E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Broken Strut Recommendation

04-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
w1Z
Rep
Drives: 335i

Broken Strut Recommendation

Hey everybody.. brand new to the forums.

Wanted your guys opinion/input. Took my e92 335i coupe to the dealership because I've had a strange shaking sensation in the wheel. Asked them to balance the tires but said they were unable to because my tread was so worn (and that this was the reason for the shaking.) I'm probably overdue for tires anyways. My car is a 2009 and I just hit 56k on the odo. Also, the dealership said my front right strut is leaking. They wanted $1000 for the strut + labor.

My question to you guys is this: What is the OEM strut (M-Sport Suspension) and where can I get it. I'm also interested in maybe getting a KW kit instead of just replacing the one strut. The way I figure it, the other one will need to replaced soon enough. Plus, I wouldn't mind being dropped a little bit . $1000 bucks is better spent on the KW kit than a single strut lol. If I get the KW kit, do I need anything else? My friend said I might need some kind of bar in the suspension?

Any input/help is appreciated!!

w1Z
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Welcome aboard! Realoem.com and ecstuning.com will be your friend if you are looking to replace one strut. I just did my H&R coilovers last weekend and got a new rear shock mount kit, for the front I got new pinch bolts for the spindle housing, new spring pads, new endlinks and I bought camber plates and pre-assembled everything to save some time. But if camber plates are not in your budget, ecs has kits for the front and rear including all hardware, and perches and mounts you need. As for getting KW's look in the suspension section on vendors classifieds for good pricing or ecs or **********s carries them as well
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
good suggestion above. If you can find the part number of the broken strut (either by seeing it on the strut or looking it up on realoem, you can google search the part number (make sure you find the one for m-sport, not the non-sport). I've seen sport package struts made by SACHS (BMW OEM supplier) as cheap as $150, you might see even less.

I can't imagine an independent shop charging you more than 2 hours for install of one strut.

On the coilovers, don't know about the bar thing. Maybe sway bar? If sway bar, that wouldn't be required.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1Z View Post

Wanted your guys opinion/input. Took my e92 335i coupe to the dealership because I've had a strange shaking sensation in the wheel. Asked them to balance the tires but said they were unable to because my tread was so worn (and that this was the reason for the shaking.) I'm probably overdue for tires anyways. My car is a 2009 and I just hit 56k on the odo. Also, the dealership said my front right strut is leaking. They wanted $1000 for the strut + labor.

My question to you guys is this: What is the OEM strut (M-Sport Suspension) and where can I get it. I'm also interested in maybe getting a KW kit instead of just replacing the one strut. The way I figure it, the other one will need to replaced soon enough. Plus, I wouldn't mind being dropped a little bit . $1000 bucks is better spent on the KW kit than a single strut lol. If I get the KW kit, do I need anything else? My friend said I might need some kind of bar in the suspension?
Hoo boy, here we go....$1000 a major rip for one shock.

For touch more, Koni FSD's all 'round will put a smile on yer mug, as ya'll got sport springs.

If you're really cool, you're acquiring Yellows + Eibach Sports. Linear springs; excellent shocks.

Hey....either setup's going to squelch pothole explosions.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:

And find a good Indy - you're out of warranty!

Michelin PSS tires, please.

Your suspension arms of made of steel and your bushings are liquid filled rubber. Look to M3 parts, crossout replacements and grossly superior.

For you boys near Marin County, CA -- forget the dealer in San Rafael. Seriously. Check Bill Arnold BMW, about a mile away. Famous as the best shop around, and no service advisors.....Hallelujah! Bill talks to you directly.

Dealers certainly useful for recalls + warranty work, but after that....you are a target.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:

My car is a 2009 and I just hit 56k on the odo. Also, the dealership said my front right strut is leaking. They wanted $1000 for the strut + labor.

Any input/help is appreciated!!

w1Z
Get the KW kit or just go with Bilstein B6 or B8 struts/shocks and call it a day.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Jesus Christ! For $1000 you can get a set of used coilovers (or new ST coilovers) installed and they want that much for one shock? I would never go back to that place. You can get the shock for under $200 and an hour of labor at most places.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
You should change suspension parts in pairs (both sides)
      04-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep

In that case it's $2000. That is true though you should change them out in pairs
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
w1Z
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
Welcome aboard! Realoem.com and ecstuning.com will be your friend if you are looking to replace one strut. I just did my H&R coilovers last weekend and got a new rear shock mount kit, for the front I got new pinch bolts for the spindle housing, new spring pads, new endlinks and I bought camber plates and pre-assembled everything to save some time. But if camber plates are not in your budget, ecs has kits for the front and rear including all hardware, and perches and mounts you need. As for getting KW's look in the suspension section on vendors classifieds for good pricing or ecs or **********s carries them as well
Wow thanks all you guys for the responses! Never knew I'd get so many haha. My last vehicle forum was garbo compared to y'all. Anyways.. I'm curious on what to get now because I'm hearing so many great ideas.

In short.. what would be the most cost effective way--best bang for the buck--and would lower my car? KW kit? H&R coils? And curious.. if I'm replacing the struts should I just do the rear shocks too?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

It's entirely up to you what coilover system you want to go with. I chose H&R just because I like them more and everyone uses KW and just wanted to be a little different. But KW strut and shock body are corrosion resistant unlike H&R but you can get spray wax that just washes off with soap as a protectant in the winter. Also it's nice with H&R how easy the rear is to adjust. With a coilover system you get the front struts and springs and for the rear you get the springs and shocks. Coilovers are nice because you can really dial in where you want to be with your drop and they are dampened and valved differently, unlike a spring an shock combo such as H&R springs with koni yellows (just an example) that have a fixed drop. Also if kW or H&R are too expensive for your budget a couple companies such as st (same manufacturer as KW) or bc racing or fk silverline, Megan racing make a more affordable set up. I never really read up on them because x drive is limited to what options are available. Hope this is a little help and correct me if I'm wrong guys or misstated something

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

For about $350 you can replace all four corners with the Bilstein B4s. These are basically OEM replacements.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I replaced my rear's with Koni yellows and have yet to do the front's car feels fine
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Look at Bilstein or Koni for new struts in the front. You could get all 4 wheels parts for under $650.00 if you get Bilstein's. Look at B6 labor might run you another $400-500 for install should you not want to venture that way. Lots of DIYs on this but you do need the right tools.

Tires - Michelin Sport a/s 3 or Goodyear F1 a/s

Probably looking at $800-900 for an m-sport set up.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep

The rear shocks are easy to install. 2 bolts (at least on my E90 it was), if you want to save $$ on labor.
Appreciate 0