2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums USA - NY/NJ/PA/CT E38 to F10

04-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
MotormanDan
Motorman at MTA NYC Transit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

E38 to F10

Hello everyone, I currently own a 2001 740iL with 119K on the clock. I think it's time to sell her before she becomes a headache with major repairs, and I also want something newer with the latest iPod/satellite connections. I'm looking really hard at a few 535i Xdrive's in the local area, most likely certified pre owned models from the dealerships. When I bought my 01 e38 I came into the BMW world blind and I wound up paying for that mistake. Before I commit myself to this F10 any thing I should worry about? I read somewhere to avoid the 550 model, I live in NYC and I need awd. I think the 535 will do just fine, plus save me a lot of money on gas. Anyway if you can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanDan View Post
Hello everyone, I currently own a 2001 740iL with 119K on the clock. I think it's time to sell her before she becomes a headache with major repairs, and I also want something newer with the latest iPod/satellite connections. I'm looking really hard at a few 535i Xdrive's in the local area, most likely certified pre owned models from the dealerships. When I bought my 01 e38 I came into the BMW world blind and I wound up paying for that mistake. Before I commit myself to this F10 any thing I should worry about? I read somewhere to avoid the 550 model, I live in NYC and I need awd. I think the 535 will do just fine, plus save me a lot of money on gas. Anyway if you can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks.
If you live in NYC, why do you feel you need the AWD? While I think it is a nice option, I have found a dedicated set of snow tires/wheels to be a great alternative. This way you an still get the rear wheel drive characteristics of a sports sedan, a slightly lighter car with a simpler drivetrain subject to less issues, and the ability to run staggered wheels with absolutely no worries or headaches about screwing up the differential. I have a 2011 535 and this is my 3rd BMW living in NYC and I have never felt that AWD was a necessity. Whenever we get significant snowfall in NYC we get plenty of warning, and the roads are usually in decent driving condition a few hours after the snowfall has conculded. If you lived in a rural area of PA, or upstate NY, I might agree with you, but in NYC I think you could get away without it. As for the 550 vs 535 issue, I find the 535 to have plenty of power for my everyday use. If you really want a little more punch, the JB4 tune gives a cost effective boost in power for just a few hundred bucks. Plus the 535 is a lot friendlier on your wallet with fuel.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
MotormanDan
Motorman at MTA NYC Transit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

I'm moving from Manhattan to Middletown Upstate. Wheels will stay stock. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0