car meet, it barely gets a notice with all the other more aggressive systems. It's not the point to impress visually. Wheels are where you want to invest if you want a flashy car. Exhaust next. Also having the N54/N55 engine. The 2.0L Turbo also gets no street cred. All issues and factors, I don't give a hoot about.

conclusions
As with any choices you make, it's really hard to test variations of suspension and tire choices. The MPS is an OEM system that costs in between a V1 and V2 coil system. MORE than a V2 if you have a base suspension due to extra install time of the sways. For real world uses it's set up perfectly with the confidence of an OEM R&D behind it. install and forget. Coils especially v2 and v3 have the potential to exceed it and still adjust for street/autoX/full track use. I wanted a DD system that meets my work needs and give me a performance minimum, along with utmost safety of upgrading correctly for family use. Tuning a car for a 25 year old is different than for a 40+ year old. I'm on the older side.

Last edited by focal; 04-22-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

some photos early from the first couple days

once I clean this weekend I'll take better
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

@focal very nice man! if you get 19s, then it should look even nicer!!! so far, loving my setup as well.
      04-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip
@focal very nice man! if you get 19s, then it should look even nicer!!! so far, loving my setup as well.
18" is a good compromise to get some ride comfort. Besides money better spent on MPE.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
18" is a good compromise to get some ride comfort. Besides money better spent on MPE.
If you run the right tire setups and aspect ratios it'll drive the same if not better on 19s ha.
      04-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip
Quote:
If you run the right tire setups and aspect ratios it'll drive the same if not better on 19s ha.
Toronto roads are brutal. You are lucky to only have to contend with rain.

Drive just now. Car seems to settled even more. Getting more compliant. Did you notice that the first few hundred miles?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Toronto roads are brutal. You are lucky to only have to contend with rain.

Drive just now. Car seems to settled even more. Getting more compliant. Did you notice that the first few hundred miles?
yeah you are right on that.

Tough to tell, mine just rides stiff ha.
      04-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

I am curious now what a spring only set up rides like.

Last night's meet, I noticed the wheel gap even tighter on e9x m performance set ups. Those prior systems look even lower.

Just more curious what other systems feel like.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #9
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Looks good! You got the install done at the Yonge/Steeles Dealership it looks like?

Haha, I kind of recognize that back lot, lol.

I saw your original posts about the 245/40/18, was going to go that route, but decided to just put that new tire money towards new wheels.

But, car looks great man!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks. Hopefully this system will last.

^ Wrong. Leslie/eglinton dealer

The roads are extra poor this year. Very diligent for rim busting pot holes. Drive carefully!

Age: my 5yr old kid is loving the extra "bang" and jolt now. To her its an amusement ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Couple more pictures after cleaning and a few more days driving. The system continues to ride better and better. The initial harshness and jarring are mostly gone. it's firm but starting to dampen better over poor roads.

Had a test drive in a m235i over the weekend and my 328i was tighter/firmer and lighter on its feet. The extra weight on the 3.0L definitely affects things. Although that is one sweet motor and car. The engine note on the N55 is intoxicating, compared to the N20.
Attached Images

Last edited by focal; 04-14-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
Photoman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30, 2013 E70

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Thanks for this focal! Car looks amazing too
I have a set of H&Rs in my garage but with the Base Suspension on my Lux Line 328... was trying to source some Bilstein B8s. Don't want to put the H&Rs without proper strut upgrades.

Now wondering if I should just try and find a full M-Sport suspension or MPS instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoman View Post
Thanks for this focal! Car looks amazing too
I have a set of H&Rs in my garage but with the Base Suspension on my Lux Line 328... was trying to source some Bilstein B8s. Don't want to put the H&Rs without proper strut upgrades.

Now wondering if I should just try and find a full M-Sport suspension or MPS instead.
for street use, the Bilstein and H&R should be fine. The only unknown is the sway bars, but I don't think the H&R sports lower so much that it should be an issue. Call H&R, maybe they have more feedback on stock sways.

if you go with MPS, you'll need to install everything including sways. I'd recommend going back to Parkview since they have done mine now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

What wheels and tires do you guys recommend for my 328i with MPS? Right now it's on the stock 17s with 50-profile tires, im driving it without a care because I'm waiting for them to wear out so I can change them

I'm also watching out for good deals on takeoffs. What would you get?
(I must mention I need the convenience of rft).

I'm looking for tight handling, grip and good looks. I don't care about ride comfort.
      04-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

^ any non run flat tires will be awesome. I think up to 19" would be fine as VIP noted with his car.

I run Pilot A/S 3 and am happy with them. Many use the Pilot Super Sports.
Appreciate 0