E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Is This All I Need for a Drop?

04-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
StayClassy7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Is This All I Need for a Drop?

Is this literally all I need to take to my mechanic to lower my car?
If not, then what am i missing here? Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-RACE-SPR...#ht_1842wt_837
      04-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Short answer Yes. But be aware that the H&R Race springs are very aggressive - I am going to say close to 2" drop or more. This will eat through your stock shocks so I would recommend replacing those as well, especially if you have over say 60-70K miles.

If you go with a milder setup i.e. H&R Sports or Eibach Prokits or Sportlines, you can get away without replacing your shocks for a bit longer but will still have to eventually do so.

Also, if you think you want to play around with settings and ride height, you should get coils. I don't bother with them because I always research to find the perfect drop before I buy and I like a spring and damper setup better
      04-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

This assumes you are installing the springs or OEM shocks and struts. This is not the way to go because it will increase wear and tear. You should get shocks\struts to match the springs.

I has the H&R Touring Cup kit, which has H&R sports springs and the car was LOW. I mean so low that I could not got up some driveways, mind you race springs are even lower. You will scrape like a mofo and some shops will have a hard time lifting your car. Also the ride will be pretty harsh especially when you hit bumps but on the plus side the car will turn on a dime.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
StayClassy7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
Short answer Yes. But be aware that the H&R Race springs are very aggressive - I am going to say close to 2" drop or more. This will eat through your stock shocks so I would recommend replacing those as well, especially if you have over say 60-70K miles.

If you go with a milder setup i.e. H&R Sports or Eibach Prokits or Sportlines, you can get away without replacing your shocks for a bit longer but will still have to eventually do so.

Also, if you think you want to play around with settings and ride height, you should get coils. I don't bother with them because I always research to find the perfect drop before I buy and I like a spring and damper setup better
Thanks for the info, would you mind posting a link as to where on can purchase your recommended springs? I plan to get new shocks, but 30-40 days after installing the springs. My car is sitting at 80k right now, do you think I'll be good until then? Also, how dangerous is it if my shocks go out while on the highway? Will I lose control of the vehicle?
      04-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
StayClassy7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
This assumes you are installing the springs or OEM shocks and struts. This is not the way to go because it will increase wear and tear. You should get shocks\struts to match the springs.

I has the H&R Touring Cup kit, which has H&R sports springs and the car was LOW. I mean so low that I could not got up some driveways, mind you race springs are even lower. You will scrape like a mofo and some shops will have a hard time lifting your car. Also the ride will be pretty harsh especially when you hit bumps but on the plus side the car will turn on a dime.
How much does the H&R Touring Cup kit, usually go for online? And I'm putting on 19x10 rims the same day as the drop, what would be the ideal height for those massive wheels?
      04-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayClassy7 View Post
How much does the H&R Touring Cup kit, usually go for online? And I'm putting on 19x10 rims the same day as the drop, what would be the ideal height for those massive wheels?
It like around $700. Don't know if you will be able to mount 19s with that drop though. I had the sports springs setup with a set of 18s and there was like zero gap. With 19s you might rub given you have race springs; not sure though maybe someone else can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayClassy7 View Post
Thanks for the info, would you mind posting a link as to where on can purchase your recommended springs? I plan to get new shocks, but 30-40 days after installing the springs. My car is sitting at 80k right now, do you think I'll be good until then? Also, how dangerous is it if my shocks go out while on the highway? Will I lose control of the vehicle?
Long post:

I put on my springs at 83K (car has 84K now). I would highly recommend not putting too aggressive springs on it, at the same time you want to make sure that you do get a decent drop.
Go for the H&R Sports: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...lar=Base+Model
or from other vendors (ECS, Mbargains, Turner motorsports)

or the Eibach Sportline:

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...lar=Base+Model

both advertise similar drops but the H&R sports will drop it a 1/4" more than sportline. My friend has a 335I with the H&R and it's a little bit lower than my 328I on the sport lines.
I also noticed you are getting 19x10 rims...you shouldn't go too low ride height otherwise you'll run into serious fitment issues - I fit 19x9.5 ET20 (that's a low offset) on my E90 with the Eibachs and I still had to roll my fenders and it still rubs occasionally

As for springs on stock shocks, I put Tein springs on my old Acura with 140K still drove fine. I would obviously recommend getting a set of new shocks and I plan on getting a set of Konis very soon (in the next 5K miles) - they will lower your car an 1/4" more, will take it back to good comfort and handling. But until you upgrade, you want to take it easy on your stock shocks and not go all out. It is better if you buy both springs and shocks at the same time - save the hassle of installation twice and the shocks will change the handling and comfort of the car for the better.

Search through the forum and internet for pics of the springs installed on E90s to get a better idea for the drop.
Good luck.
      04-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
We have those same springs for a bit less, we're generally much less expensive than eBay

http://www.vr-speed.com/h-r-06-bmw-3...-50490-88.html
Appreciate 0